GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many other people have this problem but on two occasions I have found water in the CB area. And I am talking about enough water to where the CB is floating. I have did my best at sealing everything off. But the other day while riding in the rain I noticed that I still have some water coming in from somewhere so I have came up with a drain.

While in the Home Depot I located what I wanted to use for the drain. What I decided to use is Ice maker water line for your refirgerator. Quick connect that way if you need to remove the line one day you can. Less than $6 you can purchase this.

1/4 inch connections

And the line

First of all you need to remove the center section where the rear tire is and the CB and CD player if you have one. Then decide where you want to locate the hole for the drain. I have decided that the best place is in the right corner due to the electrical connections in the left.

Once you locate the hole you will need a 7/16 drill bit to drill the hole for the male adapter. I happen to have this from a previous project that I will use.

Then drill the hole.

After you have the hole drilled you will need a 1/4 NPT pipe tap. To tap the hole so that the male adapter will thread into.

Now this is where it might be a little hard. Since pipe taps are tapered you will need to thread the adapter from the bottom of the trunk. So this means you will have to tap it from the bottom of the trunk. There is very little clearance to put a T handle on the tap. This is what I used. 1/2 rachet wrench on the end of the tap worked great.

Tap the hole. keep in mind that you want to thread the adapter all the way in so you will tap and check the adapter by threading it in.

Once you have tapped the hole you will notice that the adapter is sticking up past the bottom of the trunk by as much as 1/2 inch. Yeah I know got that problem worked out also. You will need to mark the adapter with a sharpie where the bottom of the trunk meets the adapter and thread it back out.

Put the adapter in the vise and get some string. Yes just regular nylon string is all you need.

String is used to cut the adapter flush with the bottom of the trunk.

Just pull it back and fourth in a sawing motion.

It will cut is off smooth. And is a lot easier than trying to hold some kind of saw.

Now thread the adapter back in the trunk using a little silicone on the threads.

Next you just run you tube and cut to length and strap the line. Your are done!

Total time 30 mins.
Total $$ spent $6

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Neat MOD BUT I would be trying to find out where the water is getting in from. Behind passenger backrest pops into my mind first. CB's do not like water.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neat MOD BUT I would be trying to find out where the water is getting in from. Behind passenger backrest pops into my mind first. CB's do not like water.

Believe me I have siliconed every thing in the trunk. I think it is coming from around the lid. But I have exhausted all possiblities.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Why couldn't you just drill a small hole in the corner? I don't think that area is subject to any spray from the wheel.

Jeff..

·
Registered
487 Posts
I do not have a leak!
A year ago after someone posted about water in the trunk I went out and drilled a quarter inch hole in the left side bottom of trunk so while on the side stand if water puddled or a drink was spilled it would hopefully drain. Yes, I checked first for things underneth the trunk but was very careful as to exit of the drill bit. Have had no problems as to date ( Fingers Crossed ) It kinda has a tendency to rain in this state:nojoke:
David
HondaMortch

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Check the grommet through which the cables pass from under the seat into the trunk. Found mine unseated, soon after my CB was dealer installed in the bike when it was new! That's the only place water should be able to enter, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I do not have a leak!
A year ago after someone posted about water in the trunk I went out and drilled a quarter inch hole in the left side bottom of trunk so while on the side stand if water puddled or a drink was spilled it would hopefully drain. Yes, I checked first for things underneth the trunk but was very careful as to exit of the drill bit. Have had no problems as to date ....
+1

I've never had water in my trunk, but I drilled a hole as you did, on the left side of my '02, a long, long time ago. Also, I carry liquids only in a saddlebag so nothing can be spilled in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Why couldn't you just drill a small hole in the corner? I don't think that area is subject to any spray from the wheel.

Jeff..
+1 that's what I did. Drill the hole on the low side.

You shouldn't be getting gallons of water in there anyway.

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
if its trunck lid gasket put a slit in it n feed some tubing thru it all the way around keeps pressure on seal

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if its trunck lid gasket put a slit in it n feed some tubing thru it all the way around keeps pressure on seal

Already did it. Still leaks.

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Already did it. Still leaks.
Nice fix, thanks for posting the pics.... It's always nice to see people who take the time to do the job then post the pictures...

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Open the trunk. Put some talc powder in a turkey baster or something and put a small , not too much line of powder on the lower smooth plastic sealing surface of the lower trunk. All the way around .

Now close the trunk lid. Did it seal all the way around??

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I took Fred H's advice years ago and put a drain tube, coming out of the left side (hey, stuff would run to the left when on the sidestand). Putting it in the right side doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have never had a leak and primarily did this just in case one of my Diet Snapples springs a leak.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Open the trunk. Put some talc powder in a turkey baster or something and put a small , not too much line of powder on the lower smooth plastic sealing surface of the lower trunk. All the way around .

Now close the trunk lid. Did it seal all the way around??

Yea it did.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took Fred H's advice years ago and put a drain tube, coming out of the left side (hey, stuff would run to the left when on the sidestand). Putting it in the right side doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have never had a leak and primarily did this just in case one of my Diet Snapples springs a leak.

I very rarely leave it on the side stand. I most always use the center stand when parked for longer than 10 mins. It comes in when I am riding, when parked and not in the garage it is under a cover.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That looks nice but over kill as I will just drill a small hole in left side for draining as pretty much everything under there is fine and it doesnt rain that much or I try to avoid riding in it . I rode 5 hours in it to get home and had no leaks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I understand your, had the same problem about a month ago. I did the same post and ended up drilling 4 small holes in each corner. I like how you did it.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Amen on finding and correcting the problem. The top case should not leak. Is the bike in warranty? If so, a dealer should fix it. The lids on GL1800 side and top cases are problematic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts