GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stored my GL1800 and attached a battery tender, but remembered that I didn't put any fuel stabilizer into the gas tank. I have a half a tank of gas left and was wondering if I should use any certain ratio or measurement of stabilizer. I didn't want to fire it up just to go and get fuel, but will if suggested here. Just need to to know how much stabilizer to add to a half tank of gas? Any recommended brands?

Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Startron according to directions on the bottle.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Sea Foam is what I use. I'd put 1/2 a bottle in and fill the tank to the bottom of the filler neck. That will help keep condensation out of the tank.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I would do the same, and I would crank that engine and let it run till the temp came up to normal range and shut 'er down.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
A little over an once for half tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Whether you use Stabil, StarTron, Sea Foam, or any other fuel stabilizer, I would urge you to read the directions on the product label and follow those directions.

personally I use Stabil and then take a ride to get the gas through the injectors or carbs on different bikes. Then I refill the tank and add an appropriate amount of Stabil.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
One ounce of Seafoam per gallon, so four ounces should do it.

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Add the product per manufacturer's instruction, ride bike to distribute, top off fuel supply. Put it away.

prs

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Stabil is just mineral spirits. Is mineral spirits a magic solution to keep gas fresh? I doubt. I used it in an old carb bike and the carbs clogged to crap in 4 months. I think 4 months I normally would have been OK even with plain gas, but with Stabil it was not a pretty picture. No need to add any of these additives even if they do actually work unless you are going to store for upwards of a year on a FI engine.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Any of the stabilizer products but follow the directions for "storage" as it is usually double the "maintenance" amount.

Also, top tank off, take short ride to get stabilzer into whole system, then park. Do not add any additional fuel or you dilute the required mixture.

Note: I disagree with the above poster who says these products don't work.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Stabil is just mineral spirits. Is mineral spirits a magic solution to keep gas fresh? I doubt. I used it in an old carb bike and the carbs clogged to crap in 4 months. I think 4 months I normally would have been OK even with plain gas, but with Stabil it was not a pretty picture. No need to add any of these additives even if they do actually work unless you are going to store for upwards of a year on a FI engine.
Must disagree! On carbed bikes, I always drained them before storage. Thinking you did not run the bike enough to get the mix into the carbs since they were not drained. Have used Stabil in all my gas powered equipment for eons and everything starts up fine in the spring!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Must disagree! On carbed bikes, I always drained them before storage. Thinking you did not run the bike enough to get the mix into the carbs since they were not drained. Have used Stabil in all my gas powered equipment for eons and everything starts up fine in the spring!
Yeah, I dunno.
I've used Sea Foam for more than 30 years. I cannot (scientifically) say that it does anything, but it appears that it isn't hurting anything, either. I suspect that Stabil works just as well.

We have a riding lawnmower that's run 16 seasons now. All of our other power equipment is at least 12 years old. None of them have had the carbs off. Regular fuel filter maintenance contributes to this.

I have been told NOT to keep fuel stabilizer from one season and use it the next season. Apparently, some of it has a shelf life and can be detrimental when it gets old.

·
Registered
325 Posts

I've always had good luck with Stabil also. I start treating each tank full of gas as we approach the winter season as I never know just when the snow will arrive.

I use it in all our garden power equipt. One year I neglected to use it in a gas Weed Wacker and never did get the thing to run properly again. It would start, run for a few seconds and quit. I dismantled the carb as much as I could, then soaked the carb body in carb cleaner to try to un-gum the fine drillings in the tiny carb - but no luck. It is now a spare parts machine!

Usually what I do with the small garden equipt is to both use Stabil and also run it dry. I'm hoping that after running dry, "IF" there is any gas residue left in the carb passages, it will be treated gad=s and hopefully will not gum up. Seems to work for me.

With the bike, I treat the gas and try to ensure the tank is full.

Brian.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I have been told NOT to keep fuel stabilizer from one season and use it the next season. Apparently, some of it has a shelf life and can be detrimental when it gets old.
The shelf life of all STA-BIL® brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to av ery dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BIL® brand, it just may not be as effective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The shelf life of all STA-BIL® brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to av ery dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BIL® brand, it just may not be as effective.
I used to buy the larger bottles of Sta-bil and use them for a couple of years, but lately have used the small 4 oz bottles. This amount works out perfectly for my two bikes - no waste and no decisions as to whether it is still good or not. If you can't find the Sta-bil small bottles, the Harley boys carry that size in their private label stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Save your money..I drove tanker trucks for many many years..The fuel is already stabilized before you buy it...It will be fine for up to a year in some cases longer..We used to drop into underground storage tanks..Let it set for months and months then go back at a later date pick up and then deliver to stations..

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Save your money..I drove tanker trucks for many many years..The fuel is already stabilized before you buy it...It will be fine for up to a year in some cases longer..We used to drop into underground storage tanks..Let it set for months and months then go back at a later date pick up and then deliver to stations..

+1, Todays fuels are much better than in the past, gas will be just fine for the 4 to 6 months you do not ride, I have a freind in ND and he never uses the stuff any more...jmho

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Sta-Bil does work. It will not un-funk already funky fuel, but it will keep fresh fuel from funk'n-up. I do not think SeaFoam is simply mineral spirits. Its odor is very much like methyl alcohol, but quite. THe GL18 has a plastic fuel tank and that helps us a lot. Less moisture and no rust. I use no additives in the GL, but do treat my metal tank bikes, did so just yesterday, even though I will ride them on occasion over the Winter. prs

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Sta-Bil does work. It will not un-funk already funky fuel, but it will keep fresh fuel from funk'n-up. I do not think SeaFoam is simply mineral spirits. Its odor is very much like methyl alcohol, but quite. THe GL18 has a plastic fuel tank and that helps us a lot. Less moisture and no rust. I use no additives in the GL, but do treat my metal tank bikes, did so just yesterday, even though I will ride them on occasion over the Winter. prs
Hahahahah... damm, that's alot of Fs, lol. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts