GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a new thread rather than jump on the one below. The question is ? Vent or no vent. Soooooo I guess I'm asking guys that had a standard shield and went to a vent. Is it worth it ? I have Jons dash mount for my 2610, will a vent hamper anything ? Or will a vent mess up the 2610 when it rains ? Right now I'm leaning on the +4 OEM from Tulsa.
If anyojne has a decent shot of it installed I'd appreciate it......... :)

S

·
0 Posts
Mike I have has both with and without . Personally I liked the shield without the vent . With the vented style I hardly noticed a difference with it opened . Also with the vent style it is harder to clean the entire shield, bugs get stuck in it, and when it rains it leaks a bit .
I have since gone to the extra tall Tulsa and cannot get it without a vent, in smoke no less for my clear shield !Tulsa doesn't offer the "new larger style " vent in clear. :(
I have tried both clear and smoke and I like the clear better , during certain evening hrs I found that the tinted colour slightly impaired my vision .

Good luck in whatever you find is right for you . :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've just got the stock 06 shield , but I like the vent, air feels good with mesh on. close the vent in rain no air no water that I've noticed . It does make cleaning more of a job . O and if you hit a big juicy bug just right guess where the worst part winds up :shock:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I put on the Tulsa OEM adjustable and had a vent installed. I really like it! Before I ordered it I asked for input and the majority were pro vent. It'll help a lot in the summer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
while replacing some fairing parts after a deer hit, a freind of mine gave me a vented windshield. my bike is a '03 and didn't have one. so I took it and installed. it is OK, I do feel a lot more air hitting my chest when it is open. it does help cool you some what. I do HATE how hard it is to clean the sheild with this vent in the way. would I pay more to get a vent in my next sheild???????? no. I was hoping it would make a real difference in wind buffeting on the driver by getting rid of the negitive air pressue behind the sheild. I don't think it has done much to help there. with a GPS sitting in front of the vent, like you say you have, I don't think you will see much improvement.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have two shields. On (stock with a vent) and a tinted Tulsa (with a vent). The vent makes a big difference on the amount of air you get. So, in the summer I like all the air I can get, and in cooler weather I want to block all the air I can. For me I wouldn't buy one without a vent. That's just my take on it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I added one to my 03 and like it. I do get a lot more air but not sure exactly how much cooler I feel but still think it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The vent works great, I wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I have Jon's Dashmount for my 2730 and a vented Tulsa X-Tall.

Installed Jon's adapter plate to lower the GPS a little, now the vent air blows above the GPS, so no problems there.

Not sure what the Vent placement would be like with a Tulsa OEM as it would move up and down when adjusting the height of the windshield.

Yes it is a PITA to clean the windshield behind the vent area, but I like letting some air into the cockpit area n those hotter days.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My 02 wing did not have the vented windsheild.. so I bought a sheild with one... I will NEVER have a bike without a vent on the windshield.. it provides much needed air in the summer....

cosmic

·
Registered
84 Posts
I vote FOR. I put a Honda vent in my stock windshield after a couple seasons.

It made a BIG difference in air to the chest area with the vent wide open on hot summer days

I keep it part open on cold days too because it lifts the air pocket and cuts buffeting a bit. The air is directed up and goes overhead in this position.

The vent made much more difference to me than the Baker mirror wings. I expected those to bring a lot of air in, in summer. I put them on for that reason, and while I don't think they direct as much as expected in summer, I do find they are quite good in the closed position in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have a vented w/s, but for airflow I find that the Baker "type" handshields (under the mirrors) provide more air. The w/s vent also serves as a w/s defroster when closed; not great, but better than nothing.

I do think the w/s manufacturers should install their vents just a bit higher to facilitate cleaning the w/s below the vent. As it is, I have to remove the vent to clean the lower portion of the w/s. :wink:

Bottom line though is that on buying a replacement w/s I would get a vent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts