GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:excited: I just pulled the trigger and finalized my order for an Aspen classic camper

I 'm thinking about trying to add a battery and power circuits for lighting and possibly an electric cooler to the camper. I'd like to be able to recharge the battery from either the wing or from "shore power" (120v)

Has any one tried this and if so how well did it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I added a battery box and wiring to a overhead light and power ports to my Roll A Home. Led lights are not a problem, but the cooler will drain a battery in just a few hours. A 2/6 Amp charger will keep it up but the Wing would have to run a long time to recharge it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I second Geogre Country Boy.... do some research before hooking thing up.
With the right wiring the Wing can power a cooler OK.... you just have to know when to have it plugged in and when not to. If you wanted to keep is real simple...
you would just have to be careful to watch when you had it connected.
I added a battery box and wiring to a overhead light and power ports to my Roll A Home. Led lights are not a problem, but the cooler will drain a battery in just a few hours. A 2/6 Amp charger will keep it up but the Wing would have to run a long time to recharge it.
Was it one of those peltier thermoelectric coolers George?
I would think you'd need several hundred watts to do much good with even a small cooler.
I can see where you get the battery drain time from that kind of wattage draw.
Just thinking out loud here....but...
If I were going to power a cooler like that or recharge a battery supplying trailer accessories......
from the bike's alternator circuit.....I would have a relay in line
that would only allow the auxiliary battery to be in the charge circuit when the bike was running.
You could use diode switching so the bike's system only saw (and charged) the aux. battery
when the alternator was running and the bike voltage was at the typical running voltage of over 14 volts.
That would allow a sealed gel cell battery to reach full charge even with a circuit having "in line" diodes,
instead of relay switching, with .6 volts or so being dropped by the diode bias.

An interesting project.
I have some peltier coolers and gel cells that I may look at incorporating into the power pack
for my trailer cooler, lighting, accessories and suspension compressor.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
D C George: I cant remember which cooler I have but I have a 20 Amp AC Supply with it for cooling down, and use when at a Motel and such. It takes close to 24 hours to cool it down for use so that means plug it in the day before, and empty too or it will take for ever to cool down. I don't use it too much any more because it only cools 20 down from ambient !!!?? I do know one thing it killed the battery in the van the first time I plugged it in over night to cool down though. Thats when I got the power supply. I use a regular cooler now, much easer, and keeps things cool way after ice is gone.

The power outlets for things like portable DVD, 12V light, and cell charger, works great, and seem to last for the weekend with a full charge, on the Lawn Tractor battery that I am using. To lessen the possibility of the battery going bat just setting I use the battery out of my active mower, and in off season AKA Winter it too is on a tender. So far so good with the battery.

When I get in to the office I have a couple of photos of some of the add-ons to the Roll A Home.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a koolatron 12v cooler that I use. It runs on 12v power from the bike while traveling. Then I have a 120v-12v inverter that i use once at the campground. This saves the bike's battery. I use a 6 pin pigtail plug in. The middle pin is wired directly to the bike battery (with a fuse in the mix) so when I plug in the camper to the bike for tail lights, i also get the 12v current. I got an exterior 12v plug in from wally world and mounted it to the trailer tongue to plug in the cooler.

I also posted this:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193630
on how I get 120v once at the campground. It saves having to run 10 drop cords.

I use the drop lights similar to George for light. I even use two...one on each overhead bar.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Looks like you're getting all sorts of info on both AC and DC power for the trailer Country Boy:thumbup:
D C George: I cant remember which cooler I have but I have a 20 Amp AC Supply with it for cooling down,......
When I get in to the office I have a couple of photos of some of the add-ons to the Roll A Home.
That sounds like the peltier coolers for sure George. The best one I've had my hands on would drop the cooler temp to 40F degrees below the ambient temp. And, Like yours.... it took so long to do it that the snow would come and you didn't need the cooler anymore! :shrug:
At 100 outside.....you could only cool things to 60.....hardly worth the effort.
That lighting and power outlet look like a nice light weight and easy to work on or replace in the field. Best attributes for camping trailers! I love those low current LED lights!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts