GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reviewed Fred H's. DVD on adjusting the Cruise Control and went looking for the three pointers and did not see them. Looking at the ECM unit in the DVD and looking at the one on my 08 and they are different in terms of the plug connection locations.
On the 08, are the points in a different location than what Fred show's in the DVD? The red arrow points to the hole where points can be seen in the DVD.
See attached for the subject pointers.
Cruise Control Pointers.jpg
Location of pointers in DVD.jpg

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found it. It is in the same location but it helped to unbolt the ECM and move it to the right a little. The left pointer is pointing to the lowest pointer of the two so I will adjust it and all should be good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you trying to adjust for lag? I adjusted the cable to correct mine, there are posts about doing it that way also. I don’t have the DVD’s.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If Honda used those pointer to set the cruise cable on assembly, then I now understand why there is so much variance to the lag of hitting the button and cruise actually holding speed. There is a good bit of cable difference between those two pointers. I had to adjust every 2001-2017 (well -2010 for me) I have had and helped several others adjust theirs.

I have found the best adjustment method to be with the engine running at idle. Then lengthen the housing slowly until RPM starts to rise a bit. Then back off 1-2 revolutions of the adjustment cable. There was a method with the engine off involving hearing a specific sound when dropping the throttle. This method did not work on my 2006 as I ended up with it idling a 3K once started. That issues was fixed by reversing the adjustment until idle returned to normal and went one revolution more. The results on the road were now acceptable being able to release the throttle a second after the button and no speed drop or even RPM drop. But my 2018 does spoiled me a little by being able to let go as I release the set or resume button. Then get on my 2010 and get an RPM blip because I let go a second too soon.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I found it. It is in the same location but it helped to unbolt the ECM and move it to the right a little. The left pointer is pointing to the lowest pointer of the two so I will adjust it and all should be good.
I did this same job on my 08 last year and the cruise was still off. I figured I either forgot to tighten things up again (possible, but not likely as I successfully did the adjustment on my 03 just a few years before that) OR I forgot to operate the throttle open/closed a few times and then re-check the pointers. That step apparently helps account for cable slack and slop. In short I did everything called for in the procedure but it didn’t work, so before you close it all up visually verify, even road test, if possible.

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
This is how the cruise control is adjusted at JustWings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I set mine by the road test. Had the shelter off and hit the country roads and adjusted as needed. The cable adjustment was a lot more than I would have expected.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea of adjusting the cable until you hear a change in RPM's. Not know about this I did it like I did on my first 08 and that was to turn the adjuster nut 4 complete turns. That point the pointer in between the two pointers and that should have it very close. I'll try it today and if I don't have a serge when I hit the set button I'll leave it at that setting. The way Honda had it, when I pushed the set button and waited a few second and then relax the throttle the speed would drop almost 5 miles an hour. Not good.

I keep the RPM method for future use just in case I need to adjust it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts