GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used the bike to get there, and we need to stay in shape to ride, so I put it here.

Accidental exercise
I have been feeling bad lately, but woke today feeling halfway decent, so
Niki and I went for a ride to Jackson / St. Francisville area, ate at the Roadside BBQ
(very good!) then went the the Port Hudson National Park. Kinda small, but still
pretty interesting. We decided to go walk the trail..... not the finest decision that day.
... Looking at us, you may not be able to tell, but we're not in the best physical condition.
But hey, it's shady, we're not in a hurry, we can take breaks, right?
After about 1/4 mile, we realized there would be no breaks on this hike, in fact no
walking slow, or we would have been suffering from blood loss by the end of the trail.
Good grief, I had heard the term "swarms of mosquitoes" before, but never experienced it.
I had some papers in my hand, and was able to slightly discourage the wimpy ones.
But there were plenty of Gonzoskeeters, no paper was gonna discourage them.
Every swat on Nikis' back killed 5 - 8 at a time. I was more fortunate, Niki had used some
Walgreens brand sunscreen, that the skeeters loved. They were on her 10 to 1 on me.
This is much better than using a personal trainer... up hills, gasping for breath, but we
were like Rocky on the steps, no way we could stop. We got a little lightheaded, not
sure if it was from being out of breath, or loss of blood. Made a couple of wrong turns,
because we couldn't stand still long enough at the trail markers to see which way to go.
Finally got back to the museum, went inside for A/C refresher, then hopped on the Wing and
headed home, just beating the major storm. Can't wait to do it again!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hope you all have enough energy to scratch those bites tonight! :thumbup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can relate, except we got caught IN the major storm on the hike back.
Excellent story!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
You are lucky. The big did not show up to carry you off. Often they weight until you are weakened by blood loss, first.
That is the state bird, no?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts