GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to make it up thru NY, sometime around the start of the 3rd week of May this year. This will be my first bike trip up this way. I'll be going north from south/central PA, Harrisburg area, onward to VT, and hoping I could get a peek of the Catskills, and make a run thru the Adirondacks, weather and road conditions permitting. Looking at the Atlas, thinking about taking Hwy 30 from Catskills to Tupper Lake and then head east on 73 towards VT. Will snow be a factor by then? TIA for any info you can provide. Tony

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'm hoping to make it up thru NY, sometime around the start of the 3rd week of May this year. This will be my first bike trip up this way. I'll be going north from south/central PA, Harrisburg area, onward to VT, and hoping I could get a peek of the Catskills, and make a run thru the Adirondacks, weather and road conditions permitting. Looking at the Atlas, thinking about taking Hwy 30 from Catskills to Tupper Lake and then head east on 73 towards VT. Will snow be a factor by then? TIA for any info you can provide. Tony
snow in the higher elev. of Adk, Vt. NH is a good possibilty, be ready just in case, keep a colse watch on the forecast while up there.
BTW, rt 30 is a good ride..

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
3rd week in May, you will be fine unless there is a freak weather event. Not likely, that late in the year. If you get time, swing by the house and we can hook you up with a stale donut and a cup of day old coffee.

Bulldog

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer Bulldog, if time allows may take ya up on it.

My SO is wanting to maybe stop overnite in the Tupper Lake area, can anyone recommend B&B's or motels or cabin rentals that area? TIA

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tony, Route 30 is a pretty ride but these isn't much in Tupper. Here is a link to some of the motels in Tupper http://tupper-lake.com/tag/lodging-2 Shaheens is nice as are most places up there. If you can stand to ride a little bit further that day, I would plant in Lake Placid rather than Tupper. Placid has some nice places to eat and things to do, all within walking distance of most hotels. Nice place in Placid is http://www.artdevlins.com/ great rates and comfortable rooms, biker friendly as are most places up there. Riding out of Lake Placid stay on 86 up past Whiteface, stop there if you have time, great view. Jump on 9N and 9 north ( N does not stand for "north" on that road) to Plattsburgh and you can take the ferry over from Cumberland to Grand Isle and on into Vermont, ferry is about a 15 minute ride. My SO and I spend a lot of time up in the Adirondack park during the summer, some great riding up there.

Weather...........usually all over the map up here at that time of year but as someone already said unless it's a freak event, no snow but you will more than likely have to deal with rain and some cool temps. Americade is the first week of June and it usually rains at least one day during the rally in Lake George.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tony, Route 30 is a pretty ride but these isn't much in Tupper. Here is a link to some of the motels in Tupper http://tupper-lake.com/tag/lodging-2 Shaheens is nice as are most places up there. If you can stand to ride a little bit further that day, I would plant in Lake Placid rather than Tupper. Placid has some nice places to eat and things to do, all within walking distance of most hotels. Nice place in Placid is http://www.artdevlins.com/ great rates and comfortable rooms, biker friendly as are most places up there. Riding out of Lake Placid stay on 86 up past Whiteface, stop there if you have time, great view. Jump on 9N and 9 north ( N does not stand for "north" on that road) to Plattsburgh and you can take the ferry over from Cumberland to Grand Isle and on into Vermont, ferry is about a 15 minute ride. My SO and I spend a lot of time up in the Adirondack park during the summer, some great riding up there.

Weather...........usually all over the map up here at that time of year but as someone already said unless it's a freak event, no snow but you will more than likely have to deal with rain and some cool temps. Americade is the first week of June and it usually rains at least one day during the rally in Lake George.
:yes1:+1
I agree with goingballistic. Rain and cool temps will more than likely be more problematic than snow. If you can route yourself along the east lake road of the Great Sacandaga Lake, it is a bit more scenic -IMHO. You can get back onto 30 if you cross the bridge about 2/3 through.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with the guys about rt 30. but don't limit yourself to just rt.30 in the ADK's. IMHO rt 30 is the best road in the entire state but pick it up at the beginning in East Branch,ny on rt. 17 in the catskills,you could even visit bulldog on your way to east branch. take rt.30 all the way up thru tupper to rt 3 and then take taht to lake placid, where you can keep going north to rouses point and cross over into vermont or go south from lake placid,thru the high peaks region down to ft. ticonderoga and take a ferry over to vermont. when in vermont get yourself to rt 100 and ride the green mountains. don't worry too much about the weather, it could be 85 or it could be 45, plenty of mom and pop motels and restaurants all along the rt.30 and you can experience the close in mountains of the catskills and the majestic peaks of the ADK's. I usually camp the first week in june in either of these regions and always have a great time

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts