GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you:
1. Skin the wire ans solder the wires together, then insulate?
2. Use a quick splice wire connector?

I can do either.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Would you:
1. Skin the wire and solder the wires together, then insulate?
2. Use a quick splice wire connector?I can do either.
I never use a "quick splice" on a motorcycle..

.. it's just going to corrode and eventually fail...
...probably when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Skin, solder and insulate... do it right.

Dennis

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you have an ABs model, I would use a trailer wiring isolator harness and come off of that. Or if you already have one installed for a trailer, tap into that. Yes I am paranoid about tieing into factory wiring :eek:4:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wiring

When I added my sidecar to my 1100 I soldered everything then put in

quick disconnects. To insulate I used marine liquid insulation coating. You

just brush it on and it stays semi soft but its water proof and easy to get on in tight places. Enjoy your sidecar. I'm on my 3rd.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Solder over butt splices every time.

Quick connects all to soon become quick disconnects or sometime connects or short against something.

Let me be clear --------- SOLDER :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Use a Trailer Isolator!

Honda has downsized the Wire Guage too much to trust adding any load to the OEM harness.

Most Isolator's have Plug-n-Play connectors that attach to the Tail, Stop & Turn in the area under the trunk behind the "Fender". From there you can run the output wires forward for your Sidecar harness and Solder as needed.

The ShowChrome Isolators are cheep enough and small enough that I used two on my Rig. One feeds the Sidecar and the other feeds that Trailer.
Not having any max capacity info to go by I went with the dual units to be on the safe side.

If you want to use only one Isolator for both Sidecar and Trailer lights be sure it is heavy duty enough to run them all.

Scotch Locks and other quick connect Wire Taps should be outlawed IMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sidecar wiring

No trailer. And I'm going to disconnect the right turn signal on the bike. Too confusing having two turn signals so far apart.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For those locations where you want to be able to disconnect, I have found Posi-Locks works great. You can buy them direct from Posi-Lock, Harbor Fright and some auto part stores.

http://www.posi-lock.com/assortments.html

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Also, if you need a fuse block I highly recommend the PC-8 from Eastern Beaver. They also sell the Posi-Locks, and other assorted electrical items. Service was quick and if you have any questions you can email him. He is in Japan so you might not want to phone him.
http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

Here is a photo of where I mounted mine,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts