·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is... short and sweet:
  • Installed a Rivco hitch
  • Bought a 56L Givi top case
  • Bought the Givi universal topcase mounting plate
  • Modified the plate so a 3/4" bolt could be used to secure the plate to the hitch
  • Used an aluminum frying pan (LOL) to add rigidity and reduce side to side rotation
  • Notched the fry pan, drilled a 3/4" hole in it and mounted the plate to it and the hitch
  • Put it all together on the bike and test drove
  • Works like a charm

The case mounts securely and locks closed and locks on the bike. It is easily removable and even has a handy-dandy handle.

The exhaust doesn't affect the case at all, which was a concern. The only issue now is that my license plate is not visible from behind when the case is installed, but that seems like a relatively simple problem to solve another day.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan to relocate the plate... though the solution hasn’t firmed up for me just yet.

·
Registered
796 Posts
How creative! Extra storage and a camp kitchen too!

Reactions: ShanghaiDan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Very cool idea. How much does it weight assembled & empty?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m guessing 15-17lbs

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have exhaust turn downs....

Last weekend, I put on some exhaust turn downs.... A trip to the hardware store, a little cutting, a little painting with 4,000 degree paint (I already had some) and I don't have to worry about melting my box for my rack. I already had a rack and box for my 2010 and it works on the 2018 too, but sits just a little closer to the exhaust than the 2010 did. So, I had to do something where no aftermarket "maker" has done anything about...... I used 2 1" 45 degree bend copper pipe couplers and 2 3/4" ones. I cut off the excess, cut a slit in the bottom (1" one needed to get smaller and 3/4 needed expanded) and used a hose clamp to hold them on. Everything got painted before installation. The only thing I need to do is something about the plate. I don't need it on the 2010, tag is above the box. The 2018, the tag is only above the empty rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Love the installation. I was thinking of adding a hitch carrier from a vendor on ebay that will build one for you bike and hitch, and add a place for lights. I was thinking of doing that for short trips when I don't want to pull a trailer.
Great Job

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow, first the givi mod, then along comes an exhaust turn down mod. This thread is full of win. Most impressive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You could have a Denver omelette without even going to Colorado.

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,743 Posts
Did the turn downs help any with the exhaust drone?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Did the turn downs help any with the exhaust drone?

No change in sound, only a reduction in heat build up on the rack. I did something similar on my 2010, but those were chromed sink drains and took a great deal more effort in making it work, even though I only needed one per side. I have needed to re-make one on the 2010 for a few years because it took damage when my ZZ trailer committed suicide. The tongueless trailer box hit the left one and curled it up. I could only do so much to straighten it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts