GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey men,
I read back in the summer (can't remember where?), that if one would leave the GL1800 set in reverse, then it can't be moved (back tire locked). Does anyone practice this? Are there any problems?

If this works, then along with locking the handle bars, the bike should be very secure!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have used this method many times without any problems. You have to lift the bike to move it. Don't come off the center stand without taking it out of reverse.

Good Luck

·
Registered
533 Posts
Reverse for standing still

I believe that someone wrote a letter to the MCN editor suggesting this idea. It sure would work, and I know that lots of folks used the mechanical version of reverse on the 1500s to hold it in place when parked.

Seems like the security angle is a better idea than using it as a parking brake on a grade. Then you are basically holding the bike in place with the stress on the starter motor. In the 1500 case, problems arose downstream with the mechanical reverse not engaging or releasing. I am sure this was because of the parking brake function.

Is there really a security problem for GL1800s? I have seen lots of Wings with alarms, locked wheels and other anti-theft gadgets, but have never heard of one being stolen. I guess I should start using the front wheel lock. I never have in the past.

I haven't used the reverse for going in reverse in the 1800 either, as I have only had it a little over a year. I used reverse three times in the 8 years I was on the 1500. In each of these times, I had not used good sense in choosing a place to park. :oops: So the anti-theft angle is starting to sound better to me., and it will give me a use for the Rev. system :idea:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I don't have any plans to do this. If the key is out and the forks are locked...and someone wants it that badly... then that is why I have insurance on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reverse for parking...

Seems like I read a thread on this a few months back, and the only negative I can remember was that one person's reverse switch stuck, and he couldn't get it out of reverse, and had to have his bike towed. I suppose that could happen any time, but he seemed to feel that it was because it was left in reverse for quite some time.

:yw1:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
for more hearsay: Read posts on the gwrra board a copule of months ago of the 1800 getting stuck in reverse. This seemed to be caused by too much incline, which translated to over stressing the reverse gear/starter so it hung up....did require a tow to the dealer. I do not do this and don't really see the need for it as a theft prevention.....is why insurance is paid for.

:yw1:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Many people say not to use reverse as a parking brake because it will strech the cables. I figure just using the reverse gear will stretch the cables and if that happens then I will adjust them. I also apply the same logic to the throttle cable. By the way. I use reverse for a parking brake all the time. Its been almost 2 years and over 36,000 miles with no ill affect.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I use reverse for several reason. The one you asked about.
Another reason - when I'm stopped and want to light a cigarette and need to get my lighter out, I put it in reverse and light up. Bike won't move in reverse unless you touch the starter sw. This works good at a long traffic light too where you're on a steep uphill and are tired of holding bike.

Another time I use reverse is when my wife mounts up in our driveway which is downhill kinda steep. In reverse, bike won't move. She gets on before I do and I don't want the bike to move during that process.

Only problem I've ever had was last year at a rest area, I parked in reverse on downhill slope. I never ever use the kill switch.
A car with 6 elderly folks pulled in next to us. The 3 ladies went into the building. The 3 gentlemen stopped to admire the bike and reminise about their old times back in '48 when they rode.

I went into the building and while I was there, the 3 gentlemen couldn't resist. I guess the touched every button and switch on the bike.

In any event, they hit the kill switch and I didn't notice for about 10 minutes. I thought I'd have to call for help. Wouldn't come out of reverse til I finally noticed the kill switch.

Duhhh - whata dummy me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I say use it

I don't use reverse to hold the bike on an incline, no more than I'd like to use my cars transmission.

I do use it, however, for security. Not that I feel the bike is a target, but it takes very little effort to put it up on the center stand, hit the reverse and lock the handlebars. I feel an added sense of security knowing that if someone really wanted to mess with it, this might prevent it, much like a little blinking LED on my dashboard!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here's what Stu Oltman said about using reverse as a parking brake:

Reverse as a parking brake
Leaving a Wing in reverse w/key off won't drain the battery. But unlike the GL1500, you won't be able to get the 1800 OUT of reverse if the battery croaks. Some folks are in the habit of using reverse as a parking gear. That's a bad idea, because all that does is connect the final drive to the starter motor through a series of idler gears and jackshafts. Best to use first gear for parking on hills.

Stu O

·
Registered
231 Posts
This reverse idea sounds like it MAY have a place from a security standpoint, depending on conditions.(level surface, etc.)
In addition to an alarm, I have a "hidden" switch that disables the ignition.
Got this idea from one of the larger aircraft that I fly that does not need a key to start.
Now if I could just remember where I hid that switch.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there really a security problem for GL1800s? I have seen lots of Wings with alarms, locked wheels and other anti-theft gadgets, but have never heard of one being stolen. I guess I should start using the front wheel lock. I never have in the past.

:eek:w1: When I purchased mine I asked about a lock, cable or chain and was told by the dealer that he had never heard of a Goldwing being stolen in our area. He suggested that I might want to save my money and put it into Safety Chrome instead. :eek:w1:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Reverse for parking and/or security....

I have used the reverse a few times to prevent rolling when I wanted the engine running. I do not like being on the side stand without something preventing rolling. I have had and seen way too many “topples” from the bike rolling just enough. You can’t have it in first on the stand running, but reverse works great. I also sort of release gear tension when taking it out of reverse to prevent it getting “stuck”. I never had an interest in using it as a security measure; that is one of the reasons it has an alarm. The alarm also helps reduce worry when on the road with the rear seat piled full and I am in the back corner of a crowded store. Other alarm reasons being the ability to pop the trunk with the CD playing while I put things away, second remote at no additional charge, and never having things re-lock for no reason (although I have another method to fix this problem).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
and never having things re-lock for no reason
There's a very good reason for it to relock, objects in your pocket can bump the unlock button accidently, I've seen it happen several times.

If you are in a motel room and the bike is sitting outside the door, the unlock button gets bumped, if nobody gets into them within a couple of minutes they will relock, that protects you from having it completely unlocked all night. :shock:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There's a very good reason for it to relock, objects in your pocket can bump the unlock button accidently, I've seen it happen several times.

Not when the remote is on the key in the ignition. There is nothing to accidentally press the button when nothing is touching the button. If the remote were in my pocket, I would accept that as the reason. I have had the original remote unit in the bike with my alternate "fix" by making it think it is always locked and never had it re-lock again. Also, if the button is pressed to lock and something is open, the lights flash 10 times. Times it would re-lock; it would NEVER flash the lights... not once, not twice, not even ten times. I have had too many times when it would re-lock shortly after opening the trunk and then not be able to get in a bag because it re-locked. An accidental remote press will always flash the lights either once (successful lock) or ten times (something is open).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Some folks are in the habit of using reverse as a parking gear. That's a bad idea, because all that does is connect the final drive to the starter motor through a series of idler gears and jackshafts. Best to use first gear for parking on hills.

Stu O
Why is that a bad idea? How is the final drive supposed to be connected? If a person uses first gear to secure the bike then anyone can place it in neutral and roll it away. Kinda defeats the security side of parking in reverse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts