GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting a lighter bike to add to the fleet. Trouble is, the Goldwing is so smooth and comfortable it dang near ruins a body from wanting any other steeds. After riding a few smaller bikes I decided a 2017 650 V Strom would be my choice. I wanted this particular model because the V Strom had been updated for that year and I wanted the latest version. This bike is comfortable, offers good wind management and is a lot of fun to ride. ABS and traction control is standard on the 2017 models. I spotted this bike on ADV Rider and the owner and I met in Beckley, W VA and completed the sale. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Attachments

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought the Wing would be sufficient, but I ventured off road with it one day and while nothing bad happened, I decided it was way to heavy to be doing that. Enter the V Strom.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Good pick!

I have 2011 V-Strom 650 to complement my Wing .

Hope you enjoy It.

Donnie
DonnieOnTheRoad

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do indeed Donnie. Thanks. Hope you are doing well, I miss your trip reports.

·
Registered
639 Posts
They are a great bike with tons of goodies that you can add. My suggestion to you is that if you are going to do much off road riding add a skid plate, the oil filter is out in the open. The bike is very capable on and off road. I added a Corbin heated seat on mine and it was a nice addition.

Happy trails!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Prior to owning a 2013 Wing, I was riding a 1999 Yamaha Venture second gen for about 7 years. Great bike for two-up but I wanted something lighter, more nimble.

So I bought a 2006 Vstrom 650. And that bike become my "gateway drug" to the Goldwing. Vstrom showed me a different riding position, improved lighter handling...and that lead me to try and, eventually, buy a Wing.

However, during first two years of owning the Wing I rode my Vstrom literally 3 times. And two of those times were to the shop for a regular maintenance. To me, those two bikes were too similar. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing...but any time I was going for a ride I would take my Wing and the Wee would stay in the shed. To me, the Wing would do everything Vstrom would do - but better. Being an "on-the-asphalt-only" rider, the off-road capabilities of Vstrom were not a factor.

So, after about 2.5 years of owning both I sold the Vstrom. It was an excellent bike but too similar to the Wing, in my opinion.

After about a year after selling it I got an itch for something different. So I ended up buying a Yamaha Raider. Waaaaay different than the Wing but it works for me. Again, I know that's just my opinion and what works for me....but now I have two completely different bikes that are arguably the best in their (very different) categories.

Have fun on your Vstrom, it is an amazingly fun and versatile bike!...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are a great bike with tons of goodies that you can add. My suggestion to you is that if you are going to do much off road riding add a skid plate, the oil filter is out in the open. The bike is very capable on and off road. I added a Corbin heated seat on mine and it was a nice addition.

Happy trails!
Yeah, I've been looking at those two items.:laugh:

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Prior to owning a 2013 Wing, I was riding a 1999 Yamaha Venture second gen for about 7 years. Great bike for two-up but I wanted something lighter, more nimble.

So I bought a 2006 Vstrom 650. And that bike become my "gateway drug" to the Goldwing. Vstrom showed me a different riding position, improved lighter handling...and that lead me to try and, eventually, buy a Wing.

However, during first two years of owning the Wing I rode my Vstrom literally 3 times. And two of those times were to the shop for a regular maintenance. To me, those two bikes were too similar. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing...but any time I was going for a ride I would take my Wing and the Wee would stay in the shed. To me, the Wing would do everything Vstrom would do - but better. Being an "on-the-asphalt-only" rider, the off-road capabilities of Vstrom were not a factor.

So, after about 2.5 years of owning both I sold the Vstrom. It was an excellent bike but too similar to the Wing, in my opinion.

After about a year after selling it I got an itch for something different. So I ended up buying a Yamaha Raider. Waaaaay different than the Wing but it works for me. Again, I know that's just my opinion and what works for me....but now I have two completely different bikes that are arguably the best in their (very different) categories.

Those are the similarities that drove me towards the V Strom. As I said in my first post the Goldwing is so smooth and comfortable it practically ruins your chances of riding anything else, at least for me. I have no intentions of getting rid of my Wing, I think they both have their place. I can't even fathom riding anything but a Goldwing on long trips.

Reactions: number18

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Those are the similarities that drove me towards the V Strom. As I said in my first post the Goldwing is so smooth and comfortable it practically ruins your chances of riding anything else, at least for me.
Completely agree with you. If you were looking for something similar to a Wing (riding, handling, smoothness,...) but lighter - you couldn't find a better bike for a better price.

I thought I would ride my Wee more....but I didn't. Even solo rides, I would take my Wing. They were "too similar" for me, hahaha. So , now I ended up with something completely different. Time will tell am I gonna like it as much. But it sure is different - one smooth as a butter, the other raw and untamed.

You'll have so much fun with the Wee. And huge aftermarket support...It's a Lego bike...kinda like the Jeep Wrangler of bikes.

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Completely agree with you. If you were looking for something similar to a Wing (riding, handling, smoothness,...) but lighter - you couldn't find a better bike for a better price.

I thought I would ride my Wee more....but I didn't. Even solo rides, I would take my Wing. They were "too similar" for me, hahaha. So , now I ended up with something completely different. Time will tell am I gonna like it as much. But it sure is different - one smooth as a butter, the other raw and untamed.

You'll have so much fun with the Wee. And huge aftermarket support...It's a Lego bike...kinda like the Jeep Wrangler of bikes.

Reminds me of a Honda ACE Tourer that I had, loved the bike, looks, etc. But the vibration in the footpegs drove me insane. My feet would still be tingling 30 minutes after I dismounted the bike. Didn't have it for long.:frown2:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike !

I went a similar route, but got a 650 Kawasaki Versys. Took it out to the Dragon a couple of times and these smaller bikes are a blast on the close, twisty roads.

:thumbup:.

·
Registered
417 Posts

I had to read this post a couple of times, trying to see the correlation between a 650 Adventure bike and one of the best Touring bikes in production. both are wonderful motorcycles however imop that is where the similarity ends.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
The V Strom is a great little bike. You need to find a fire road and put it to the test

·
Registered
417 Posts
Again, I think you made a great choice, like a few others on the forum I have been looking to find a something a little lighter more easily handled, & although there are many on the market finding the right fit is not always easy, I recently released a 650 KLR, a really fun motorcycle & I put more than a few miles on it, lacking in technology & a little less adequate at highway speed I let it go. and the search continues, The V-Strom and the Versys are high on my list, I always enjoy ride reports & am looking forward to yours.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts