GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Well, I just finished installing the ADD-ON vertical hitch. Although the hitch components are relatively simple and, in my opinion, fairly stout, the install did not go as I thought it should. As usual, installing something that's made for quite a few years of Honda Wings, it was not a perfect fit. If it were not for a port-a-power that I had, there would have been a lot of filing, re-drilling, altering etc for this hitch to fit. The instructions that came with the kit were just barely good enough to follow. The pictures were vague and some key steps left out.

Like stated, I think it's a good hitch, and, if a little more attention to detail on the construction and the instructions was done, it's a very good hitch for the price. And, although I haven't had to remove one yet, it appears that no part of it has to be removed for removing the rear tire. Most of you can figure out what needs altering when things don't fit. At this point, I'd do it again if I bought another Wing. Any questions, I'll be glad to help if someones in a decision process. Now, for the wiring.
Scott

·
Registered
584 Posts
Fireup,
Although it's a little to late, there are some excellent instructions on the Add On hitch done by some guy that makes the install easy. Did mine in about 45 minutes. Can't remember where I found them. Did you get the E/C Sub-harness and isolator with 5 to 4 converter? A well spent 85.00 bucks. Good luck with the wiring install.

·
Registered
137 Posts
hey guys i posted another link asking for hitch info, and your tales of install nightmares seems to be the common complaint, how much of it has to be taken back off for a rear tire change, and do you know what the max. tongue weight is on the add on hitch. i am really thinking of going with a add on or the kuryakyn for the money if the max tongue weights are all the same. thanks joe

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,
First of all, the hitch install wasn't all that bad. Like I stated in the first post, all bikes are just a bit different and maybe even each hitch, although made by the same company on the same assembly line, might have some slight differences. If I took just a tad bit more time, I could have done a little reaming of the holes here and there and it would have been fine.

As for the 5-4 with isolator, I'm not going that way. I've been doing this stuff for a few years now and have had no problems. I think I'm going to run a 5-4 system that's a factory GM setup my son got from a GM dealer, each line complete with its own fuse. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Don't be to alarmed by the posts on installing some of these hitches. Sometimes just a little persuasion/ingenuity etc will help things right along. As for the tire removal, It appears that my tire will come right off without touching any part of the hitch. We'll see when that time comes. I've only installed mine on my bike so, I can't speak for any other make of hitch. The "Add-on" is well made and was fairly straight forward in the installation, albeit the instructions were somewhat vague. There's a gent on another sight that explains step by step, the install of the Add-on hitch. Lots of pics and doesn't miss any steps like Add-ons did.

As for the tongue weight, I'm at work right now so, if it's on the instructions or paperwork that came with the hitch, I'll have to check it tomorrow when I get home. I myself don't plan on much tongue weight if I load the trailer right. Anything else I can help with, let me know.
Scott

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration. I just went out and installed my Add-On hitch. I had downloaded the alternate instructions and they helped a lot. I had no major problems, but I did have to "adjust" the center piece to get the holes to align.
The hitch is solid everywhere. I have a Kuryakyn on my 1500. This is every bit as strong.
I did not see any reference to toungue weight on my Add-On Instructions. I'm sure it will handle my little trailer.

Brennon

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration. I just went out and installed my Add-On hitch. I had downloaded the alternate instructions and they helped a lot. I had no major problems, but I did have to "adjust" the center piece to get the holes to align.
The hitch is solid everywhere. I have a Kuryakyn on my 1500. This is every bit as strong.
I did not see any reference to toungue weight on my Add-On Instructions. I'm sure it will handle my little trailer.

Brennon

Toungue weight is 30 pounds for this hitch have not put mine on yet what is the site address for the downloaded intructions

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hitch Doc hitch

I guess I did not do enough research before I bought a hitch. Bought mine from Hitch Doc. Had a terrible time installing one of the legs that go to the back of the bike--it would not fit where it was supposed to. Even drove down to the factory to verify I had the correct one for my '05. It was. Directions were to install it between a couple other pieces, but could not jam it in there, and if I did the back ends were too close together for the reciever. Finally got a longer bolt, and installed it on the inside of the frame. The everything fit.
I installed it because I wanted to use a fuel cell on a cooler rack. Found the reciever was 1 1/8 in, which caused a major modification for the rack. But after I got everything together it worked OK.
However, last June when I went on a rally, I found the rack was tilted down, and loose. I rode the rally anyway, just did not refill the cell after it was empty. When I got home, I found that the back ends of both tubes, to which the reciever are mounted, had cracked off. Fortunately, the factory replaced them at no cost.
The hitch says it can take a tounge weight of 40 lbs. A 4 gal. cell should not weigh that much, so I think it was faulty construction. When the weather gets better I will re-install everything. Hopefully, I won't have any problems with it.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
My Add On hitch went on without a hitch (pun intended)..
I had mine on in less than 45 minutes..I've helped a couple other guys install theres too...

To change my rear tire I just remove the four center bolts and it goes back on without any issue...I change tires more frequently than most..lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
i installed my add-on hitch saturday and the "H" bracket was obviously about 1/4" too wide. i got it on (finally) but spreading (forcing) the saddlebags wider made it hard to get the license panel back on. called add-on and they gave me the measurements of the "H" bracket and it's exactly the same. makes me wonder if the bikes vary a little bit. one would think the license panels would all be the same, though, since they are certainly all formed on the same mold. i'm going to call Dauntless motors (who designed the add-on hitch) and see what they say :shrug:. several others here have said they've had the same problems on other threads, also. i can live with it (but i don't want to !)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I guess I did not do enough research before I bought a hitch. Bought mine from Hitch Doc. Had a terrible time installing one of the legs that go to the back of the bike--it would not fit where it was supposed to. Even drove down to the factory to verify I had the correct one for my '05. It was. Directions were to install it between a couple other pieces, but could not jam it in there, and if I did the back ends were too close together for the reciever. Finally got a longer bolt, and installed it on the inside of the frame. The everything fit.
I installed it because I wanted to use a fuel cell on a cooler rack. Found the reciever was 1 1/8 in, which caused a major modification for the rack. But after I got everything together it worked OK.
However, last June when I went on a rally, I found the rack was tilted down, and loose. I rode the rally anyway, just did not refill the cell after it was empty. When I got home, I found that the back ends of both tubes, to which the reciever are mounted, had cracked off. Fortunately, the factory replaced them at no cost.
The hitch says it can take a tounge weight of 40 lbs. A 4 gal. cell should not weigh that much, so I think it was faulty construction. When the weather gets better I will re-install everything. Hopefully, I won't have any problems with it.
I have a Hitch Doc hitch also and am pleased with it. I watched the dealer install it and it went smooth as silk, or course he installs many of them. It is easy to get the vertical supports that go to the main frame upside down. I watched the tech do it. Of course he caught it right away and when turned the right way they slid right in place. Hitch Doc is one of the top three hitches on the market, with Bushtec and Rivco being the others. I think you will be happy with it once you have it in place and all is correct. It is a pain when you get a faulty product but it happens. I pull a camper with mine and am well pleased. Take care and good luck with it. Hope this has helped.

Fred

07 Blue wing

·
Registered
163 Posts
i installed my add-on hitch saturday and the "H" bracket was obviously about 1/4" too wide. i got it on (finally) but spreading (forcing) the saddlebags wider made it hard to get the license panel back on. called add-on and they gave me the measurements of the "H" bracket and it's exactly the same. makes me wonder if the bikes vary a little bit. one would think the license panels would all be the same, though, since they are certainly all formed on the same mold. i'm going to call Dauntless motors (who designed the add-on hitch) and see what they say :shrug:. several others here have said they've had the same problems on other threads, also. i can live with it (but i don't want to !)
Sounds like my install. I finally got my back license plate panel on, but I put the two bottom screws in first, than had to jimmy and pry ever so slightly with a screw driver to get the holes to line up on top, just under the trunk. Finally got it on. I dread the thought of taking it off to change a tire. Now that it is on, I'll lift (or lean) the bike to change my rear tire.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Harnesses

Hi, Im an idiot!

Can someone pleases explain EXACTLY what elctrical harneses I need to run lites on a trailer. As I understand there is an Isolator and a sub harness... :confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is the same hitch I put on my wing in 07. If I remember correctly it took about 1/2 hour and the instructions were not very clear. The wiring was a breeze since it's all plug n play.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After reading alot of info about diff kinds of hitch types, i deceided to order the add-on
price is low and easy install
and now for my big question, have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery
i need to know the bal size
whoooooooooooo stop, not 1.7/8, thats the one i know already
need to know the shank lenght, shank diameter
Living i europe they use different size ball, 50mm (almost 2")
so , i have to swap the ball but need to know the shank things for getting me a new bigger ball with the correct shank etc
:joke:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've got the Dauntless hitch and it went on quite easily. I also installed the EC isolation harness after the previous one failed (Big Bike I believe).

·
Registered
584 Posts
After reading alot of info about diff kinds of hitch types, i deceided to order the add-on
price is low and easy install
and now for my big question, have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery
i need to know the bal size
whoooooooooooo stop, not 1.7/8, thats the one i know already
need to know the shank lenght, shank diameter
Living i europe they use different size ball, 50mm (almost 2")
so , i have to swap the ball but need to know the shank things for getting me a new bigger ball with the correct shank etc
:joke:
I think any hitch ball rated at 2500 lbs or less would work. I beleive mine is 1 1/4" long and 1/2" in diameter. Just make sure on the lenght that the nut has full threads or just below.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just installed my add on hitch, I did have a problem installing the H bracket. The instructions weren't very clear about which way to bolt it on, one way the bracket hits the amplifier and the other way doesn't allow you to back the bolt out to install the hitch into the receiver. I am assuming the H bracket installs with the bolt toward the tire but how do you adjust the amp out of the way?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts