GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to adding the BMW type Powerlet connectors to my Wing.
The easiest solution is to add the SAE flat connector from a battery tender device directly to the battery, then hang it near the left side battery opening in the side panel.
But since all my accessories (Gerbing heated gloves, Slime air compressor, battery tender, and cigarette lighter adapter socket) already have Powerlet connectors on them, rather than rewire them, I just added a powerlet connector to each side of the bike.

The logical spot to put the powerlets was on the black plastic side covers, but that requires disconnecting the wires every time the side covers are removed. So I decided to attach them to the frame with JB Weld Quik epoxy.
But I had to fabricate brackets using a flat piece of stainless steel. And they had to sit very tight to the frame to clear the side covers.

I bought two Powerlet kits, PKT-046-12 and the longer PKT-046-24.
After making the brackets using step drills, grinders and carbide bits, I glued them to the frame sides. Then it was a simple matter of assembling the connectors and running the wires to the battery.
Now I have easy access to the powerlets, but they are out of the way when not being used.
Pics below.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Very nice job! I was thinking the same exact thing and ordered a Powerlet outlet a couple days ago. I have the dual usb socket for powerlet, heated gear plug for powerlet, and battery charger plug for powerlet so like you that was my best option.

I decided to mount mine in the top of tje passenger saddlebag where the black dummy plate is. I am not adding passenger audion controls.

I did plan on adding a PC-8 but that socket and the USB I already have wired to the accessory post near the battery will donwhat I need. I may add the Show Chrome isolater which also provides options for accessory wiring as well as isolated circuits for additional lighting.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The only drawback to fixed outlets is when you forget to unplug when you get off. Damage to the panel and cord may occur. A pigtail lead like the one Honda used on the old intercom allow a cord with a straight plug to disconnect without damage.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like the idea of the 12v outlet if not for heated gear but for my trusty air pump. I really do NOT want to tear the fairing apart just to install the OEM 12v plug. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
.... I really do NOT want to tear the fairing apart just to install the OEM 12v plug....
The fairing mounted 12 volt outlet is 10 amps, and will likely NOT support heated gear or an air compressor.
This is why I went direct to the battery.

My Slime #40001 (older model) air compressor draws 8 amps, but the newer model #40060 draws 15 amps.
Jefro.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Reactions: Jefro1

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update:
I received a question about how the JB Weld was holding up....

The Powerlets are working great and are out of the way. Very happy with them.

However, the JB Weld did not hold to the aluminum frame, and fell off after a few weeks.
I left the Weld on the bracket since it was holding to the stainless great, but just roughed up the smooth bottom surface of the Weld with sandpaper, and just added a generous amount of Super Glue Gel to the bracket and frame.
It seems to be holding very tightly, and should be good for the long haul.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I like the idea of the 12v outlet if not for heated gear but for my trusty air pump. I really do NOT want to tear the fairing apart just to install the OEM 12v plug. Thanks for the tip.

Most of us pass the 12 v plug through the opening of the side panel and put it out further if needed, otherwise it tucks in there nearly flush.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Almost everything I have electrical, I use with a Powerlet plug. Could you use something like a "molly bolt" through that hole next to the bracket, to hold on the powerlet plug? Because it would be under the Powerlet bracket, it would hide the molly bolt ugliness.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most of us pass the 12 v plug through the opening of the side panel and put it out further if needed, otherwise it tucks in there nearly flush.
Thank you for the tip. I have since connected a Battery Tender Ring Terminal Adapter http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/Ring-Terminal-Harness.html
that is always connected to my bike for easy battery charging and bought one of these Battery Tender 12v adapters to connect to it. This way it's a clean connection and connects directly to my battery
http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/Female-Cigarette-Adaptor.html

I also bought one of these USB adapters so I can charge my headset while at lunch, etc.
http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/USB-Charger-QDC.html

But thanks again for your tip. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I mounted my power jacks for heated gear here

Attachments

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour
1 - 14 of 14 Posts