GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if we would benefit by having a forum for SAFETY ISSUES ONLY?

I thing it may be worth while since more and more reports of motorcycle accidents are happening all of the time, we may be able to contribute to more attention to safety.

This message board may be the first to address safety issues as a single subject.

This article from Washington State is what intiated my idea here. At least Washington State appears to be putting some interests into motorcycle safety. The data in the information below is very alarming if it is correct, I wonder what it is in the other states.

The Motorcycle Task Force of Washington State was created to look into the steady increase of motorcycle fatalities and injuries, and come up with recommendations on how to reduce them. After meeting for several months, the task force concluded that, while there are multiple contributions to motorcycle crashes that result in fatalities or serious injuries; it appears that the most important factors are within control of the rider. They found that:

· More than 80 percent of fatalities occur between April and September - prime months for motorcycling.
· 50% of fatal crashes were single vehicle occurrences; no other vehicle was involved other than the motorcycles.
· The most common contributing factors to motorcycle fatalities, based on law enforcement on-scene reports are lane error, speeding, alcohol, and inattention.
· 30% of fatalities were motorcyclists who did not have a valid motorcycle endorsement.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
You can never be reminded enough about the Safety of Motorcycling and Driving and the dangers that go with it. I always drive with my lights on 2 lane roads even when I'm in the cage!
Hazel

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Let me see if I got this right:

Most of the fatalities were when there were more bikes on the road
More than 80 percent of fatalities occur between April and September - prime months for motorcycling.
That means there was less chance of getting killed on a bike if it is parked in the garage....Glad that is cleared up....

Half the time riders hit something stationary, ran off the road, or just lost it
50% of fatal crashes were single vehicle occurrences; no other vehicle was involved other than the motorcycles.
The rest of the time riders tangled with another vehicle...That tells me some need help, others can do it themselves

Driver error accounted for the most deaths
The most common contributing factors to motorcycle fatalities, based on law enforcement on-scene reports are lane error, speeding, alcohol, and inattention.
Or you only stood a 20% chance of getting killed if you did not screw up...

and about a third of the riders were not licensed to ride a bike
30% of fatalities were motorcyclists who did not have a valid motorcycle endorsement.
So what does that have to do with ability to avoid an accident? It just means they did not take a test or pay their fee to the state.....I do not think an endorsement will be more help than, say, a good helmet....

Did they also find there was not one legally blind rider involved in a fatality, that more men were involved than women, no operators were under 6 years old, or over 110 years old, or none of them were wearing a seat belt?

Maybe we need more laws. Everyone has to have insurance. No running into trees. No hitting cars. No speeds over 30. No stealing bikes. No cell phones in vehicles. No headphones to distract. But they apply to everyone but us, right?

Sure glad they are studying this - more laws we do not or cannot enforce. But is does make someone a job, and something for the media to write about.

Washington is right on top of things.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
safety

I think it would be a good idea to till about your experiences if it could save one person it would be worth the time I would not take anything for the class or instruction I have had It has help me a lot and I have a lot to learn yet

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IR Harry,
The content of this thread wasn't intended to be about the accuracy of the Washington State information. It was suppose to be about motorcycle safety.

I don't know what has happened to cause this negativity here but anything that we can do as individual motorcycle rider, groups or organized clubs is a good thing to bring attention to safety issues.

We continue to hear about people we may know personally, someone close or in our communities that has had a motorcycle accident. Some may not have been avoided but others could have with more experience and safety training. That's really what this is about.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kikker said:
IR Harry,
The content of this thread wasn't intended to be about the accuracy of the Washington State information. It was suppose to be about motorcycle safety.
Well said Kikker!

I am not so insecure, or negative, or self righteous that I am not willing to share information about something that we "might" learn something about. Nothing in life is fair, including contributing factors that cause accidents that are not our fault. Yes, the information from Washington state wasn't earth shattering news but it is a point from which we could have a meaningful discussion. I would be in favor of such a forum. What else is life, unless we continue to learn as we stumble along its path?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not to take anything away from the GL1800Riders forum, because I love this board...

However, there is an amazing forum specifically dedicated to motorcycle safety. There are hundreds of tips, techniques, and more. I have been a member of this forum for over a year. Very cool - here is the link:

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/

Be sure to scroll to the bottom and have a couple of hours set aside to read all of the Motorcycle Tips and Techniques Articles and Videos. There is a ton of excellent information that could help save your life!

Brian

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
IR Harry said:
30% of fatalities were motorcyclists who did not have a valid motorcycle endorsement.
So what does that have to do with ability to avoid an accident? It just means they did not take a test or pay their fee to the state.....I do not think an endorsement will be more help than, say, a good helmet....
What it implies is that there are too many riders that don't know how to ride. They are jumping on cycles without knowledge of countersteering, how lane position affect their ability to see and be seen, how road conditions affect their ability to manuever, why we use both front and rear braking simultaneously and other techniques that we who are experienced take for granted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
first i am not trying to offend any one this is just my opinion !

i think it is a good idea. BUT how will we keep it from becoming
a war story section with a lot of misinformation.

such as my blinking muffler bearing on my car tire lost its propane
so there for i ran in to a neon orange semi that was parked in the
mcdonalds lot

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
What it implies is that there are too many riders that don't know how to ride. They are jumping on cycles without knowledge of countersteering, how lane position affect their ability to see and be seen, how road conditions affect their ability to maneuver, why we use both front and rear braking simultaneously and other techniques that we who are experienced take for granted.
My point exactly. Someone runs down, takes a basic written test of 20 questions, drives a 250 around a couple of cones, and is now an experienced rider. Sure. With that and 20 grand, he is a safety conscious gold-winger.

Most dirt bikers and off-roaders do not have endorsements - lot to do with their age - but as a group they are a pretty capable group of bike handlers. Good physical condition, padding over every joint, able to fix the bike, concentrating on the objective, knowing what the bike will do, squeezing the outer limits of the machine.

Now look at us as a group - out of condition, no mechanical ability, ride a little about two months out of the year, on a quarter ton motorcycle racing down the freeway in thongs, shorts, drinking our coffee, tuning the XM, yaking on the cell phone and heading for the DQ to polish our chrome.

We have an Air Force full of pilots that do not have an FAA Pilots Certificate, we have rivers and lakes full of skippers that do not have Masters certificates, and they seem to do just fine. Safety comes with training, not a motorcycle endorsement or a certificate from the government.

When was your last advanced riders course? I am pretty typical - never took an advanced course, or a law enforcement course. And I have had an endorsement since they were issued. But I am not typical in that I have ridden continuously for over 50 years and ride more than 15,000 miles a year. That implies that I am experienced, and because I have not had a serious accident, that I am also either skilled or lucky. (Between luck and skill, pick luck).

This thread started as a bunch of statistics that really said nothing new. And what is missing is a plan to change the status quo. I guess what made me so negative was the emphasis put on those statistics, and the idea that we pay someone to dredge up what we already know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts