GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note that there is both a Honda and a Big Bike Parts version of an 'accessory socket kit for installation in the left front pocket. Two questions:

- are these sockets sized for BMW type or cigar lighter type plugs?
- are there other socket kits intended for mounting elsewhere on GL1800s,
and is there plug and play wiring connectors elsewhere on the GL1800?

Thank you.

D

·
0 Posts
I note that there is both a Honda and a Big Bike Parts version of an 'accessory socket kit for installation in the left front pocket. Two questions:

- are these sockets sized for BMW type or cigar lighter type plugs?
- are there other socket kits intended for mounting elsewhere on GL1800s,
and is there plug and play wiring connectors elsewhere on the GL1800?

Thank you.
I just had two installed before I picked up my new wing last Saturday.

Ciggy sized, not BMW sized.
Mine was installed in the left lower faring near the suspension adjustment controls, and beside the rear seat heater controls on the left side.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cigar in left pocket that is powered in ACC. and ON. There is a connector in trunk that is powered at all times.
Thanks Ron. Do you know of a BMW type plug and play socket available for the GL1800, and especially one with a cover that can be mounted outside? I want to be able to use BMW type plugs for heated clothing and to connect a Battery Tender.

Best,
Ben

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had two installed before I picked up my new wing last Saturday.

Ciggy sized, not BMW sized.
Mine was installed in the left lower faring near the suspension adjustment controls, and beside the rear seat heater controls on the left side.
PM sent. Thanks.
Ben

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Yes, don't even bother with the plug and play one that goes in the fairing pocket: underpowered for any normal use!! Better to install one directly to the battery in another spot...then you can use a compressor or whatever...

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, don't even bother with the plug and play one that goes in the fairing pocket: underpowered for any normal use!! Better to install one directly to the battery in another spot...then you can use a compressor or whatever...
Thanks Beverly.
Best,
Ben

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think you'll be interested in the answer to this one too.

EC makes a plug and play socket that mounts in the trunk and is on a 15A (always powered) circuit. Since this is on a 15A fuse, would the OEM wiring be capable of hanling a 10A load back there?

I'd like to use that socket for a small compressor rather than put an SAE connector at the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts