GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made something for the wing, which will work with many other bikes. I'd like to see if I can get a patent and have no idea where to start. Anyone here able to guide me through it? I know there are online sites that charge a pretty good chunk of money. Is there a way to get a patent without the high cost? I'm not sure if anyone other than me would even use this and I would like to keep the costs down, to just be able to present it and see if there is any interest. thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've been involved in a number of patents, but always through work rather than as an individual.

Your best place to start is http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/index.jsp .

It is a very, very long process to obtain the actual patent (but in many cases you can get a provisional patent in less time).

Bust of luck.

Jason

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Having been successfully through the process, I would recommend a successful (not necessarily synonymous with expensive) patent lawyer to help guide and advise. They can both help you get through the process faster and improve your application and chances for success. Remember, time is generally not on your side in these things. FYI, I have no connection with any legal services.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I made something for the wing, which will work with many other bikes. I'd like to see if I can get a patent and have no idea where to start. Anyone here able to guide me through it? I know there are online sites that charge a pretty good chunk of money. Is there a way to get a patent without the high cost? I'm not sure if anyone other than me would even use this and I would like to keep the costs down, to just be able to present it and see if there is any interest. thanks.
Yes, here is what you need to do: forget all about a patent.

They are expensive to obtain and the ONLY thing they provide is a license to engage in expensive and protracted litigation AFTER someone infringes it.

For the small entrepreneur, the highest-yield strategy is 1) get in; 2) make your money; 3) get out. Design your business model such that you've made your target ROI before competition shows up and when they do show up, leave. Let the competition fight over a now-shrinking market while you pocket your money and move on.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Astute Reader is absolutely correct! For one thing, to file a patent you have to submit detailed information including drawings, etc. which are public information. A competitor simply obtains info and then proceeds to build product, OR slightly modifies it and builds it.

One point most people don't know is that to keep your patent you have to by law defend your patent against ALL infringements and/or challenges. That is very costly and time consuming.

Look around and see how many patented items you find on motorcylces.

Good luck with your idea!!!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I also think Astute Reader's idea is probably the best way to go! jump in, make money while/if you can, keep overhead/fixed costs as low as possible, be prepared to get out when/if the time comes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yes, here is what you need to do: forget all about a patent.

They are expensive to obtain and the ONLY thing they provide is a license to engage in expensive and protracted litigation AFTER someone infringes it.

For the small entrepreneur, the highest-yield strategy is 1) get in; 2) make your money; 3) get out. Design your business model such that you've made your target ROI before competition shows up and when they do show up, leave. Let the competition fight over a now-shrinking market while you pocket your money and move on.
I agree. Remember, the Gold Wing market is limited meaning there are only so many what-ever-it-is-you-invented that can possible be sold. Spreading the cost of a patent across fewer items makes the cost of production that much greater per unit, driving up the selling price and maybe pricing your item out of reach vs. benefit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts