GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to add ABS to a Goldwing?

Curiosity more than anything else...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I believe this has been asked and answered several times, and the conclusion is: Sell the bike you've got and buy a new one with ABS. It will be far less expensive than adding ABS, if it's even possible do to so.

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
Might be cheaper to throw yours away and buy a new one with ABS. LOL...

If it can be done you would be looking at thousands of dollars. I'd almost bet the main wiring harness and dash would have to be changed out! That's a few grand right there!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would expect that they are using the same harness for at least 2 out of the 4 - cheaper to fabricate one harness with a few extra connectors than to make up 4 different harnesses for for a GL1800.

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
Jim Henthorn said:
I would expect that they are using the same harness for at least 2 out of the 4 - cheaper to fabricate one harness with a few extra connectors than to make up 4 different harnesses for for a GL1800.
Check about the 8th post down posted by a dealer. :roll: He mentions the different harnesses. Nobody knows why but American Honda. LOL...

http://www.ridersrally.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#96512

I

·
0 Posts
I know Honda. I am involved in supplying them machines and tooling to make parts for their cars.

Trust me. If they make a different wiring harness or any other component for a different model, they do it for a very good reason. They didn't get to where they are by being stupid.

As for adding ABS to your non-ABS bike....forget it.

Like Red says, trade it in on an ABS model if you want ABS that badly.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IBTrike said:
I know Honda. I am involved in supplying them machines and tooling to make parts for their cars.

Trust me. If they make a different wiring harness or any other component for a different model, they do it for a very good reason. They didn't get to where they are by being stupid.

As for adding ABS to your non-ABS bike....forget it.

Like Red says, trade it in on an ABS model if you want ABS that badly.

Ride safe.
Actually, I wasn't planning on adding ABS to my bike - was asking because I get interested in finding these things out. I have my answer now. Strange to think that its cheaper to have 4 different wiring harnesses than to make 2 or three.

Learn something new every day. Good goal. And I made my goal today...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Jim,

"We" look at the manhours to produce things - manufacturers look at the cost of the components to produce them.

Once tooling is setup, the cost of manufacturing different harnesses leaving out the non-needed parts more than covers the cost of "standardizing" a part when non components are included.

It comes down to the cents per widget. If you can save 1 or 2 cents per widget and produce 50,000 widgets that is $500.00 savings. And if you can continue to manufacture that same widget over years - think about the 2001 - 2005 GL that is a savings that can amass to thousands of dollars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts