GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. When buying a used trike what should I look for(inspect)mechanically on the "kit" part of the trike? I am not very mechanically inclined but suppose there are some things a novice like me can do to try to insure a satisfactory purchase. Thanks in advance for input.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A lot depends on what kit it has, when it was installed how many miles on kit/bike, how does it sound when driving (driveline noise/lash) some kits had some issues on some years more than others! How are the tires most important is date code, this would be a starter for me. Also look under the rear to see if their is an excessive amount of oil leakage oily dirt which could be leaky seals or boots! Good luck..

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Has the front forks been "raked out" to at least a .5 or in my case I have a 5.5% rake.......(Roadsmith model)

Ronnie

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think more anything is how you feel about the seller. Is he a straight shooter? Feel comfortable around him. Honest? And so on. I am guessing you are buying from a private party. Is the house tidy? Are the cars clean? Blah blah blah. Whenever I buy from an individual I carefully look at all those things. Just speaks to how he cares for his possessions. Sounds sort of corny but works for me. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Bump. I'm also curious about the OP's question.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The first thing I did before buying my trike was research. I compared the cost of each kit as closely as I could. Then ask each trike manufacture questions at rallies and rode all the kits I was interested in while keeping an open mind. Narrowed it down to a Roadsmith or Hannigan for me (like buying a chevy or ford IMHO). Rode both back to back at the dealer and made the decision to buy the Hannigan. I bought new so wasn't concerned about maintenance records and the like. I now have 75K on it and don't regret the decision. BTW I could have also the Roadsmith with no second thoughts but just liked the Hannigan a bit more.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
The first thing I did before buying my trike was research. I compared the cost of each kit as closely as I could. Then ask each trike manufacture questions at rallies and rode all the kits I was interested in while keeping an open mind. Narrowed it down to a Roadsmith or Hannigan for me (like buying a chevy or ford IMHO). Rode both back to back at the dealer and made the decision to buy the Hannigan. I bought new so wasn't concerned about maintenance records and the like. I now have 75K on it and don't regret the decision. BTW I could have also the Roadsmith with no second thoughts but just liked the Hannigan a bit more.
Now that's funny, cause I actually did the same, BUT I prefered Roadsmith................It's like asking what's better Ford or Chevy .................There's really no correct answer here!
(As long as the vehicle is running good, were all happy...BUT at the first breakdown, their all called a "piece of shi#"" immediately......Amazing isn't it! ?? LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not having a trike, I don't know what exactly to look for. But, knowing and talking to mechanics that work on them provides insight.
Do the research and see who the trike kit manufacturer is and if they are still in business. Brake calipers, drive lines and universal joints seem to be the biggest parts supply issues.

When everything is working, it is not an issue. When something goes wrong, you need to be sure you can get the parts and supplies you need to get her back on the road. Vendors of said parts and parts availability are usually the biggest issue I have heard about. If the parts are Honda parts, there is seldom a supply issue.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Now that's funny, cause I actually did the same, BUT I prefered Roadsmith................It's like asking what's better Ford or Chevy .................There's really no correct answer here!
(As long as the vehicle is running good, were all happy...BUT at the first breakdown, their all called a "piece of shi#"" immediately......Amazing isn't it! ?? LOL

Ronnie
It might even bet funnier than you think. I was 98% convinced when I went to the dealer to buy a Roadsmith, however when it was converted they didn't get the forks adjusted correctly(this from the owner of Roadsmith) and I pitched forward and that was straw the broke the camel's back as they say. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Roadsmith. I've actually ridden a Roadsmith since then with the forks adjusted correctly and it's a great trike.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you're looking at CSC make sure it has their newest drive shaft set up. I had mine updated and it fixed their weak point I believe. The drive shaft has been the only issue I've had with mine.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
My list of preferred features:
-Independent rear suspension.
-Rake kit.
-Linked brakes, ABS preferred.
-Aux fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When you own a trike....I think the mechanical component that will most likely strand you is the drive shaft.
I take mine out every year during the off season for inspection and greasing.
No doubt it paid off when I found the eyes of the rear Yoke on the drive shaft to be stretched ( the u-joint caps were loose in the eyes )
It cost me approx. $60 to replace the yoke and u-joint, and it saved me a potential roadside breakdown!

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
It might even bet funnier than you think. I was 98% convinced when I went to the dealer to buy a Roadsmith, however when it was converted they didn't get the forks adjusted correctly(this from the owner of Roadsmith) and I pitched forward and that was straw the broke the camel's back as they say. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Roadsmith. I've actually ridden a Roadsmith since then with the forks adjusted correctly and it's a great trike.
I'm now on my third year, with this trike (knock on wood/all been good so far) My problem was when i had my bike converted into a R/smith, it was in the dead of winter, with a foot of snow on the ground..So my testing was somewhat limited, so i had to go by the words of wisdom of my builder, ...I did like the IRS that is offered by RSmith, I liked the idea of power steering (rake'd frontend) and all parts installed are all VW parts that can be purchased in my local auto parts store..
My builder is located 150 miles from me, so just stopping in anytime I want to get anything fix'd or adjusted is kinda out of the question....

I do have to say that my trike is totally babied, i ride it slow and easy, and all maintenance is done on time, so break downs, due to being beat'en, on is not happening ... (hopefully)

Ronnie

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
851 Posts
You ride it "slow and easy"? WHAT?:eek:4: Come on man, twist the throttle. You are not going to hurt it. Good on you, though for doing all the maintenance. Now, get out and put the pedal to the metal!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
You ride it "slow and easy"? WHAT?:eek:4: Come on man, twist the throttle. You are not going to hurt it. Good on you, though for doing all the maintenance. Now, get out and put the pedal to the metal!:thumbup:
A foot of snow is on the ground now, and it's actually snowing again.... As we speak! :crying::crying:
So instead I just pull out my snow skies, and head for Vermont mountains :smile2::smile2: That's when it's pedal to the metal, Black Diamond trails only.. Come on down! :kiss::kiss:

Dang! I can't wait till we ride again! Winter's seem to get longer and longer as I age.....:grin2: Am I the only one that feels that way???????????

Ronnie

·
Registered
851 Posts
Dang I wish we only had a foot of snow on the ground. February really kicked me in the crotch. We received 57 inches of the white stuff. In February. 57 inches. Crap! Today however is sunny and 19 degrees. Come August I think there’ll still be snow on the ground. Sigh......:eek:4:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts