GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 bike can set for days and starts good, ride for 1-2 hours stop for gas clicks and can start with jump pack. However if you let it set longer 15-20 minutes it will start fine. So it seams like heat from engine setting after ride is causing failure. I do have a new OEM battery on way, question is if not battery possibly solenoid or does anyone have any other thoughts. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How old is the battery? Did you load test it? I replace mine every 5 years or so. (I also keep it on a battery tender when it’s in the garage)

Are the terminal connections tight ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How old is the battery? Did you load test it? I replace mine every 5 years or so. (I also keep it on a battery tender when it’s in the garage)

Are the terminal connections tight ?
Original battery is being replaced, connections were clean and tight but still polished up with s steel wool. I’ve never seen a battery not start soon after shutdown and then work 15 minutes later. This appears to be heat related so was asking thoughts if not battery starter or solenoid.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Original battery is being replaced, connections were clean and tight but still polished up with s steel wool. I’ve never seen a battery not start soon after shutdown and then work 15 minutes later. This appears to be heat related so was asking thoughts if not battery starter or solenoid.
Fuel pump, if electric. IDK how GL1800’s fuel pump made—mechanical or electric?

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
What about the cable on the starter,is it tight?

·
Registered
245 Posts
What's the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at idle and about 2k rpm? What's the voltage without the engine running? What's the voltage with the engine cranking?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at idle and about 2k rpm? What's the voltage without the engine running? What's the voltage with the engine cranking?
Voltages
12.74 Setting for 3 days
11.40 Key on
7. Starting
14.62 Idle
14.62 2000 rpms
So will see if new battery changes anything once it arrives. Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Voltages
12.74 Setting for 3 days
11.40 Key on
7. Starting
14.62 Idle
14.62 2000 rpms
So will see if new battery changes anything once it arrives. Thanks
7 volts while cranking isn't good. It sounds like the battery is weak. A load test would confirm. 14.62 volts indicates the charging system is working properly. A new battery will probably take care of it.

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
2008 bike can set for days and starts good, ride for 1-2 hours stop for gas clicks and can start with jump pack. However if you let it set longer 15-20 minutes it will start fine. So it seams like heat from engine setting after ride is causing failure. I do have a new OEM battery on way, question is if not battery possibly solenoid or does anyone have any other thoughts. Thank you.
Have your battery tested and make sure your cables and connects are clean and tight.

·
Registered
369 Posts
just for yuks, how old is your battery ?

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Battery is dead for sure with those volt tests. No need to load test it. Age really doesn't matter at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just replaced the battery for the second time in two weeks in our 2014 Buick Enclave. Monday, the two week old battery had nearly the same readings as posted in #8. So age really doesn't matter. I can't figure out how it recovered enough in 20 minutes, though. Maybe heat aggravating a bad cell?

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,074 Posts
New battery should fix it. It shows all the signs of cell failing. When the battery charges, the plates and connections heat and expand, causing a cell or cells to no longer make adequate contact. When it's hot, only part of the battery functions, basically loosing half of the battery at start up. When it cools everything shrinks into place and back to normal.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
After reading this post, I believe I will be going to get a load test on my battery BEFORE a problem does occur ..........
I ride with many Harley's (and the last thing, I ever want to happen, is a NON starting Honda in front of a group of Harleys) "If yea get my drift" :cry:

Ronnie

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Load test is good, but problem is a battery can load test great, work great, but 30 seconds later go dead. Fruitless to try to predict a battery life. The starter is a pretty good load test. Push the start button, the engine turns over at a good pace, the battery is load tested right there pretty much for the moment at least. Next start is always another story.
I have a good load tester, but don't bother using it as long as the starter turns normal because it won't do much good.
When it does do good though is when the starter motor acts weak. Load test quickly gives the results, which is the battery most likely, but good to know for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts