GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually pretty cool. BMW will be bringing out their ACC system, a radar based Active Cruise Control which is a distance-control system for riding in traffic.

I've driven a few Teslas and I think stuff like this is great for cars, but I admit it would be slick to have for touring bikes as well. Tech sure is changing rapidly lately!

·
Registered
20,839 Posts
Great stuff but Ford has had some recalls because of cruise control applying brakes when it shouldn’t

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
It's a neat feature with one major flaw. It assist in preventing you from smacking the guy in front, but provides no control over the guy tailgating behind. If he's distracted when the bike decides to slow, you might just wind up wearing his grill. I agree with a comment above as well, just one more way to make us less attentive to the world around us, and on a bike that's not a good thing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hear that popping noise?

That's the sound of all the luddites' heads exploding.

If you've ever driven a car with adaptive cruise control on a beautiful winding road with miles of double yellow solid line, clogged with logging trucks, once-a-year RV drivers and tourist traffic, you will truly appreciate the value of adaptive cruise control.

One can concentrate on steering the vehicle while allowing the ACC to maintain a consistent, safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

For me, ACC enhances the enjoyment of long distance road travel when enountering congested traffic that is frequently changing cruising speed.

Thankfully, if BMW actually introduces this technology to its range of motorcycles, it will be a moot point for the majority of forum members. . .

. . . I believe I've seen a Honda Gold Wing T-shirt somwhere that reads, "I'D RATHER EAT WORMS AND CHEW BROKEN GLASS THAN RIDE A BMW." Lol.

Tim

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would like to see an article on how it works with a little detail on the particulars. It sounds like a nice feature.
The one question I would like to get answered is how it reacts when someone cuts in right in front of you and the car you are following....causing an interference of the distance measuring between you and the car you were following.

I hate when folks do that to me. And I have learned to tell when they are going to do it(most of the time). So I back off and let them in so I won't run into them. The problem it causes for me is that I have to keep my attention on them, and it takes my focus away from watching anybody else. It's very distracting.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
I'd like to try it. Depending on traffic, I think there would be times I'd find it useful and times I'd find it intrusive. Then I'm wondering how expensive it would be to repair/replace radar-based subsystems.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
$28,000.00 for the bike, $26,000.00 for the ACC opiton.

·
Love The DCT
11,616 Posts
I would like to see an article on how it works with a little detail on the particulars. It sounds like a nice feature.
The one question I would like to get answered is how it reacts when someone cuts in right in front of you and the car you are following....causing an interference of the distance measuring between you and the car you were following.

I hate when folks do that to me. And I have learned to tell when they are going to do it(most of the time). So I back off and let them in so I won't run into them. The problem it causes for me is that I have to keep my attention on them, and it takes my focus away from watching anybody else. It's very distracting.
How it operates depends on the sophistication of the system. I had a Toyota XLE that had "Full Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control." The system had a maximum range of 328 ft and distance could be set to short, medium, and long. At 50 mph, short corresponded to 100 ft, medium corresponded to 130 ft, and long corresponded to 160 ft. With the system on, when someone cut in front of me when I was following a vehicle, sometimes it didn't detect the vehicle and self brake until it was fully in front of me. I had already started manually braking as soon as the passing vehicle started to cut in.

The operation guide in the owner's manual does list some cautions. The system may not correctly detect vehicles that cut in suddenly, vehicles traveling at a slow speed, vehicles that are not moving in the same lane, vehicles with small rear ends, (trailers with no load on board, etc.) when water or snow is thrown up by the surrounding vehicles, when your vehicle is pointing upwards, (caused by a heavy load in the luggage compartment, etc.) or when the vehicle in front of you has a very high ground clearance.

My experience is the system works great out on the interstates away from metropolitan areas were there is heavy traffic and on rural two lane roads. The system is part of Toyota's Safety Sense and comes standard on many models. Of course, that is reflected in the price of the vehicle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I also had adaptive cruise control on a Toyota. I really liked it and wish I had it on my current vehicle.

It did not make me more complacent it just eliminated the hassle of stopping and restarting the cruise control.

In my case I think it actually made things safer. I no longer felt like I had to pass every car ahead of me... just set the cruise for whatever distance I wanted to hang behind.

It would have been a nice feature to have on my Goldwing when I did my trip from Portland to Custer South Dakota a couple weeks ago. I was always playing with my cruise control.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
My wife's Jaguar has this and I can't stand it. Many times I will just turn off the cruise control because of it. I have noticed many times that the cars following me have run right up my a$$ because of this feature, if their vehicle is not equipped with this tech also.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
I wonder if this isn't a case of technological overreach. We have a solution that works--cruise control--and now it's being maybe over-refined just because it can be. This is all part of the self-driving car movement, when all cars will have to be able to adjust to one another, but I wonder if it's appropriate on a motorcycle. I feel the same about the fob vs. key. I'm not opposed to technology per se--I love my DTC--but I have mixed feelings when it's pursued for its own sake rather than for what seems to me to be a good reason. For me the question would be, How much does ACC improve my riding experience over CC vs. how much it costs both in actual dollars, in complexity, and in added convenience?

·
Registered
632 Posts
My wife's Jaguar has this and I can't stand it. Many times I will just turn off the cruise control because of it. I have noticed many times that the cars following me have run right up my a$$ because of this feature, if their vehicle is not equipped with this tech also.
I agree. I drive new Subarus for a dealer and many are equipped with this feature. Many times when the system slows you down by shifting to a lower gear without using brakes I see a vehicle following me try to crawl in my trunk. Also if a vehicle in front of you leaves your path of travel the system slows or stops you until they are completely gone, therefore causing someone behind you to get right on top of you. Another thing I don't like is if I see traffic slowing way ahead and I know I should be braking. the system won't apply the brakes until you're within the set parameter. I don't know sometimes its good to use, but I think it needs some improvement. Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts