GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seriously considering buying a goldwing within the next few days,
I would appreciate some advice,
1. ABS or not?
2. I really like the '03 yellow wing but for couple of hundreds more I can get 04 model - is there any difference?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
bike advice

I'm thinking the bikes are the same except, the 04 has lighted controls and a vent in the windshield.
I definitely reccommend the abs option. If you have to lock em up on a wet slippery surface, you will thank your lucky stars that you have this life saving option. The 1800 wing has very strong brakes and a brake lockup is very possible. Personally i would pay more for a yellow abs than anyother bike. Yellow was the most popular seller for quiet a while. I've had mine almost 3 years, and am still enjoying the yellow. I have a matching bushtec quantum trailer.
JD 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
wingless

Go for the ABS,
04's will have better frames, but if you'r not afraid of waiting. I would wait for the 05's to come out and see if they have the upgrades done. They arev supposed to redo the radiaters and the fans so it wont over heat. It hasn't been fixed ( bandaid only). Its tough to be without a bike, if you dont want to wait for 05 get an 04 thatb way you wont have to worry about frame cracks.
roger/orangestreak

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Re: bike advice

JD said:
Personally i would pay more for a yellow abs than anyother bike. Yellow was the most popular seller for quiet a while. I've had mine almost 3 years, and am still enjoying the yellow. I have a matching bushtec quantum trailer.
JD 8)
JD doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yes, to ABS. But the fastest color is Candy Red, so you might as well get an '04.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
wingless

i just got a new one in late october. yes i really like the 2004 bright red, its the same color as my 1998 pacific coast.

however being somewhat of a cheap shake, i went looking for price and not color as the # 1 concern.

i turned up a zero mileage 2002 orange one that was about $ 14000. it was outside the frame recall range.

yes it would have been nice for that red one and the lighted controls, but i can buy a lot more do dads and gas with all the money i saved.

and to be real honest, what difference does color actually make, as long as the thing says goldwing, youll love it.

loren

·
Registered
226 Posts
the 04 has got some cool new stuff on it
and it IS an 04
the main thing is get what YOU want , you will
be on it a long time....be proud of your ride
cause you like it, not cause it cost less or more
or whatever

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

Go for an 04 ! Lighted Controls would be very nice. Also the vented windshield will help with the air push on the back when you ride alone.
Without a doubt ABS........If you do go with an 03 insist on ABS

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wing Purchase

You don't give much information to go on, but you'll get a lot of advice!

From what I've seen, if you are willing to travel, you can find dealers who really have great prices on Wings, whether they are '03's or '04's. If you can find an '03 at a great price, and outside the VIN range, I'd likely not go to an '04 just for the windshield and the lighted controls. I've added a Tulsa shield with vent for around $200. Lighted controls would be another $100 or so. Other than that, they are the same bike from what I can see.

Local dealer has them priced as low as I've seen anywhere.

I'm not unhappy with my '02 that I bought just as the 03's were out. I saved enough to add some things I wanted, like a CB. Personally, I wouldn't go without the CB of all the options. At the time, I debated whether to purchase ABS. I didn't, and have never had a problem, however, I am convinced that in the right conditions, the ABS would be advantageous. The next one will likely have it. There are a heck of a lot of bikes out there without ABS and the brakes on the wing are very good, even without ABS. A pretty smart fellow who posts here has an opinion that the Wings brakes were designed for ABS and will lock up too easily in non-ABS form. I've not had the experience, but don't want to either. The extra $1,000 for ABS would not keep me from getting it.

As far as color goes, you'd be better off with Black. Everyone knows that they are the fastest, coolest, and retain more value. 8)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hatfield said:
If you get the ABS, absolutely get the extended warranty which I think is worth getting even on a non-ABS bike. .
The owner of this site sells the extended warranty at a good price, has sales on it and will match any price you find. You don't have to buy it immediately, but do buy it before 2 years, 11 months so paperwork doesn't slow it down until it is too late.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... D=29896238

1 - 12 of 12 Posts