GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put up with it long enough!
Before
1. Set cruise, release throttle, speed would drop at least 10 MPH, before reterning to set speed.
2. Turn off cruise for slow cage, pull out and pass,accelerate above set speed, hit resume, release throttle.
Would drop below set speed. then come up to set speed

Followed this: http://thehubers.net/goldwing/cruise_control.htm

Easy as pie, just make sure to tie string on wrenches, just in case!!!

Adjusted mine 3 full turns and cruise is now right on , both problems gone.
Why did I wait so long to just DO IT ????

Big thanks to the author, great instructions................

·
Registered
547 Posts
blento-

Since you've done this, let me ask you a question:
How difficult is this, from a mechanical aptitude standpoint? On a scale of 1-10, I'm probably a 3 or 4. Would I be able to do this? I've got more tools than I know how to use, thinking I'd somehow get some skill if I gathered up enough tools. It hasn't helped. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silverback,
Does not take much mech skill. Just some effort as it is a little difficult to reach.
Hardest part is getting the plug out of the socket.
You need to push down on the tab on the plug that comes off.(inside piece)
Look with a flashlight, you will see the little bump on the plug, facing the front of the bike.
I was able to push it down with my thumb nail.
There also are 2 Phillips screws on either side of the ignition switch.
I took these out also so you can push the cover to the side, a little more.
Then put some rags on the edges, they are sharp.

Make sure you tie some string on the wrenches, if they fall they are very hard to get out......
I marked the long nut with a marker, and counted the turns carefully.
Just make sure to turn the large nut counter clockwise (when looking from the top).
Then make sure to lock the small nut TIGHT to the large one.
I turned mine 3 full turns.
Go for it, it is not that hard.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
blento said:
I put up with it long enough!
Before
1. Set cruise, release throttle, speed would drop at least 10 MPH, before reterning to set speed.
2. Turn off cruise for slow cage, pull out and pass,accelerate above set speed, hit resume, release throttle.
Would drop below set speed. then come up to set speed

Followed this: http://thehubers.net/goldwing/cruise_control.htm

Easy as pie, just make sure to tie string on wrenches, just in case!!!

Adjusted mine 3 full turns and cruise is now right on , both problems gone.
Why did I wait so long to just DO IT ????

Big thanks to the author, great instructions................
Hey Blento,
Mines an '06 and has no where near the lag yours had. It may drop 3-4mph then set or resume the speed. It's more of a slight annoyance than anything. I guess if it starts to bug me enough I will adjust mine too. Txs for the site I bookmarked to my fav's just in case I need the info. T. 8)

·
Registered
973 Posts
The adjustment procedure is in your repair manual on page 20-16.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I asked my dealer to adjusted the cruise while they had the front end taking apart. and the service manager told me,

It's electrictronic, no adjustment,
so I took him the instructions, and he didn't have much to say,

when I got the bike back, they still hadn't adjusted it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Got a new 06 here myself and the cruise control works just like a car. No excessive lag, delay, speed surge, etc. Works 100% just fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 06 had about a 5mpg lag and I just adjusted it. Remove the Dash cover and take out the right screw on the ignition switch. You can then bend back the right filler peice (din't know what to call it. The peice of plastic that plugs up the hole around your handle bars) and the adjustment is right there. I adjusted mine out three full turns and it works just right now. It took me about 15 minutes.

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
lomax said:
My 06 had about a 5mpg lag and I just adjusted it. Remove the Dash cover and take out the right screw on the ignition switch. You can then bend back the right filler peice (din't know what to call it. The peice of plastic that plugs up the hole around your handle bars) and the adjustment is right there. I adjusted mine out three full turns and it works just right now. It took me about 15 minutes.

Cheers.
Marc
That's odd....i was lookingmine the other day and convinced myself that the shelter had to come off. I was in no mood for that at the time!! I'll have to go back in there and look at that again. My lag is not too bad but I want it spot on.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I just did it a few minutes ago. Took me bout an hour. I did have to raise the shelter but not take off the wiring connectors. Only had to raise it to get backthe filler piece that covers the cable. Other than that it was a piece of cake! I went about 3-1/4 turns.

Haven't tried it yet will later this afternoon on our Saturday dinner ride.

G

·
blento, thanks for this post. :)

I decided to stop putting up with the lag and do the adjustment.
It was a piece of cake! If I had known it was this easy, I would have done
it along time ago.
I tried 3 turns and took it for a test ride and it is right on the money.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I tried 3 turns and tool it for a test ride and it is right on the money.
About 3-1/4 turns for me......I'm right on the money too! Sweet, that little deal was driving nuts......I hate stuff that don't work right!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I adjusted mine on Friday too. Need a 8 and 10 mm wrench. Once the lock nut was loose, you can adjust to long nut with your fingers. Took me 4 turns.

I also filed the electrical plug locking tab down for future removal. I can't see this plug ever coming loose on it's own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts