GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a long term relationship in the automotive aftermarket with USASPEC , I have used them for many of our customers on their Honda cars. While the debate about a Spyder RTS Touring versus a GL1800 is for another time , I truly missed the ipod integration that I had on my Can Am Spyder RTS when riding the Wing.
As luck would have it I noticed that their ipod controller for the Honda Pilot SUV also is fully compatible with the GL1800. So I grabbed one off the shelf and took it home. The install took all of 15 minutes ; remove seat , plug in harness , drill hole to trunk , velcro in controller , plug in ipod/ iphone. Reinstall seat , Select play and get rollin. Ive logged about 300 miles so far with this setup , the sound quality is great, moving through playlists via the factory handlebar control is easy and fast and I could Not be happier. I am not endorsing USASPEC, I am merely posting my results , the model number you will need is PA15-HON2. available on ebay or any aftermarket stereo shop should have it as its used in many Honda car applications. The harness is the same as the Honda car. Ive included a couple pics and a link to the finished video. This truly was a 15 minute job with outstanding results. Great sound quality , my phone stays charged and no more searching for FM stations. The adapter can be had for under $ 150.00 pretty much at anyplace that has it.
Just thought I'd share.

video link: http://youtu.be/Fcei2C7yPEs

usaspec3.jpg
usaspec1.jpg usaspec2.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would be curious to know if you switch back and forth from the CD (Ipod controler) to FM, AM, XM etc., if you can get the dreaded flashing "No Disk" icon.

Rick

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
The test is on the pre 2006 radio hopefully it will be good to go although the price is a little high considering the alternatives my guess would be if it does not produce the NO DISC on 06+ it will lockup on 2001-2005 but I have been wrong before

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ipod switching

I would be curious to know if you switch back and forth from the CD (Ipod controler) to FM, AM, XM etc., if you can get the dreaded flashing "No Disk" icon.

Rick

Here is a quick video response showing that the switching works fine between fm am cd using the controller. This is a 2006 with Nav.

http://youtu.be/I5V5xRdEMoY

the link should be live shortly..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks good thanks.

The next test/question would be to see the same results (no flashing "No Disk" icon) when repeated switching between the ipod and the Aux input. However, I am just pushing the testing, so please don't feel obligated. I am just being curious. :)

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good thanks.

The next test/question would be to see the same results (no flashing "No Disk" icon) when repeated switching between the ipod and the Aux input. However, I am just pushing the testing, so please don't feel obligated. I am just being curious. :)

Rick
headed out to the garage , please hold........... :cool:

It works great , see video link below, and I even switched between the weather band too ;)

http://youtu.be/wcQQ_nwPLGc

Link should be live in a few.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Showoff!!! :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Showoff!!! :)
BTW The Aux. Input I am worried about is the Aux. line into the PA15-HON2 and not the GW Aux input.
Sorry if I was not clear... my bad

Rick

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
BTW The Aux. Input I am worried about is the Aux. line into the PA15-HON2 and not the GW Aux input.
Sorry if I was not clear... my bad

Rick

As I remember on the PA15-HON2 you have to go to CD9 to enable the AUX input unfortunately the navigation bike only goes to CD6 so not sure AUX is available the non nav goes to CD9 so should work as long as the PA15-HON2 sees the tune button works like the CD pre-select buttons

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Unless this particular interface unit provides iPod specific info to the screen then it's no different than any other interface unit. When they get to the point where they show the artist, the playlist and everything else shown on the actual iPod screen then it will be something special.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the heads-up, just ordered one from Ebay-- Buy-It-Now was only $42.95 + $9.95 shipping. If it doesn't work on my 2003, one of you guys with a '06+ will be able to pick it up cheap off the for sale board...

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the heads-up, just ordered one from Ebay-- Buy-It-Now was only $42.95 + $9.95 shipping. If it doesn't work on my 2003, one of you guys with a '06+ will be able to pick it up cheap off the for sale board...
You didn't buy this one did you if so its not the same unit being discussed here does not even have the correct plug for the bike as I remember it does not actually control the iPod just charges and gives a aux input

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACURA...deo&hash=item2ebe657862&vxp=mtr#ht_6660wt_922

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yup, that's the one, the listing cited the same part number as the OP, so I figure I'll take a chance and see if it's the same thing. If it's not, it's an easy return-- the seller's not that far from me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I remember on the PA15-HON2 you have to go to CD9 to enable the AUX input unfortunately the navigation bike only goes to CD6 so not sure AUX is available the non nav goes to CD9 so should work as long as the PA15-HON2 sees the tune button works like the CD pre-select buttons
You are correct , I have my XM plugged into the AUX in the front left compartment (The bike AUX , not the USASPEC AUX) , thus all works wonderful. I use CD button for IPod , and AUX for XM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, that's the one, the listing cited the same part number as the OP, so I figure I'll take a chance and see if it's the same thing. If it's not, it's an easy return-- the seller's not that far from me.
That plug "looks" correct in the picture supplied, if it works , that would be a GREAT price for an adapter. The USASPEC adapter can't be found for anywhere near that price........ But reading the description further , they merely grabbed the USASPEC part number and inserted it into the description , the description also states will not charge newer 5v iphones/pods and gives errors on iphones. The USASPEC works on all of these with no errors and charges them also which was important to me. Also the USASPEC is a aluminum cased unit which is very stout and quite frankly has been a mainstream manufacturer in the ipod interface arena for years. Once you receive it let us know what you think!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glad to hear the plug looks right, if it is, this may work for me-- I have two old Ipod Touch units (one Gen 1, one Gen 2) that I can dedicate to the task, hopefully, one of 'em will work. Even if this turns out to be one of those "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is" purchases, I'll have a nice ride down to Tucson to return it. I'll post back to the thread with results, one way or the other.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay, so it WAS too good to be true...

After the discussion here about the $42.95 unit from Ebay, I posted a note to the seller, and included a link to this thread. Here's his response:

"Hello, I looked at the link and I don't think it's the same module, so I've refunded your transaction."

There was more (it was a surprisingly candid response!), but the gist was, stick to the USA Spec module. He's already credited my Paypal account in full, so all's good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After the discussion here about the $42.95 unit from Ebay, I posted a note to the seller, and included a link to this thread. Here's his response:

"Hello, I looked at the link and I don't think it's the same module, so I've refunded your transaction."

There was more (it was a surprisingly candid response!), but the gist was, stick to the USA Spec module. He's already credited my Paypal account in full, so all's good.
Thats an ebayer worth remembering. Glad to hear it. I can't say enough about the USASPEC device. It appears overbuilt , has excellent company support and has performed flawlessly. I truly believe this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. Best 120 bucks I spent on my GL1800 yet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Finally got around to ordering a genuine PA15-HON2, got it through Amazon (from a company called Audio Kraze), $118.90 including shipping.

Now, all I have to do if convince myself it's worth getting up at 5am, while the garage is still cool enough to install it....

Thanks, again, to the OP for the heads-up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts