GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about adding a Garmin 2820 GPS to my 06 Wing.

Does anyone know if the audio works while the radio and CB are on or does it go through the auxilary input?

:cop2:
Ken

I

·
0 Posts
While you are still thinking, think about a Lowrance iWay500C. It is a whole lot more unit for less money.

Most GPS units that have audio voice navigation (and MP3 as does the Lowrance) output their audio through the AUX input on the 1800. Hence you cannot listen to the AM/FM radio, WX radio, or the Honda CD player while you are listening to the GPS units audio on AUX , unless you use some aftermarket device. I am talking the stock 1800 system here.

However, your CB will work fine, as it mutes and overrides any audio input when it hears a signal above squelch level, regardless of what audio devices are selected. Aftermarket audio devices excepted.

The above applies to my 02. I don't know if there have been changes to the audio system in subsequent model years.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Barry, it's not a matter of too many problems with the unit, it's a matter of product evolution.

If they felt the product was more trouble than it was worth, they would've ditched the model line altogether, not base a new version on the same foundation.

To answer Ken's original question, the audio connection method depends upon which features of the 2820 that you want to use. For example, if you just want to use the GPS with no music output, you could connect just the standard GPS voice output to the intercom system and the voice prompts would override whatever music source you have selected on the audio unit. If you want, you can also use the Kennedy CellSet model 2820 interface to povide the microphone connection to the GPS so that you can take advantage of the Bluetooth cellphone connection.

If you really want to utilize all of the features (including the XM radio & MP3 player functions) you'll need to connect the stereo output to the AUX input and the GPS voice to the intercom for the phone features. Anything that you have connected to the AUX input is only active when the AUX input is selected, so you wouldn't be able to listen to the AM/FM/WB sources. CB activity will mute the audio unit volume.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I recently installed a 2820 on my '05. I have it connected with the Kennedy CellSet harness, and utilize both the XM radio and Bluetooth features, as well as the GPS. I cannot listen to the onboard AM/FM when using the system. I listen to the XM radio, so it doesn't really matter. It's an expensive unit, but it provides 3 functions I really wanted, GPS, satellite radio and handsfree phone.

The only issue I have is with the wind/ambient noise through the intercom system, which must be on for me to use the phone. I can leave it off until I receive, or want to place, a phone call, and then the sound is excellent. If I'm riding with my wife, it's a little more of a problem to leave the intercom off, because she would have to signal me to turn it on if she wanted to talk. I'm considering Mic-Mutes that would let either of us turn the intercom on or off.

This is not a problem caused by the 2820, but it does slightly complicate it's full use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the information. I am ordering all the parts today.

I allready have Mic-Mutes with the passanger push to talk button installed on the bike and it works great.

:cop2:

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts