GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about using active gps tracking on my bike so others can see my trips and have a personal record. Have checked out Vehiclepath.com and SageTracker.com, both look promising.

Would like feed back on what anyone else is using.

Thanks

GaryJ..NY...02 Wing
States Ridden MC in---All plus DC

·
Registered
206 Posts
APRS (Amateur Position Reporting System) - using ham radio.

Click this link to see where I'm at, most anytime. This time of year I use it in my pickup more than on my bike, but it works there too.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?n7kuw-2

It's a 2-way communication with my GPS, so I can see plots of other nearby stations as moving waypoints right on the display as I'm driving.

Now all I need to do is convince everyone on a Wing to (a) get a ham license, (b) mount a radio and antenna on their bike, (c) integrate it with a GPS that provides position information in standard NMEA format. By the way, you'll talk a whole lot farther with a ham radio than with the crappy, way overpriced CB radio.

Carl

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow, for about 1/3 of the cost of the commercial system I can put a ham radio gps tracking system in, and have no monthly cost to monitor it. Getting the license costs about $12 and takes maybe a week of studying to pass a simple multiple guess exam.

Carl

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you google APRS you will get something like 2 million hits. The first 4 or 5 will get you most everything you need to know.

What it takes is (1) a ham radio - peferably 2 meter, (2) a GPS that can feed you serial NMEA data, (3) a TNC (terminal node controller). That's about it. TNC's cost anywhere from about $35 to lots, but the low end will get you going. The easiest way is to get a Kenwood TM-D700A mobile, or their comporable handheld that has APRS capability built in, including TNC, but that is also a bit more costly, especially if you have a 2 meter rig laying around available.

Nationwide, 144.390 MHz is the APRS channel, and there are digipeters all over the country, so you can most likely be heard, and "seen" most anyplace.

You can email me if you want - my ham callsign (see link above, not including the -2) at comcast dot net.

Carl

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Already got the license (AA6MZ). Any recommendations for a GPS unit.

I'm pretty sure my Garmin E-Trex and Lowrance iWay won't do the trick.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've got a Star-Traxx. https://star-traxx.com/ Works off of satellites unlike other units that operate off of cell towers. No cell service, no tracky. Also can be set to automatically call for help if you crash out on some lonely mountain road.

The monthly fee covers 30 updates which isn't much for multi-day rides. Additional updates are 13 cents ea. This summer it was costing me about $70 a month but that was riding 12 hours or more a day. Realistically though you probably won't use it to track more than a few days a month unless your old lady is keeping tabs on you running around town. Ron says he makes no money on the service. Most everything goes for sat access. Just does it because he is a rider and offers the service for other riders. His main business is using these units for remote gas well data collection.

·
Registered
206 Posts
tjshelton said:
Already got the license (AA6MZ). Any recommendations for a GPS unit.

I'm pretty sure my Garmin E-Trex and Lowrance iWay won't do the trick.
According to the manual for the E-Trex, it has NMEA serial data output capability. You'll probably have to buy a cable for it, but it should work.

If you have it already setup for use on the bike, it should do the trick. If not, and you are considering some other GPS solution for bike use, I prefer the Garmin 276C. Regardless of what you get, just make sure it can output NMEA data somehow if you want to use it for APRS.

Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts