GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took a local advanced riders course. the instructor said if you have to hit an animal aim for the center and brake after u hit it.
those two things saved my life.
see my for sale add.
i was doing better then 50 when the deer ran out .
im glad to be here and able to tell this story.
thanks to my instructor.
bless all of my friends and all of the people o know.

jack

·
Registered
322 Posts
Why on earth should you brake afterwards? I get the center punch, but it seems a slower speed at the moment of impact is always going to be better. Did he explain his theory?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why on earth should you brake afterwards? I get the center punch, but it seems a slower speed at the moment of impact is always going to be better. Did he explain his theory?
Roadkill, contrary to common opinion....could be a delicacy...that's why you brake after the hit. And....you can also take pictures and post here later......that's why.

·
Registered
654 Posts
An interesting statement from the instructor. I imagine it was so the stability of the bike is not compromised when you hit the animal. While braking, an impact of any kind in my thoughts would put you to the ground whereas if you stay on the throttle (not trying to gun it, just trying to maintain speed) you stand a chance to punch through and keep the bike upright. Even if the whole front end of the misc. items (plastics, headlight, windshield, etc.) the forks and wheel will likely be intact enough to come to a safe stop. So to me it makes sense. Hit the animal, then come to a stop to 1) check the bike over, its likely not gonna be rideable for any serious distances. and 2) calm your nerves.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Very simple.

You can hash it and dice it. You can armchair quarterback it, and discuss it all you want.

When it comes to hitting a deer, it happens so fast that you do not have time to do much of anything.

The ones you see are harmless. The one you do not see is the one that gets you.

There is little time, it happens fast. All you can do is hit the damm thing.

If there is a bit of time, braking and going into a slide will kill you, hitting the deer is the best way.

The one I hit folded the front end up against the motor(do you think I was going too fast.??) It was not there and then there was this blur coming from the right up high and down into front of the bike , I had all of four feet to react. At 70 mph. Not much time.

Deer swung around and pounded my right leg, for some reason that leg would not work as I kinda slid to a stop, then I just fell over and rolled off the bike as it fell.

Darn that hurt. I hobbled around for two hours before that leg decided to work.

So folks stopped and helped me, dragged the bike out of the road, directed traffic and so on, called the police.

So do you tell your wife.........hum.........I did not till the next day, where is your bike.........well ya know............

Not much you can do , it happens fast. And I mean fast.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Obviously, if you see it in time, slow considerably or stop. However, my experience and what I read says that most deer hits are last-second-no-way-to-avoid-it collisions.

In that scenario, twice, I just locked my arms, maintained throttle and rode right thru them. Barely felt a thing doing about 45mph.

Think about it: 900+ lb. bike, 200 lb. rider with momentum. Anything smaller than a very big animal is gonna lose. My hits were a 100 lb deer and a medium size dog. I barely noticed anything.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For deer, even in a car they recommend you do not brake. It makes the front end dive and could cause the deer to flip up over the hood and in through the windshield. Maybe on a bike same sor of thing?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Why on earth should you brake afterwards?
To stop and inspect your damage and see if you can even make it home, obviously.

Braking/swerving beforehand will result in a loss of control. I have dozens of accident reports I have written that will attest to this - many with vehicles down in ditches, flipped over, flung into oncoming lanes, or out in the trees.

Almost every one of them that didn't swerve or brake was found on the shoulder, upright, occupants ok, and fluids draining.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
To stop and inspect your damage and see if you can even make it home, obviously.

Braking/swerving beforehand will result in a loss of control. I have dozens of accident reports I have written that will attest to this - many with vehicles down in ditches, flipped over, flung into oncoming lanes, or out in the trees.

Almost every one of them that didn't swerve or brake was found on the shoulder, upright, occupants ok, and fluids draining.
Should I ask?:cool:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ask what?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Well.......I would think the reason for NOT being on the brakes at impact, would be the fact that you are already loading the front suspension, and your weight is well forward due to braking. The sudden reduction in speed due to impact could put you over the bars maybe? I dunno....

HOWEVER: I would be hard on the brakes right until the moment of impact anyway. If I have to hit something, I'd rather it be at a slow speed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I get the "don't swerve" idea, but as a retired pilot I was always taught if a crash is inevitable always slow the aircraft as much as possible. On a bike it seems a crash at 30 to 40 mph is much more survivable than one at 60 to 70. I realize deer strikes happen fast, but it still seems slower has to be better.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
My neighbor cut a deer in two riding a crotch rocket. God was watching over him that day. Never got a scratch. Bike was totaled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts