GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow goldwingers, I have a Pirelli snow control on it's way for my new to me 03 GL1800. I'm looking for advice on what to expect as far as handling compared to a standard MC tire. I know I need to take it easy and get used to it, is there a break in period for this tire?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey fellow goldwingers, I have a Pirelli snow control on it's way for my new to me 03 GL1800. I'm looking for advice on what to expect as far as handling compared to a standard MC tire. I know I need to take it easy and get used to it, is there a break in period for this tire?

Initially the thing that most notice with a new CT is when you first stop at stop lights the bike will feel a little unbalanced do to the unleveled ground created by car and truck tires, but you should get used to it fairly quick.
Put around 36psi in the tire and it will handle great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'd go ahead and install a 'T' valve while the tire is off the wheel. That makes it easy to install TPMS, as most choose to do later. The 'T' valve allows you to dedicate one air valve to the TPMS, and use the second one for air adjustments.

If not a 'T' valve, at least get rid of the OEM, rubber based valve and install a steel one.

Lots of threads on the Darkside sub forum on here, that speak directly to the Pirelli SC.

Welcome to the Darkside.

Reactions: Monk and revrunt

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
There are several stretching and massage exercises you can do so your cheeks don't hurt so bad. Once you get used to it, you won't quit smiling. Ride safe, and welcome to the Darkside.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was terrified by the feel for about the first 100 miles. It's been described by some as"hunting", the tire wants to be tread evenly flat against the road surface so it "hunts" for the flat parts on the road. It sends a little wobbly feel to the rider. BUT that feeling goes away very quickly and you never notice it again.

I would never go back to the MC tire.

In fact, when I take the bike for service, the shop won't work on it with a car tire on, so I have to ride it @ 30 miles each way with the MC tire. It just feels so creepy now.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I also have the Pirelli Snowcontrol. This replaced Alpin.
Good advice to go easy first. You may start at 40 psi and then go down in pressure as you test the feel and performance. I'm happy at 38. With 4oz of balancing beads.
However the Pirelli has such a rounded radius, I don't believe you will feel much of a difference from the MC tire. Other than superior traction. In general I think you will be impressed and also enjoy the run-flat safety of this tire.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it installed the other day (Discount Tire), they had a little trouble getting it to bead up but finally succeeded. Put 3 oz. of balancing beads in and bolted her up (don't know why some have trouble getting the wheel back on, went on pretty easy for me). Rain the next few days, had a break today so I went for a ride. My first thought was "wow this is way smoother". Then I realized the preload was still set at zero. Stopped and set it to 20 and continued on. Honestly I didn't notice a lot of difference from the MC tire as far as the twistys, just a slight transition when leaning in to a turn. Definitely smoother even at 40 psi, best of all is the peace of mind knowing it has more weight capability and it's a run flat.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I was terrified by the feel for about the first 100 miles. It's been described by some as"hunting", the tire wants to be tread evenly flat against the road surface so it "hunts" for the flat parts on the road. It sends a little wobbly feel to the rider. BUT that feeling goes away very quickly and you never notice it again.

I would never go back to the MC tire.

In fact, when I take the bike for service, the shop won't work on it with a car tire on, so I have to ride it @ 30 miles each way with the MC tire. It just feels so creepy now.

GOOD LUCK!

What dealer are you going to for service?? Hanover Honda never mentioned my CT...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Got it installed the other day (Discount Tire), they had a little trouble getting it to bead up but finally succeeded. Put 3 oz. of balancing beads in and bolted her up (don't know why some have trouble getting the wheel back on, went on pretty easy for me). Rain the next few days, had a break today so I went for a ride. My first thought was "wow this is way smoother". Then I realized the preload was still set at zero. Stopped and set it to 20 and continued on. Honestly I didn't notice a lot of difference from the MC tire as far as the twistys, just a slight transition when leaning in to a turn. Definitely smoother even at 40 psi, best of all is the peace of mind knowing it has more weight capability and it's a run flat.
First, welcome to the forum from a fellow NW Winger.

I am thinking about going to the Darkside.

What size tire did you use?

Was Discount tire hesitant to mount the tire? Were they willing to balance it?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside. PM @Murgie for a Darkside number, and if wanting a Darkside decal see this post...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts