GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new receiver hitich for my 2006 wing from add on and it is junk. the bolts are not right and the swing arm hits the hitch bar , had to beat the crap out of it to keep the swing are from hitting the hitch bar, what junk. the instruction are very bad. do not get this!!!! it was on sale of $124.00 on wing stuf..

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Wildman
Sounds like your problems are just starting with that hitch. When pulling a trailer you need the best hitch made. An my .02 is a bushtec thats what i use.

·
Registered
271 Posts
texaswildman said:
got a new receiver hitich for my 2006 wing from add on and it is junk. the bolts are not right and the swing arm hits the hitch bar , had to beat the crap out of it to keep the swing are from hitting the hitch bar, what junk. the instruction are very bad. do not get this!!!! it was on sale of $124.00 on wing stuf..
Did you try contacting Add On?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Contact Add On.
800-821-9861 http://www.addonaccessories.net/
There was an issue with some of the early 06's and the hitch needed a slight modification due to some welds on some bikes,but not all bikes.

While I have seen a problem now and then with Add On products,they have never failed to stand behind them.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Typical, bad mouth the company on the internet, beat the sh## out of the product, now call them for assistance. If you buy something and it looks like it does not work properly have the common sense to call the company and ask for help. But do not post a watch out guys until you have all the facts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I actually installed an Add-On hitch last week. Although some of the instructions can be sketchy, it's not a difficult install and everything went well.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
mudbug said:
Typical, bad mouth the company on the internet, beat the sh## out of the product, now call them for assistance. If you buy something and it looks like it does not work properly have the common sense to call the company and ask for help. But do not post a watch out guys until you have all the facts.
I think that perhaps a "Watch out" is justified with the understanding that the company will be contacted and updates will be posted. If there is a problem, at least the "Watch out" may stop someone else from buying a potentially defective item.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jsut a little piss off at them

it was #45-1806 and sold for $138.99 reg $189.99 had to put on and take off 4 times on the right side the tube is too fat and hits the swing arm, had to make the tube flat to clear? had to fight with this a lot to make it work. it good now but for that king of money you dont need to fight with it.. it was worth $90.00 if that. time will tell. some times you need to go with the best . but you dont all ways know.. this may help more people do this.. on this hitch..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
posted reviews with them

i posted reviews with them. after reading some with 5 stars thay wher not happy with it too. not just me...

·
Registered
80 Posts
add on trailer hitch

I bought this hitch an installed it on my 03. No problems at all! This hitch was one of the better designs that I looked at. Some thing could of possibly been wrong on the one you got, thus contact the company
I like all the ADD-OD products that I have bought.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Junk from Add-On!?!? Say it ain't so!!! :lol:

Add-On stuff is usually cheaper but that's because the stuff if imported and usually junk. It might be ok to skimp in the non-functional areas when the parts are just for looks but for functional things like a hitch I'd never skimp. I got the Bushtec V.2. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
637 Posts
William Anzik said:
Junk from Add-On!?!? Say it ain't so!!! :lol:

Add-On stuff is usually cheaper but that's because the stuff if imported and usually junk. It might be ok to skimp in the non-functional areas when the parts are just for looks but for functional things like a hitch I'd never skimp. I got the Bushtec V.2. Worth every penny.
I'm glad you're happy with your Bushtec as many people are. Unfortunately, it may not be the answer to all things. I got mine to carry a cooler/cargo rack. More sturdy and versatile than the Rivco and Pakit-Rak, IMO. Cheaper too. It's easier for me to justify $200 for my setup than to spend $400+ just to jump on the Bushtec bandwagon.

I'm happy with all my imported junk...

Didn't mean to hijack the post...

I

·
0 Posts
:?: :?: :?: :?:

Never have had a problem with any AddOn product.

And I guess if did have a problem, I would first contact the dealer (or mfgr) before I raised h*ll on the internet and trashed the product out of hand.

Wing Stuff are good folks. Did you contact them first? Doesn't sound like it.
:roll:

By the way, I doubt that AddOn is INCORTORATED, but they might be INCORPORATED. :p :lol

Ride safe. Happy New Year

·
Registered
271 Posts
Add-On Hitch

Hey wildman, last one I saw with this type problem, customer was trying to install hitch support bar on swing arm side to the left side of frame instead of in-between the saddle bag sub-frame and the bike frame...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
we installed TWO (2) of the Ad-On hitches & have NO PROBLEMO :wink:
at all, directions are not the greatest, :roll: but the hitches went on w/out any trouble :?:
hitches installed on an 01 & 04 Wing :?:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
chuckM said:
I'm glad you're happy with your Bushtec as many people are. Unfortunately, it may not be the answer to all things. I got mine to carry a cooler/cargo rack. More sturdy and versatile than the Rivco and Pakit-Rak, IMO. Cheaper too. It's easier for me to justify $200 for my setup than to spend $400+ just to jump on the Bushtec bandwagon.
I can't argue with that. If I wasn't pulling a camp trailer I'd have price shopped too.

chuckM said:
I'm happy with all my imported junk...
I'm not pro-union but I do like to keep my money in this country as much as possible and especially avoid certain sources - China being one. And this topic is an example of where USA products are superior. So that was another plus. (Another example is the Tulsa belly pan over the Add-On version.) Considering the latest news I heard on the radio regarding trade deficits I believe I am in the minority in this thinking too. :?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well said...but I just can't help but think that Honda was not born and raised here. :eek:

Texaswildman, I would get in touch with Add-On or Wingstuff and clarify that you have installed it right and in order to do so, you had to modify the one side. Give these guys a chance to help you and/or make it right. Mine seems to be a well-made product with poorly written instructions. I had to take a couple of deep breaths once or twice.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've got the bushtec v.2 on my 02. Didn't the v.2 correct the problem on the newer bikes needing the bracket on the right side to be bent differently, because of the exhaust? Did you get the wrong hitch for your year bike?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
06 and up is slightly different. Bushtec V2 fits them all. The others needed a mod the best I am aware.
Yes...but, did Add-On change theirs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts