GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up yesterday a 2005 GL1800 30th Anniv, Blue, with only 19k miles. After I get a Clymers, I'll dig into her later for my own expertise. The owner has just recently put her through the 24k service at local dealer. Fluids, filters, inspections, etc. I was surprised that they let the tires remain on it. Both are Dunlop Elites, but date codes are 4611 and 2412. So, questions are :

#1. Replace them asap or run awhile ? They are not dry rotted and the bike handles well.
#2 . It has a Hopnel drivers backrest that I cannot seem to remove or adjust. Online inquiries only show the new versions . Help from someone who owns the Hopnel please. This is the kind that has one vertical bracket that mounts thru a slit in the seat.
#3. Any advice on shorter windshields than stock ? I'm looking at Klock werks
#4. What's the deal with the front steering wobble ??!! It's not too bad, but is it normal for a 14 year old bike ?m I'm hoping it is the tires.

Tks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
#4) steering stem bearings are "notched" (as are mine on the '01).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, those tires are old and need to be replaced sooner rather than later. If your riding season ends in a few months and you are not an aggressive rider but rather enjoys loafing along and seeing the scenery slide by then get them changed next spring. If aggressive and likes taking corners hard and enjoy high speeds or you plan to ride in the rain then change them soon. They are getting hard.
I just bought a 2015 airbag model 1931 miles on it. If I ride down a smoothly paved road and take my hands off the bars they shake! Dealer mechanic said to ride it and quit taking my hands off the bars and it will be fine. Drives great but sometime in the future new bearings will be put in.
Enjoy your new ride!
Guy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bad at 19K?:surprise:
According to what I've read, (GoldWingGreg and others) it is possible. The All Balls kit is $45 and the replacements are tapered and pretty much permanent repair.
Put bike on center stand then sit on it. Turn the bars back and forth. Does it seem to want to "stick" at/or return to center? Mine do and it causes driver induced wobble (from extra effort to overcome the notched center detect you over correct one way then the other) when at extreme slow speeds. At hiway speeds it handles fine because most steering is all lean.
Since mine are not loose it causes no issues at speed. I'm not tearing into it until riding season (short enough up here) is over. Bearing kit is on the bench ready/waiting.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
According to what I've read, (GoldWingGreg and others) it is possible. The All Balls kit is $45 and the replacements are tapered and pretty much permanent repair.
Put bike on center stand then sit on it. Turn the bars back and forth. Does it seem to want to "stick" at/or return to center? Mine do and it causes wobble when at extreme slow speeds. At hiway speeds it handles fine because most steering is all lean.
Since mine are not loose it causes no issues at speed. I'm not tearing into it until riding season (short enough up here) is over. Bearing kit is on the bench ready/waiting.

The 2005 I had, acquired a bit of a wobble at 45 mph with the hands off the handlebars.. It ended up being the rear tire. FYI,:smile2:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
#3 I changed out to a Wind Bender and love it. I am a rider that must be able to look over the shield. The WB provides excellent wind management and has several adjustments. Love mine for several years now.

Fred

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, those tires are old and need to be replaced sooner rather than later. If your riding season ends in a few months and you are not an aggressive rider but rather enjoys loafing along and seeing the scenery slide by then get them changed next spring. If aggressive and likes taking corners hard and enjoy high speeds or you plan to ride in the rain then change them soon. They are getting hard.
I just bought a 2015 airbag model 1931 miles on it. If I ride down a smoothly paved road and take my hands off the bars they shake! Dealer mechanic said to ride it and quit taking my hands off the bars and it will be fine. Drives great but sometime in the future new bearings will be put in.
Enjoy your new ride!
Guy

. Thanks. I’m a combo rider - aggressive on twisties but calm on the straights. Just came off a K1200LT, which was a better handling bike, IMO. I will ride here in Texas throughout the winter. Less in summer. Avoid rain if I can. So I’ll keep an eye on these tires. They have about 7k miles. Tread is decent. Will probably go ahead and order new ones to R&R soon. Tks

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would spend some time reading thru the multiple tire posts on this forum, In the end though, IMHO, new tires with higher than owner's manual pressures would not only make you feel better but eliminate your wobble and improve the handling feel.

Definitely worth checking the steering stem bearings for looseness or a notch. If you tear into them consider some level of suspension upgrade. Many threads on this as well with various levels of financial investment.

Not sure your question on the backrest. There is a cross bolt joining the top section to the mounting bracket. To take the whole assembly off would require removing the seat but will leave a hole in the top. Big Bike Parts does make an upgrade kit to convert the backrest to quick detach if it is obstructing the pillion. http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=952797H&GroupGuid=338 If you just don't want it at all, put a post up in the classifieds looking to trade for a stock seat.

I personally find the stock height windshield fine, adjusted as necessary, but you probably want more air flow in Texas. When you buy a new shield, go ahead and get a vent. If you can afford it, a two piece windshield such as a Madstad or Windbender might be in order but before that maybe some Wind Wings by Baker, National Cycle or such might help. These are available from the board sponsors.

https://madstad.com/
http://www.firecreekacc.com/
https://bakerbuiltairwings.com/

·
Registered
364 Posts
From my experience most people who are 5'6" to around 5'10" really like the stock seats. I am 6'3" and do not. Also over time the foam breaks down adding to discomfort over distance.
If you like to log a lot of miles in a day then my go to seat maker is Diamond Seats out of Florida. Takes 2 to 3,000 miles to break in. After that I can be in the saddle 24 hrs and no discomfort. Same results over 3 bikes since 1990.
Every wing I have had doesn't handle as good as I wanted it to. Try braking hard and see if your front end dips way down and maybe even bottoms out.
Just putting a new set of good aftermarket springs in the forks and then a good aftermarket shock in the back will make a huge difference in handling. I am aggressive in the corners. Did this on my 84 wing (bought new in April of 85 and still own it) and couldn't believe the difference. Started bottoming out on my 1991 about 3 yrs after bought it. A good mechanic told me that nobody puts in stock springs that last more than 2 or 3 yrs. Put in good springs and it really helped. Then later I upgraded the rear. I noticed a tremendous difference then. Left my 2012 stock as I have a 2001 CBR 1100XX to go play on but it would have gotten suspension treatment later but due to a bad road repair that I found on a dark rainy night it went to a junk yard. This 2015 model is going to get an upgrade but not sure if I want to pay big dollars and go traxxion or other good but less expensive options. I do know that you can make wings into very good corner carvers for their size and still maintain the comfort too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Andy, I see we have had similar bikes over the years; mine were '82 Aspencade, '00 Valkyrie Tourer, among others.

I love this 1800, and like the backrest. I'm just looking for a way to adjust it rearwards about an inch. Sits too far forward for me, so will remove the seat and look at the other style bracket; or modify this one. The bolt is removable but does not allow any adjustment. mI'll check out the Windbender too. First will be a new set of tires. Ride safe & "watch the idiots"

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Put bike on center stand then sit on it. Turn the bars back and forth. Does it seem to want to "stick" at/or return to center? Mine do and it causes driver induced wobble (from extra effort to overcome the notched center detect you over correct one way then the other) when at extreme slow speeds. At hiway speeds it handles fine because most steering is all lean.
The test I use is to get up to 50mph in 5th gear. While on a smooth road, let go of the bars allowing the Wing to decelerate. Do the bars start violently moving back and forth ??? In most cases (probably 85% chance), you can correct that by installing tapered steering head bearings. Also, with tapered bearings it adds to rider confidence during low speed maneuvers. You will have much less "mid turn" correction. Some wings need tapered bearings before leaving the showroom.

To stop the violent bar movement, use open palms.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
On your hopnel …. Dont think they made your backrest they make the "pad" for it . In my opinion not much adjustment on that type you have should have bolt that you turn in/out i like the old "markland" brand - out of business - have kury now . Used to have utopia (took off) wasnt worried about purdy !! I use what works best for me . Enjoy yor ride !

Reactions: DALankford
1 - 16 of 16 Posts