GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this was covered before. I did a search and found nothing.

I ride a '012 Goldwing and wondered if I should be adding a injector cleaner in the fuel once in awhile.

Cheers!

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Chevron Techron once a year would be a good idea. I wouldn't use any other brand fuel injection cleaner. Techron will also loosen carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Just don't use it more than once between oil changes, because it can thin the oil. I like to use on the last tank of gas just prior to a scheduled oil change.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I think any decent gasoline will have the detergent in the additive package. Premium fuel may have more (EXXON claims such now), but may need more due to more carbon with higher octane rating.

prs

·
Registered
337 Posts
Chevron Techron once a year would be a good idea. I wouldn't use any other brand fuel injection cleaner. Techron will also loosen carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Just don't use it more than once between oil changes, because it can thin the oil. I like to use on the last tank of gas just prior to a scheduled oil change.

+1. Most of the fuel injector cleaners are mostly alcohol based and ineffective. Techron is the good stuff.

Using a quality fuel can go a long way to keeping injectors, valves and combustion chambers as carbon free as possible.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Sorry if this was covered before. I did a search and found nothing.

I ride a '012 Goldwing and wondered if I should be adding a injector cleaner in the fuel once in awhile.

Cheers!
No ... unless it can be justified !!! Why do you think you need it ???

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I will never use it again. Had a 2008 Jeep and put Techron in once a year. It only had around 30,000 miles when a fuel injector went bad, then a couple thousand miles later another one, then a couple thousand later another one. I could be wrong, but it's the only vehical I've ever used any form of fuel injector cleaner, and the only one that had fuel injectors go bad.No way to say for sure Techtron caused it, but I sure wouldn't use it again. Now have a 2014 Jeep with basically the same engine, and no fuel injector failures and don't add anything to the fuel.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No ... unless it can be justified !!! Why do you think you need it ???
The ol' ounce of prevention to a pound of cure comes to mind. I can't see my fuel injectors, I have no idea what shape they are in. Is it just a marketing gimmic? I don't know. Does it sound like a good idea, yea sort of. Do I need to wait until I have a failure? That doesn't sound like the way to go either. So Greg what is the answer? Wait until you have a problem and take it to a Gold Wing mechanic? Or use some and hope it works avoiding big bucks at shop.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
The ol' ounce of prevention to a pound of cure comes to mind. I can't see my fuel injectors, I have no idea what shape they are in. Is it just a marketing gimmic? I don't know. Does it sound like a good idea, yea sort of. Do I need to wait until I have a failure? That doesn't sound like the way to go either. So Greg what is the answer? Wait until you have a problem and take it to a Gold Wing mechanic? Or use some and hope it works avoiding big bucks at shop.
You're probably better off by using a premium fuel that has cleaners already mixed in. Shell and Chevron come to mind. For more info, read what they say at the pump. To my knowledge, I've never used an additive in any of my vehicles. I've been driving for more than 55 years.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The Chevron Techron was the replacement treatment at VW for carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves causing a stumble on cold takeoff. The previous treatment was removing the intake manifolds and using a walnut husk machine to mechanically remove the same deposits. I use the Techron, on my cars mostly the keep carbon deposits at bay. I used it in my 150,000 mile 1500 after being ashamed of the carbon buildup on my own engine, upon replacement of cylinder head gaskets for a coolant leak during winter storage. The stuff works!!! it is the only chemical that does, and I use it sparingly, but I use it. Using gas with the same additives is THE better option. But I’m glad the Techron is available.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Chevron Techron was the replacement treatment at VW for carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves causing a stumble on cold takeoff. The previous treatment was removing the intake manifolds and using a walnut husk machine to mechanically remove the same deposits. I use the Techron, on my cars mostly the keep carbon deposits at bay. I used it in my 150,000 mile 1500 after being ashamed of the carbon buildup on my own engine, upon replacement of cylinder head gaskets for a coolant leak during winter storage. The stuff works!!! it is the only chemical that does, and I use it sparingly, but I use it. Using gas with the same additives is THE better option. But I’m glad the Techron is available.
Worked at a Audi dealer in the 80's, Techroline was the additive. We also pulled off the intake manifold and blasted walnuts shells on the intake valves. The problem was C.I.S. injection.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well, you did a search and found nothing... that’s rather amazing. I asked this question over 10 years ago and got the same answers. And this question comes up at least twice a year on this board. And you get the usual answers...

Yes, good to do...

No, waste of money...

I always use it...

I’ve never used it...

I understand all gasoline is required to have some injector cleaner in it. Go forth and buy quality gas and ride on!

Don’t waste your money on Techron, buy a quality tequila instead!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts