GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
TOTALLY DISAGREE!

Don't even know where to start... so I won't. I'll just say that the brand new Olympia 2-pc. Horizon rain suit is VERY comfortable, VERY breathable, and keeps you VERY dry. :yes1:

I love riding in the rain!
Then how come your crotch down to your knees is so wet? ...oh, sorry. :oops:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks everyone! We're going to do some more research. I was thinking since I have the Joe Rocket Hi-Vis Phoenix 5.0 jacket and my GF has the Olympia Hi-Vis touring jacket and both have liners, we may as well just shop for the matching pants. Olympia's matching pants are $89 and the matching Phoenix 3.0 are $135, I felt that we should just continue riding in jeans and strictly get complete rain suits for less than $100 each.

As for my (our...if she sees this post) trailer, it's actually a 1992 Nomanco. We found it tied to a utility pole for sale on the back roads leaving Ft. Wayne, IN last year after Wing Ding 34. It was in excellent condition and I didn't even haggle on the $1200 price. We went back the following weekend and picked it up with the p/u truck. It had a 5-pin round connector so that what type of receptacle/bike harness I ordered when I order the RIVCO hitch. I understand that HD uses this connection so I figured to do somthing different for theft reasons. An HD owner wouldn't expect to take a trailer from a Wing and a Wing owner would be surprised at the connection and wiring. I replaced all the wiring and it remained a 5 wire system (nothing shared) - ground, hot/running, left, right, brake, unlike a flat four. I replaced all the lights with LED's, added a matching 2012 GW lighted spoiler on the lid and found a set of 5 spoke aluminum rims (couldn't find directional rims to exactly match the bike). I've seen photos of this type of trailer, but none say Nomanco. In fact, it turns out to be an exact match to Time-Out Trailers' Dart model.

http://www.timeouttrailers.org/Pages/default.aspx

They have been very helpful and I bought the luggage rack for the lid, compartment weatherstripping, gas struts and fender bras from them. The parts fit EXACTLY! I also mounted a luggage rack from an HD Ultra Classic tourpak on the aero nose to fit a 28qt cooler. Over the winter, I shopped around and found a custom cycle shop, The Paint Spot http://go2paintspot.com/, that did the paint job and filled in the nicks and spoiler gap to the lid (so it looks like the spoiler was made for the trailer) for $1k. He got the paint codes from Des Plaines Honda and also matched our helmets for a minimal charge.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cabela's Guidewear is a great cortex rainsuit Buy 1 and you will never need another one. I ride no matter what and also a great fishing rainsuit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
THE NEW OLYMPIA 2-pc. RAIN SUIT IS OUTSTANDING!!! Lots of thought went into it's design; the coolest (air flow) rain suit I've ever worn, extremely comfortable, and MUCH easier to slip in and out of than others! I was skeptical to spend so much thru RevZilla for a rain suit, but am totally satisfied so far!!! :biker::rain1::thumbup: I highly recommend it!
I agree! Just got a set myself. Is great.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Ill second the Frog Toggs.
Which model of Frogg Toggs are most of you using that have experience with Frogg Toggs?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I sell Frogg Toggs ... most customers don't know one model from another .... no slam, just that there are so many numbers that it's confusing.

Best current model is the HIGHWAY in HI-VIZ ... great construction ... multi layer for durability ... $130 for jacket & pant.

Less money is ROAD TOADS ... made much lighter, cheaper ... but OK for $59.95 ...

FROGG TOGGS is currently out of stock on some of there most popular items.

Call me at COUNTRY GENTLEMAN ... 765-584-7848 ... 9-5 EST ... Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
Rain gear.

Another vote for Frog Togs. Been using them for years. They pack small and light,and keep you dry, and they breathe so you don't sweat in them ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I must have had either the Frog Togg Leak Toads, or Junk Toads, because they were utter garbage. i used to wear an old Dry Rider PVC rainsuit and it worked fine, but was PVC and not great in the comfort area. Frog Toggs I had I might as well have been naked riding, probably would have been less wet. After this error in purchase I got the Aerostich Roadcrafter after watching John Ryan ride the 5600 miles from Deadhorse to Key West in 3 1/2 days. A much better system, just suit up when you leave and don't ever stop to put on crap Chinese rainsuits ever again.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Tourmaster & thats it...:thumbup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
AeroStich RoadCrafter, one piece, rain? who cares, little to warm? open the underarm and back vents. We ride in the rain a lot up here, never been wet, ever! Great suit made in USA and tough as nails. The big plus for us is, we no longer have to stop to put on - take off rain suits. They are pricey:eek:4: but ours are now 4 years old and good as new. Last suit we will ever buy.
RoadCrafter works for me. On top of staying dry,, I was "realitively" cool going through Vegas at 110 deg too! Best damn money I've spent on gear!! Bar non!!

This pic is of me riding back from a RTE in St Louis.
Cycle World July 2012

Attachments

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I must have had either the Frog Togg Leak Toads, or Junk Toads, because they were utter garbage. i used to wear an old Dry Rider PVC rainsuit and it worked fine, but was PVC and not great in the comfort area. Frog Toggs I had I might as well have been naked riding, probably would have been less wet. After this error in purchase I got the Aerostich Roadcrafter after watching John Ryan ride the 5600 miles from Deadhorse to Key West in 3 1/2 days. A much better system, just suit up when you leave and don't ever stop to put on crap Chinese rainsuits ever again.
You must have got your Frogg Toggs at the same place I did.

Both pair of Frogg Toggs leaked in the seat seam. The Road Toggs were even worse, they leaked in the jacket zipper seam.

The Road Toggs are the ones I was wearing at the Tennessee Lunch run and I was soaked from chest to knees after the two hour ride to Falls Creek Falls from Sweetwater.
They were two years old and only worn 4 times, most of the time they stayed rolled up in my saddlebags.

The major failure of Frogg Toggs are the seams or zippers. Also, for some reason they don't store well. They work when new but they don't store well, not sure why.

Ended up buying an inexpensive Coleman rain suit at Walmart that worked better than the Frogg Toggs.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Road Toads by Frogg Toggs! Had them for years and for the money spent....the best on the market! They are also very easy to store and breathable...like a poor man's Gortex. JMHO :yes1:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts