GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 GL1800A and am thinking about adding TPMS. I have read about Big Bike Parts Enhanced TireGard 2 Tire Pressure Monitoring System 13-315U and the Doran brand. Do any of you have any other recommendations because after reading about both of these, I don't feel comfortable with either one. The negatives I have read are sensors only last half of what they are rated and cost lots of money and some require batteries instead of direct wiring. I know nothing is perfect but, I don't want to add something that is just going to be a pain in the rear. Have any of you added TPMS to your bike and really felt it was a good decision?

Big H

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a 2005 GL1800A and am thinking about adding TPMS. I have read about Big Bike Parts Enhanced TireGard 2 Tire Pressure Monitoring System 13-315U and the Doran brand. Do any of you have any other recommendations because after reading about both of these, I don't feel comfortable with either one. The negatives I have read are sensors only last half of what they are rated and cost lots of money and some require batteries instead of direct wiring. I know nothing is perfect but, I don't want to add something that is just going to be a pain in the rear. Have any of you added TPMS to your bike and really felt it was a good decision?

Big H
You are correct in your statement, that each one has some negatives and some positives. I have Doran and sensor battery yet to last more than about 14 months. But I still like it and gives you reading anytime you want.
Sensors are only $20 bucks unlike some others at almost 50 bucks a piece.
You have to choose which one you like.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I know several people who have added the "Doran" system to their bike and like them. I personally don't like the looks of the Doran. The display module seems way to big. I think it could be much smaller to make mounting easier. Also, from the time you start your bike until you get a reading on the display seems way to long (several minutes).

I also know several people who have the Tire Guard 2 and seem happy with it as well. They mount the display with velcro. Yeah, it uses a battery, but it's so much smaller and more convenient to mount. And because power is always on with the receiver, displaying the tire pressure is just about instantaneous. Replacement batteries are cheap and need to be replaced about once a year.

You should not use either system without metal valve stems. The stock stems that come on the bike can't support the the force than is generated when the wheel is in motion. A pair of "Patch Boy" valve stems are a good choice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
......... Also, from the time you start your bike until you get a reading on the display seems way to long (several minutes)......
Not the case if you hard wire it directly to battery.......Reading all the time, as long as you battery has juice in it....;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
garmin390

I went with the Garmin 390 with TPM. Each sensor has a replaceable battery and I hardwired the gps to the bike. Very happy with it!!

The only complaint, (other then the $600 cost) when unit come on it looks for the sensors, since the wheels haven't been moving they are "off" and the gps interprets that as a "tire sensors not connected" error. Once you start moving they connect, but you have to touch the screen to make the error message go away. I would have wrote the software program to not go into "error" message until after the unit was on for 5 minutes. I wrote garmin and suggested a firmware change. They said it was written to error on the side of safety.

·
Registered
460 Posts
True. But if it's "switched," then it takes a while.
Yes, it does. But wouldn't you like to know if your tire pressure is OK before you start rolling?
So why not to hard wire it in the first place. Draw is minimal....;)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

Big H
My Doran sensors last about 2 years (I ride about 20k miles a year). The sensors are only $25 each. The Doran if switched with the ignition takes up to 6 minutes to get a reading from the sensors. Could be instantly or up to 6 minutes. It just depends on when you turn on the system and when the last time the wheel sensor last transmitted (they transmit every 6 minutes unless a loss in pressure is detected). I turn the bike to "ACC" and after the GPS boots, and I'm ready to go, the system is normally giving me a reading. Don't want to wait, wire it up to be on all the time. Then you always have a reading on the tires.

That Tire Guard 2 system is great until you actually want to read it (very small display) or it starts to rain. Bring a baggy because it doesn't like to get wet. All the systems have their pro/cons.

If you want a system that has batteries that last and last, it will likely have sensors that "sleep". And guess when the wake up? When you start riding. Not very convenient if you want the system to display the pressure before you ride.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I just manually check mine every 2 weeks. Never down more than a pound or so. Never worried about the pressure while riding. I've been riding for almost 50 years and picked up some nails/screws over the years but never had a tire I could not ride on due to losing all the air. Guess I have just been lucky. From what I understand is the tire pressure increases as the tires heat up. So you do not get a true reading. Probably only good if you were going flat while riding. I think I will save my money and do the lay on the ground check periodically.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts