GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easier way to remove camshaft to change shims on the right side? When I removed the camshaft on the left side it was a piece of cake. The right side was murder.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
What seems to be the problem?

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Is there an easier way to remove camshaft to change shims on the right side? When I removed the camshaft on the left side it was a piece of cake. The right side was murder.
Do you have your right and lefts mixed up. Right and left is always from the perspective of operating the vehicle.

With that, I'm gonna assume that you are really asking about the left cam. The left cam has the cam pulse rotor (part #5 in the fish below) attached to the front of it. When adjusting the valves on 5th gens, I never remove, or free, the left cam from the chain. As long as the chain is completely de-tensioned, there is enough flex in the chain guides to allow you to pry out on the cam shaft just a little more, and with a strong magnet, the front bucket can be removed and reinstalled.

The right cam is the only cam that must be remove for the most forward bucket. But removing that one is easy.

Hint ... before reinstalling a valve cover, with a flashlight look in and make sure that the chain is running center on both, upper and lower, chain guides.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053ec26f870021c54be417b/cam-chain-tensioner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts