GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here comes another basic question from a newbie--if you add brake or clutch fluid do you need to bleed the lines afterward, or is it as simple as it sounds--take off the cap, remove the discs underneath the caps, add fluid and put it all back the way it came apart?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Here comes another basic question from a newbie--if you add brake or clutch fluid do you need to bleed the lines afterward, or is it as simple as it sounds--take off the cap, remove the discs underneath the caps, add fluid and put it all back the way it came apart?
You'd only have to bleed if you ran the reservoir very low, and uncovered the hole leading to the hose. Note that, once you've broken the seal on a can of fluid, it's toast in very short order, like hours. Water absorption. So it's useless to save the left over fluid. If you're low on fluid because the pads have worn, be careful if you replace them - pushing the pistons back to put in new pads can overflow the reservoir. If that's not the reason, you'd best find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I don't add fluid unless I have drained some out. The fluid level will go down as the pads wear. New pads bring it back up. When the fluid level is low then it is time to get down on the ground and look at the pads.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Simple answer is yes it is just that simple.

·
Registered
282 Posts
And one item no one else has mentioned. Beware of brake fluid spilling on painted surfaces! Have heard it's not a pretty sight.

Regards,

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
Why do you think you need to add to the brakes and clutch?????
Good question. Don't forget that disc brakes adjust by pushing the pistons out as the pads wear so the fluid in the reseviors will naturally lower as this occures. Adding fluid as that happens is not needed. What might be needed is a brake inspection and a clutch and brake fluid flush. That is a required service every 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies! I was just anticipating the need if it ever arose. What you're saying/implying makes sense--if it's a closed system, other than pad wear, etc., there s/be no need to add fluid, I suspect. I went out this morning and checked and there is no need to add anything at this time. I appreciate your help!

By the way, I live in Colorado. Took a ride up to Cripple Creek today. Big rally up there, like a mini-Sturgis.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Greg, has the service interval changed for brake fluid and clutch fluid replacement been shortened? I think my manual specifies 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. Maybe I should go read that manual again :)

prs

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
Greg, has the service interval changed for brake fluid and clutch fluid replacement been shortened? I think my manual specifies 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. Maybe I should go read that manual again :)

prs
To my knowledge the intervolds have not changed, but I always recommend that you read your owners manual and maintain accordingly since they can very.

There are some influential writers on this board that probably do it every 2 years or 24k. But I am going to assume that they are not part of Honda's engineering team that over sees those recomendations thus there oppinions are just their personal ones. I would never follow them. The important part is to remember that Honda's recommend service intervolds are the minimum intervolds required.

If you have ADV failure under warrentee, and can't prove fluid changes as required, guess what ???? Honda know if it would have been maintained as required a warrentee claim would probably not even be filed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked in with my local dealer, Apex in Colo. Springs, and they said they go more on elapsed time than on miles. I.e., every 24 months. I bought my bike used less than a year and a half ago and shortly after that had all fluids changed out at the 24K mark. Because of all that, I'll probably have the fluids changed out again in spring of 2012--am just pushing 36K now. Thanks again.

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
By the way, I live in Colorado. Took a ride up to Cripple Creek today. Big rally up there, like a mini-Sturgis.
I am so envious ... there is nothing like riding the Rockies or the Pacific Coast Hwy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a difficult job, going to Cripple Creek, but someone had to do it... :joke:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts