GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
310 Posts
Debating on getting one myself. Go here, Goldwing Online, it is the least expensive place I found for a lot of GW accessories. Register with them and it is even cheaper a lot of the time. They don't bombard you with emails like other sites. AL is a great person to deal with. I always recommend his site.

I agree with @Al P. about the power distribution. CANBUS is very sensitive to current draw above what it is supposed to have. I use the Pathfinder PAH60GW-V2. I have my trailer wiring through it right now. I plan to add some extra lights a little later and will run them through it.

Reactions: Snugglebum

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
310 Posts
You can add a dozen LEDs before it comes close to just one incandescent light. That is why I swapped out my 2005 tail lights to LEDs. Saves on battery and alternator.
The 2005 uses a fuse system and isn't controlled by a computer like the CANBUS. My 2015 is all LED (including headlights). Current draw is not "monitored" on the older systems. That is why if you changed the turn signals to LED, you had to change the flasher unit along with it or you would get no flash or hyperflash. The turn flasher unit for incandescent bulbs run off of current draw.

That changed with the 2018+ as the current is monitored by the computer and if there is more than expected, it decides there is a problem and things start acting weird.

It is always a good idea to not tap into the wiring, but rather have a power distribution block of some kind to keep the load off the bikes wiring and reduce the amount of potential problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts