GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for a 2 week ride on my 2018 non tour DCT so I thought I would try the emergency start procedure on page 185 in case I had problems with the smart key on the road. Removed the rear panel to open the left trunk with spare key, opened the right trunk, followed the instructions to hold the start button more than 4 seconds, beep sounds, input the key code numbers by using the fairing pocket opener and start button, each time the beep sounds like it is inputing correctly and after entering the last of the 8 numbers and pushing start button nothing happens, steering is still locked and ignition remains off. I made sure to enter each number within a few seconds of each other. Read and followed the procedure on page 185 at least 8 times. Must be doing something wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or can someone please school me on what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.
FYI my smart key works well, just wanted to know what to do in case of emergency. Happy to figure this out in my garage instead of the side of the road.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Preparing for a 2 week ride on my 2018 non tour DCT so I thought I would try the emergency start procedure on page 185 in case I had problems with the smart key on the road. Removed the rear panel to open the left trunk with spare key, opened the right trunk, followed the instructions to hold the start button more than 4 seconds, beep sounds, input the key code numbers by using the fairing pocket opener and start button, each time the beep sounds like it is inputing correctly and after entering the last of the 8 numbers and pushing start button nothing happens, steering is still locked and ignition remains off. I made sure to enter each number within a few seconds of each other. Read and followed the procedure on page 185 at least 8 times. Must be doing something wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or can someone please school me on what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.
FYI my smart key works well, just wanted to know what to do in case of emergency. Happy to figure this out in my garage instead of the side of the road.

There are 9 numbers in the code.:smile2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you INTHEWIND for the video, very well done and yes that is exactly the procedure I followed. I notice that my key code is only 8 numbers and there is a cut out on the tag for a key ring and maybe there is supposed to be a ninth number but it was cut off when they punched a hole in the tag? If so it is the first number that is missing, the last 8 are clearly on the tag

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Make sure the side stand is up.

prs

·
Registered
271 Posts
The metal tag only has the numbers for the key. You should have gotten a piece of paper with your key FOB with the 9 digits on it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is the tag you are looking for.

Thank you INTHEWIND for the video, very well done and yes that is exactly the procedure I followed. I notice that my key code is only 8 numbers and there is a cut out on the tag for a key ring and maybe there is supposed to be a ninth number but it was cut off when they punched a hole in the tag? If so it is the first number that is missing, the last 8 are clearly on the tag

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Dmatthys for the info, I did not receive this paper with the key fob number from my dealer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow as I want to buy a spare fob anyway.
I only have the metal tag and key ring with the spare key. The metal tag only has 8 numbers and this does not work to start the bike. I'm sure some others may find this info useful.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Thank you Dmatthys for the info, I did not receive this paper with the key fob number from my dealer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow as I want to buy a spare fob anyway.
I only have the metal tag and key ring with the spare key. The metal tag only has 8 numbers and this does not work to start the bike. I'm sure some others may find this info useful.
I received my bike without the emergency code tag too. It took an amazing 6 weeks to get it from Honda through the dealer. Why so long? Why couldn't they just look stuff up on a computer and tell you in 5 minutes? Honda said it was a process. Ah, I said, that explains everything. Go figure.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts

That happens a lot, check your paperwork from the dealer. It might be stapled to something.:smile2:
It should be tie wrapped to the FOB.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,296 Posts
Check your owners manual, because maybe your dealer wrote the FOB code in the memo section of the owners manual like my dealer did with my bike before I took delivery.

·
Registered
469 Posts
..... I want to buy a spare fob anyway......
The spare FOB will NOT have a key. You can order a Honda blank and have it cut.
The 2nd FOB WILL have its own 9 digit paper code.
After the 2nd FOB is programmed to the bike, either 9 digit code will start your bike.

Most here carry a spare battery CR2032, and just drop it into the front cubby.
Or you can stash it in the left saddlebag along with printed directions on how to actually use the 9 digit code procedure.
You can also input both of your 9 digit codes into your cell phone contact list, or on a slip of paper in your wallet.

Getting all this figured out before your trip was a smart move on your part.
Jefro.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The 1st thing I did at the dealer was take a photo of both the 9 digit serial number cards! It’s on my phone that goes on the bike . . . perfect!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts