GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2016 Prem Audio and wondering if anyone has added Sirius/XM - I have it in the truck but sure would like it out on the road. Looking for the best "low profile" way to go as I don't particularly like a lot of stuff mounted on the handlebars and such. I know, I know....your like wtf.....I would call Sirius and ask what they recommend but better to ask here as I'm sure someone has done it. Please post some pictures if you can.

TIA and keep it on two wheels.

Joe

·
Registered
802 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong and if you are sure, but ibcop may actually have a level one model without GPS navigation. Is XM available on non-navigation models? I have a 2010 level 1 "audio comfort" with no GPS display. It has no XM radio option. I've added a Sirius/XM Stratus7, RAM mounted to the left side clutch clamp and a short coax cable antenna mounted on top of the CB controls with industrial velcro.

Attachments

Reactions: ibcop and cycledude

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Although I have the Sirius option on my 2013 Level IV, like SpeedBump did, I added a Stratus 7 setup to both my Harley and the Goldwing. This way I pay for one subscription and have Sirius on both bikes.

Photo of Goldwing Radio Installation. I put the antennae on top of the rear speaker in the space, that's in the middle of the Passengers Arm Rest. Nicely hidden and works perfectly.

Attachments

Reactions: ibcop

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
if you can... CarPlay with my iPhone 8+, Iheart radio: all kinds of free radio AM & FM static free...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I've had XM mounted on the handle bars since 04. The quality of the radios have declined in the last few years. The last two I had only lasted a year due to the solder joint on the antennae connection breaking. I carry the radio between the bike, house and RV which probably causes it to break sooner. I've started to use the free radios from XM as they are happy to give me one to keep me from cancelling. They don't have a color screen which seems to be the only difference. I pay $89 a year. Just tell them you can't afford the almost $200 they charge and they will lower the price until you agree. This is the antennae I use. I've found it to be much better than the puck style.

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/siriusxm-satellite-radio-motorcycle-antenna/

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have the level 1 and no XM option. I will say the music sounds much better on this 2016 versus my 2008.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct me if I am wrong and if you are sure, but ibcop may actually have a level one model without GPS navigation. Is XM available on non-navigation models? I have a 2010 level 1 "audio comfort" with no GPS display. It has no XM radio option. I've added a Sirius/XM Stratus7, RAM mounted to the left side clutch clamp and a short coax cable antenna mounted on top of the CB controls with industrial velcro.
Do you have to set the GW radio to a specific FM channel to get the signal?

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
You set it to any channel that does not have a station on it. I've had mine on 89.5 and rarely have to change.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a XM radio that goes from my house to truck to bike like Bluehighway and Speedbump have.

Get yourself a FM Direct adaptor. This will allow you to set your bike radio to a Freq. and the XM to the same Freq. Then when you go from town to town, you are not searching for a non used Freq. Over the air radio will override the XM signal and you have to stop all the time and search for an unused Freq. I have this on my 1500 and also my truck. I used to live in So Cal where open Freq. were hard to come by. I never had to change channels to find a open one with the adaptor.

http://store.xmfanstore.com/sirius-fm-direct-adapter-fmda25.html

Here is mine. I picked up an additional bracket that attaches to the radio mount for the antenna to mount to. Keeps everything compact and less wires to run. There are a extra wires to run for the FM Direct adaptor, but if you travel, well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts

I use the auxiliary input cable. It is located under the left fairing pocket. If there is no aux cable present, there is a place to plug in one that you will need to purchase. I had some engine whine noise at first, but an inline noise filter, available from Wingstuff and other sources, took care of the problem. When I want to listen to satellite, I just select the "AUX" button on the radio control panel.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
hello all,

i have a 2016 prem audio and wondering if anyone has added sirius/xm - i have it in the truck but sure would like it out on the road. Looking for the best "low profile" way to go as i don't particularly like a lot of stuff mounted on the handlebars and such. I know, i know....your like wtf.....i would call sirius and ask what they recommend but better to ask here as i'm sure someone has done it. Please post some pictures if you can.

Tia and keep it on two wheels.

Joe
cant you ger a gps unit and ru n it though that to the bike?
Or you get all access with xm and use your phone via a jm bluetooth module.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes, your bike should already have XM built in. Look at your radio buttons. One will say XM.
Like you, I thought all 12 and up models had XM. Guess we were mistaken.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts