GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The accessory terminal on the fuse panel has a 5 amp fuse in it. If I needed more capacity can I simply replace it with a 10 amp fuse?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I was wondering the same thing...on your scoot...is it fuse #4 or #21...I have had people tell me both...

·
Registered
787 Posts
entrop said:
The accessory terminal on the fuse panel has a 5 amp fuse in it. If I needed more capacity can I simply replace it with a 10 amp fuse?
I certainly wouldn't recommend it due to the possibility of exceeding the design capacity of the circuit. You could be asking for serious trouble. :wink:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clearly that's the safe assumption, but coming off the fuse panel there is no "circuit" or any sort of wiring until you hook something up to the screw terminals, and the other side of the fuse is the same power supply that runs the lights, starter, etc. Off course, there's a whole lot I don't know about electricity. Without the OK of someone who really knows his stuff, I wouldn't do it.

Jerry, without looking at the bike I can't tell you the bus number, but I remember it being on the upper left.

·
Registered
787 Posts
entrop said:
Without the OK of someone who really knows his stuff, I wouldn't do it.
This is straight from a Honda Tech Bulletin. Since they designed and built the bike, I have to assume they know their stuff.

Many Gold Wing 1800 customers add electrical accessories to their bikes. When you're connecting accessories to the electrical system, it's very important that a good ground is used. It may be tempting to use the accessory terminal in the fuse box, but we advise against this. These terminals are rated at a maximum of 5 amps. If you exceed this rating you'll overload the capacity of the wires, which may cause overheating, a short, or accessory damage/failure.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
entrop said:
...and the other side of the fuse is the same power supply that runs the lights, starter, etc.
Not exactly. The accessory + terminal is powered off of the accessory relay which draws power through the audio/accessory fuse (#21). The wire from the relay to the ACC. + terminal is what the 5-amp fuse is protecting - bad idea to replace it with a higher capacity fuse.

Note that the accessory neg. terminal has it's own separate wire to ground, and it's not fused at all. So don't connect the ground wires of too many circuits to that terminal, or you'll melt the wire. This problem is what prompted Honda to issue the service bulletin referenced by Diavalos.

Stu O

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Now I'm totally confused...according to the 2006 Honda Service Manual fuse #21 protects the Stop Light Relay...fuse #25 protects the Accessory Relay...fuse #10 is the ACC Term fuse which protects the Accessory Power Socket (Optional)...thats what it says...having said all that (I don't know why I did)..I wouldnt change the 5 amps fuse to 10 amps... :banghead:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Use the assy terminal to control a relay. Then all amps are going through the relay and not the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
Now I'm totally confused...according to the 2006 Honda Service Manual....
There are 5 other year models of GL1800. The '06 is different than the others, but the same principle applies; the accessory terminal is not attached to a bus bar. BTW, fuse #10 on your '06 protects both the accessory terminal screws AND the optional socket - but it's still a 5-amp fuse. That makes the accessory socket pretty useless if there's already something drawing a few amps from the accessory terminals.

Stu

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
zaT111 said:
I would not recommend it, designed for only 5 amp load. Add an EC power plate for your accessories, six outputs, up to 30 amps total. It is a clean and easy install, the matching ground plate works well also.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate.htm

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=963&str=4&ID=723514821
Thats what I'm going to do...along with Fred H's Grounding strip...then hang all my accesories (under 30 amps) off of them...this was great...THANKS ALL!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts