GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a 12V plug to the trunk for changing anything that might need charging while riding.
Is there a spot to enter the trunk that does not require drilling?

I am thinking about using one of the plugs on either side of the CD area pictured below. What are they there for? Bad idea, good idea, opinions?

If I have to drill into the trunk I was going to drill in the red area circled below. Any big plus or minus for here or any other area to enter the trunk?

Thanks...

·
Registered
679 Posts
That rubber plug is a cover to access the linkage for your side bags. Wherever you put the accessory plug, you will need about 3" of clearance for the backside of the plug and the electrical connector. If you drill thru the trunk where you have the red circle, won't the backside of the plug bump into the lower part of the passenger backrest? There is a hot 12V connector already in place in the trunk, under the inner shell which can be used to power the accessory plug. I don't recall which one it is. The wiring diagram in the service manual would show it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Got mine from Hal. Plug and play, just one hole in the inner trunk lid.

·
Registered
683 Posts
:agree:Got mine from Hal and installed in the inner shell of the lid of the trunk. It is a plug and play item and I think hot at all times so you can plug in a cell phone or camera battery charger and be all set. Mine works great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
12V Trunk Power

I drilled a hole in the trunk thru the left side storage compartment and put in a marine 12V power plug. I ran the fused power directly from the battery. The plug from the inside of the trunk is located in the very lower right corner (while viewing) out of the way. I keep the cell phone and other accessories plugged in. Works great. :lol:

·
Vendor
22,100 Posts
There is a red two connector plug in the top of the trunk lid for the Honda vanity light that is always hot. That might be one place to get power if you don't want to mess with drilling holes, though you would have to route the wires down to where you wanted them from the top of the lid.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
:agree:Got mine from Hal and installed in the inner shell of the lid of the trunk. It is a plug and play item and I think hot at all times so you can plug in a cell phone or camera battery charger and be all set. Mine works great.
Any chance we could get a picture of what you mean of this location you have your plug?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use the generic ones from AutoZone, run the wires in w/antenna wires and leave the pigtail power plug loose in the trunk, wired right to battery ( I usually get the Y plugs that are used in cars to power 2 devices, then I can do 2 bikes by cutting off the male end and using the 2 females)

·
Registered
683 Posts
If someone would tell me how, I would post some pics.

·
Registered
487 Posts
SEAN is correct Plus 1 and use the Vanity Mirror wire.. A Vanity mirror is useless in the Trunk. If you need a mirror Pack along a small handheld mirror. I was gonna say ask someone to use their Compact, but you would end up with a hole in your face if you get the idea? (Gun)
David

A

·
0 Posts
I also installed in the inner trunk lid using the vanity mirror plug. Take the lid off removing all the screws around the parameter of the inner lid, drill the right size hole, plug into the existing plug, and there you go. Below is a picture of the location.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. I am going to use the vanity wires. Is that connector easily found at Radio Shack or AutoZone? If so what do they call it... or wise off with the head.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts