GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12v dc accessory socket (in the left fairing pocket) on my '09 gl1800 is giv ing me trouble.

It was ok when I had my blackberry charger plugged into it.......however when i went to use an air compressor to top up the air in the tires, it ran for about 15 seconds and then stopped. Now nothing works when plugged in. I suspect a blown fuse. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Any suggestions for an air pump to inflate tires when there is no other vehicle around to use as a power source?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Greg, you need to add another power source in the seat area our the trunk that will carry the load of a compressor. The one in the left front pocket is designed to run/charge your phone and is rated at 5amps.

Yes, I would think you have blown a fuse, too.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep......replace the fuse, it is gone.

Go get a couple alligator clips and solder and heat shrink them to the wires on the little compressor.

When you need it just pull the bike side cover and hook direct to the battery

You could even get fancy if you want and put a inline fuse in the positive wire side.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I have the Gerbing heated gear wiring hooked to the battery, then wired my compressor with the same kind of plug so if I need the compressor, just plug it right in. Works great. Well I've never used it actually thankfully, but it worked in my tests anyways.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
there is a fuse in the fuse box for this outlet. However, on mine, there is another inline fuse under the pocket. just wanted you to know in case the fuse you first find isn't the problem.:thumbup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question

Greg, you need to add another power source in the seat area our the trunk that will carry the load of a compressor. The one in the left front pocket is designed to run/charge your phone and is rated at 5amps.

Yes, I would think you have blown a fuse, too.
I checked the fuses but none of the 5 amp ones appear to be blown.

Another 'Poster' said that there is also a 2nd fuse for the socket under the fairing pocket. Any idea how to get at it?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I checked the fuses but none of the 5 amp ones appear to be blown.

Another 'Poster' said that there is also a 2nd fuse for the socket under the fairing pocket. Any idea how to get at it?
Dunno, is the socket installed by you or another rider?? Factory install or dealer. Some older bikes did have a fuse under the pocket. Not sure if the new ones do or not, I have never put one in. Just wire the socket up to the power connector. Let that fuse handle it.

Sometimes there is a fuse in the plug of the pump , could be and that could be blown. Sometimes the actual plug will not make proper contact , test the plug with a tester and see if you have proper voltage.

If there is an additional fuse installed by someone it will be under the pocket box, side trim off, two push pins and two screws. It will be under there.

Oh maybe it is wired to the accessory block??

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question

there is a fuse in the fuse box for this outlet. However, on mine, there is another inline fuse under the pocket. just wanted you to know in case the fuse you first find isn't the problem.:thumbup:
I checked the fuses in the box box and none of themm seem to be defective/burnt-out.

Any idea how to get at the other one you refer to.........the inline one under the pocket?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I checked the fuses in the box box and none of themm seem to be defective/burnt-out.

Any idea how to get at the other one you refer to.........the inline one under the pocket?

Remove the pocket by taking out the clips push the center of them in until they click you can then remove them

The fuse will most likely be a glass fuse in a holder

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Go to a truck stop store, get a power socket with alligator clips.

Get a "Slime" air pump.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/portab...mpressor&lpf=0&lpq=Slime Air Pump&FORM=CMSMEE

Clip the power socket to your battery, plug the Slime pump into the power socket. No cutting wires, soldering or anything involved.

And you can use your Slime air pump on any other vehicles that might happen to already have a 12v power socket (with appropriate amperage rating).

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have a battery tender just hook it up to the connector that is hooked to your battery. Makes it so much easier for charging your battery in the winter. I have a regular plug on my slime compressor and I just hook in a cigarette lighter socket into the battery tender connection on the bike and compress air to my hearts content. remember to not run the compressor longer than the manufacturers reccomemded operation time and if your compressor has a brass valve on the air hose, wear gloves when removing the connection from the valve stem on the wheel. That fitting gets hot!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1

+1 on the Slime Air Pump

Go to a truck stop store, get a power socket with alligator clips.

Get a "Slime" air pump.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/portab...mpressor&lpf=0&lpq=Slime Air Pump&FORM=CMSMEE

Clip the power socket to your battery, plug the Slime pump into the power socket. No cutting wires, soldering or anything involved.

And you can use your Slime air pump on any other vehicles that might happen to already have a 12v power socket (with appropriate amperage rating).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Remove the pocket by taking out the clips push the center of them in until they click you can then remove them

The fuse will most likely be a glass fuse in a holder

That Pedro is a pretty sharp guy...

Four rivets in the corners of the box... push the little round center post about 1/4" in and then hook under their edge and pull them out. You will need to lift up on the edge of the box closest to the switch panel and lift it out. Follow the wires and between the cig lighter and the main harness there MAY be a white (on my bike) plastic holder. Like Pedro said, it will be a glass fuse. Since this circuit protection is redundant, you could either remove the fuse holder and tie the wire direct in, eliminating this fuse (the circuit is still protected by the other fuse) or as I did, replace it with a heavier fuse (mine is a 20 amp) so you wont need to replace it ever again.

The box can be put back in place and the push pins in the middle of the rivets can be pushed back up so the center pin sticks out the front of the rivet. The rivet is then pushed back into the hole and the pin pressed back down. Repeat for each corner. Done. :thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,468 Posts
Steve, a 20 amp fuse will more than likely let you overload the wires that were built for no more than 5 amps, this can and will cause smoke. Before you get defensive, consider the main wiring harness runs around $1500 just for the part, and that's not counting the damage from the fire to the rest of the bike. That fuse is only redundant on the 06 and later bikes, the earlier ones don't have the fuse in the box tied to the accessory socket in the pocket. I believe that's why the Honda accessory plug has it's own fuse. Air compressors should be run thru a heavy fuse with heavy wire from the battery, the bikes wiring was not built for it.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Steve, a 20 amp fuse will more than likely let you overload the wires that were built for no more than 5 amps, this can and will cause smoke. Before you get defensive, consider the main wiring harness runs around $1500 just for the part, and that's not counting the damage from the fire to the rest of the bike. That fuse is only redundant on the 06 and later bikes, the earlier ones don't have the fuse in the box tied to the accessory socket in the pocket. I believe that's why the Honda accessory plug has it's own fuse. Air compressors should be run thru a heavy fuse with heavy wire from the battery, the bikes wiring was not built for it.
No defensiveness here, as I am always willing to learn. The heated grips and accessory socket are on the same accessory circuit which in my wiring diagram are protected through fuse #21 on the '01. That would make the fuse under the box redundant. Your point is well taken that the fuse in that circuit is a 15 amp and the wiring would not be appropriate to run a compressor off of. That is something that I personally would never do anyway, and in my opinion, that had already been covered in this post several times. It seemed to me that the OP was trying to restore his accessory socket so it would function with his charger, not something that will burn up the wiring. My advise to bypass the fuse or replace it with a 20 amp is not good advise for others. Mine will stay and the circuit is still protected up to 15 amps, as the original wiring was designed for, albeit that would include the heated grip draw if my bike was so equipped. Mine will never have anywhere near that going through that circuit.

Thanks for your wise expertise. Seriously.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,468 Posts
The redundant fuse I was talking about is number 6 at the bottom left in this diagram. This is the 01-05 wiring, on the 06 and later bikes that fuse, labeled #10, is wired to be a redundant 5 amp for the accessory socket if installed. The 15 amp that powers the whole accessory circuit is already loaded pretty good even without the grip heaters. Allowing more than 5 amps up the socket branch could do some damage to the junction connectors (dots) if it gets too high and still not blow the 15 amp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts