GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost a year ago, I bought a NIB, Add-On hitch from a member here. I put it in the round-2-it bin for awhile, and finally installed it a few days ago. It was a PITA to install, though I was satisfied with the end product, but I shoulda test rode it. Yesterday, I decided to go for a ride, and was not 100 feet out of the driveway before I heard strange noises from the rear, and the bike rode like an old Harley hardtail. In other words, there was little, if any rear suspension.

Back in the garage, I determined the Add-On's right side, tubular drag bar that runs forward to the main frame, was the problem. The final drive was bottoming out on that bar, about 4" back from where it bolted to the frame. It appeared to be a fluke, and it appeared I could probably dimple the bar, about 1/4" deep and 3" long. This woulda required removal of about two third of the assembly, and even then I may have needed to repeat the job if not dimpled enough the first time. Since I only intend to use the hitch for a cooler/luggage rack, I decided on a shorter route. I cut the bar off, near the weld where it attaches to the rear piece, then unbolted the bar from the frame, and tossed it aside.

If I ever decide to tow a trailer, only then will I go to the trouble of modifying that bar for clearance. Ideally, the manufacturer woulda made that bar out of flat stock, about 1/4" x 1.25". Maybe I'll go that route, if I ever fool with it again.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Some hitches have bend in rite side frame piece already ck pics of bushtech n kury see what you find. Maybe if someone had off bike could use as pattern to bend ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts