GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add heated grips to my ‘06 IIIA GL1800. I have Raynaud’s and my Gerbings don’t seem to always keep up. Short rides are manageable. But, on longer rides, there can be a significant loss in dexterity. Being a model IIIA, it didn’t come with heated grips. Reading previous posts, I was hoping that I could just add the OEM grips since they were designed for the bike and it would just be plug and play. That will work only if the IIIA wiring harness has the wiring and connectors for the grips and controller. Or is it different than all the other models that included the heated grips and seat from the factory?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I installed the show chrome heated grips about six or seven years ago on my 2008 Wing. They worked ok for a few years but have been hit or miss the past several years. thought it was a weak battery issue but problems continued even with brand new battery.

I’m checking To see if oxford heated grips will fit. Ive got a set of those on my VStrom and they’re great. Heat up fast and get very warm...

I don’t use the heaters often, but when you need them, you want them to work

·
Registered
509 Posts
You could try the Show chrome Heated Grips. Available from Amazon.
View attachment 365201
I just installed these on my Wing and have used them several times this winter down into the low 30s F. Very happy with them but they are a tad thicker than the stock grips.

Lewis and EC are great. Love their products but they have been out of heated grip kits for a while. Wanted this kit but you need to plan for late fall/winter sales.

I installed the show chrome heated grips about six or seven years ago on my 2008 Wing. They worked ok for a few years but have been hit or miss the past several years. thought it was a weak battery issue but problems continued even with brand new battery.

I’m checking To see if oxford heated grips will fit. Ive got a set of those on my VStrom and they’re great. Heat up fast and get very warm...

I don’t use the heaters often, but when you need them, you want them to work
Check your grounds and wiring. Even the longest Oxford grips are too short. Would have been first choice for me as I have Oxford heated grips on my FJR and love the controller.

The Show Chrome Inferno heated grips are the easiest to install and you can draw power from one of your power connectors under your left or right storage pockets.

Used them this morning and evening rides home.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I installed the Infernos, and they work great. I connected it to the accessory terminal on the fuse panel. That way, it comes on when the ignition is on and when the key Is turned to accessory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. It appears that all of the grips mentioned can get uncomfortably hot on their highest setting but are able to be dialed back to suit conditions. I’m leaning toward the Oxford grips mainly because of the the ease of installation and the controller. I like being able to go a click up or down in temp as needed. I would also like to be safe and power off the accessory side just as a protection for the battery. But, the controller makes that unnecessary. Thanks again for the help. You guys are awesome. 👍

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
That will work only if the IIIA wiring harness has the wiring and connectors for the grips and controller. Or is it different than all the other models that included the heated grips and seat from the factory?
From 2001-07 the connector for heated grips is there. I believe in 2008 Premium Sound and the Comfort package became the base model, and therefore going forward there was no need for the heated grip connector point. Unfortunately, with the inclusion of them all having a comfort package from 2008+, there was no need for Honda to continue making the Hondaline heated grip assessors package, and that accessory eventually became discontinued, and they've not been made for years. If somehow you're able to find a set, all accessory installation instructions can be found at JustWing.com.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The base level didn’t become the comfort package until 2009. My wing is a base level 2008 and it did not have heated grips or seat. My buddy’s 2009 had both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts