GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my shoulder has finally healed from surgery and I am looking at getting a 2018 Wing Tour. Thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is I would want to use for work trips/daily commute and need to have a jacket, ready to wear, with me. For trips, I'd need a couple of jackets. I've been thinking of building a vertical storage to attach to the hitch, including lights, etc but I know it won't look as nice as a factory solution. Anyone seen/heard of a factory storage that would accommodate a sport coat or 3 and attach to the hitch? Hoping to avoid a trailer but I know that may end up being the only real solution.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I use this $12 bag I got from Walmart. I used to strap it to my seat. Now I strap it to the luggage rack.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Years ago there was a company that sold a hitch mounted hard golf bag. A friend bought one for carrying his R/C helicopter. Never saw him use it, but he said he liked it. Bottom mounted to the hitch and top attached to the trunk somehow.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have not seen exactly what you are looking for. I have seen a rigid container for golf clubs. Not sure if that helps. You could perhaps use something like a large Pelican style rifle/compound bow case and bolt upright to a traditional hitch rack. Of course you could do the same with an actual hard side suitcase made for suits.

When I used to work and travel for work I started using the roll up method for packing. It worked okay and limited wrinkles. I used this method to bring a dress coat to work in the trunk. Also, there was usually one day a week that I would need the cage so I could take in several days of dress clothes on those days. Lastly, my wife has a portable clothes steamer which I just took to work to touch up the wrinkles from the "trunk carry."

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Honestly, the resistance to pulling a trailer is unwarranted... I was skeptical as well but my wife, who usually rides her own Goldwing, once took a trip with me riding only my bike, her as a passenger and I bought a trailer and pulled it for the first time to do this. She promptly decided full time passenger was not her thing and returned to riding her GW now. But, on trips I still pull that trailer as the girl found out how nice it is to bring all her stuff none the less. So, now I'm the support bike pulling the trailer. I don't really notice it back there. You'd be surprised how often I look in the mirror to see if it's still back there. In reality, if it came off, with the safety chains etc, I'd know it real fast... but I really don't notice it back there in general. Sure, going slow over bumps etc you will be aware there will be one more set of wheels to go over the bump before you can take off... but at speed, general riding, I don't notice it.

Carving up the curves?... don't notice the trailer. But, I'll admit, doing the same thing without the trailer, it seems a bit more fun. That probably in my mind. But, riding this way burns up the trailer tires. So, the trailer (8 inch tires) gets new tires frequently. I would not recommend the small 8 inch tire trailers... get the 12 inch etc tire trailers. I suspect those tires will last much longer. I'd upgrade the trailer but it's not worth it, the trailer has 19 cu ft capacity, rides fine. New tires are only $60. I rather just put on new tires than spend $4000 for a Bushtec trailer.

For what you are wanting to do, get a trailer... ride on!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The resistance to a trailer is more about the day-to-day parking lot. Takes a bit longer to back into/ out of a space than it does to just whip in. Don't have too many places to just pull in. Obviously I can just deal with it but hoping to find an alternative. Honestly, I figure I'll end up with a trailer anyway...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a pak it on my last wing. Fine for travel if you don't care about wrinkles. Need to be able to have a jacket ready to throw on and head into work, wrinkle free.

·
Registered
437 Posts
need to have a jacket, ready to wear, with me. For trips, I'd need a couple of jackets.
I ride and wear suits regularly, and travel frequently packing suits.
On the bike, I fold my suit coat like this (skip to 29 seconds):
Then put it (up to two coats) in a large packing cube:

I use this process for throwing my coat in the saddlebag, packing into a suitcase, or into a rolling duffle bag.
The folding method somehow REALLY helps prevent wrinkles in the suit coat. I keep a large packing cube in the bags on both bikes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So, my shoulder has finally healed from surgery and I am looking at getting a 2018 Wing Tour. Thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is I would want to use for work trips/daily commute and need to have a jacket, ready to wear, with me. For trips, I'd need a couple of jackets. I've been thinking of building a vertical storage to attach to the hitch, including lights, etc but I know it won't look as nice as a factory solution. Anyone seen/heard of a factory storage that would accommodate a sport coat or 3 and attach to the hitch? Hoping to avoid a trailer but I know that may end up being the only real solution.

A VERTICAL storage area !!!! I LOVE this !!! I'm positive I've never seen THAT before. I would love to see what you end up getting/building etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had a pak it on my last wing. Fine for travel if you don't care about wrinkles. Need to be able to have a jacket ready to throw on and head into work, wrinkle free.

I love this. Of course, regarding the wrinkles. If it's folded, it's GOING to have wrinkles. Period. Einstein, physics, etc. I would love to see your VERTICAL storage for a bike if you can find one ( does it even exist ?? ) or if you make one !!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I ride and wear suits regularly, and travel frequently packing suits.
On the bike, I fold my suit coat like this (skip to 29 seconds):
Then put it (up to two coats) in a large packing cube:

I use this process for throwing my coat in the saddlebag, packing into a suitcase, or into a rolling duffle bag.
The folding method somehow REALLY helps prevent wrinkles in the suit coat. I keep a large packing cube in the bags on both bikes.
I do this all the time and have no problem with wrinkles.:):):)

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Bushtec has a garment bag that snaps to underside of the lid of the trailer...the garment bag keeps your clothes clean and wrinkle free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts