GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time to depart Tucson and ride to Eureka Springs is quickly approaching! I have been monitoring the National Weather Service web site for a few days and see thunder storms, rain, possible strong storm warnings, etc. For the local guys, what websites do you use for a more comprehensive and accurate forecast (preferably extended)? My immediate plans are to arrive in Eureka Springs 5/12 and hang around for 4-5 days. TIA

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ssncob

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,878 Posts
The time to depart Tucson and ride to Eureka Springs is quickly approaching! I have been monitoring the National Weather Service web site for a few days and see thunder storms, rain, possible strong storm warnings, etc. For the local guys, what websites do you use for a more comprehensive and accurate forecast (preferably extended)? My immediate plans are to arrive in Eureka Springs 5/12 and hang around for 4-5 days. TIA

Mike
Don't get me started with the weather guesses!!! :lol:

For starters I use the national weather service and the weather channel. Sometimes I will bring others into the mix. I have not had much luck relying on just one particular service. After close examination of several, I can get a pretty good idea of what it is going to do, and where.

But, even with that the guessers can fool you. For example, I get up real early and check the forecast for the day and find it hasn't changed over night. I get ready to pull out an hour or so later and see rain clouds or more wind then expected. I go back in to check the weather, and the forecast has changed and now reflects what I am seeing. Grrrrr!!!

So don't expect pinpoint accuracy and you will be fine.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip !!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you're trying to look beyond the latest available radar, I routinely use and recommend http://wxweb.meteostar.com/. This is one of the main sites meteorologists use to create their news forecasts and this site was recommended to me by a Marine Corps Meteorologist I used to work with.

Capture.jpg Capture1.jpg Capture3.jpg Capture4.JPG

-From the home page, select Forecast>Models (first graphic).

-Pick the portion of the country you're interested in (second graphic). GFS Model Forecasts goes out further in time, but NAM is a bit more accurate (in my experience). I usually look at both, in that order. Each box in the following page is a recently released forecast model (third graphic).

-Select Precipitation in the first box for the most recent forecast model. (Sometimes the latest NAM only gives a very short amount of time. When it does, simply back up one step and select the next one.) Drag the bar in the box down to Precipitation and select it. Give it a moment for the model to load. As long as yellow boxes show up in the advance bar, it's not done. You'll recognize it when you see it.

-Click on the green (advance) bar at the top and drag the bar left and right to advance/back up in time to track the model in increments (fourth graphic). You'll see the day/date/time change with the bar. Time is in GMT. You'll need to convert it mentally (-4 through -7 hours for your own timezone).

Happy planning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts