GL1800Riders Forums banner

Advice on Schroeders

11K views 61 replies 37 participants last post by  clev 
#1 ·
I've been in touch with Jesse at Schroeder Honda in Hendersonville, NC about a 2012, option 4 Goldwing. I live in Texas and no one here can touch their price of $24k out the door. I'm to wire $1k to them on Monday, and the bike is due in on 1 August; I'll fly in, pick it up and have a very nice (hot) ride back to Tejas. Not knowing anything about this operation, I'm hesitant to send strangers $1,000. Anyone have first hand information about this dearlership and the deals the advertise on line?

I've posted my bike on Craig's list.

#3 ·
He is a big dealer you hear good and bad things from him. I live about 40 miles from him and when I was ready to buy the new models bikes had just come in and he had about 10 in crates in front of the store and when I told him I wanted the Silver ABS what is the price he told me to call him in about a week when he comes up with his 2007 prices. So I went to Southern Power Sport and road the same bike home the next day.

#5 ·
Yeah...I did the same thing back in March 2011. I sent Jessie a $1000.00 deposit over night on a 2012 navi/abs. It was due in may,then june,then july,then august.Well I decided to back out due to uncerntany when bike would come in. Jessis gladly refunded my deposit. I think they run a great busisness and can beat anyones prices.....untill a dealer here in concord matched there price.......Im very happy now riding my new Goldwing. I think you will be fine just make sure you pen down an exact date when bike will be delivered. I think the crises in Japan have really put a strain on there busisness since they normaly stock 200 Goldwings.Hope this helps,and dont hesitate over a 2010/2012 you will be glad you waited for the 2012........my opinion.

#8 ·
Bought my first Wing ('95 GL1500SE) from them. Very smooth and pleasant transaction. Obviously that was quite a while ago, but they're still in business so I guess that says something. Nice trip, too. Drove down from northern VA, picked up the bike. I rode and my wife drove the car home behind me. We toured the Biltmore estate in Asheville then home from there via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great way to break in a new bike!

#9 ·
I'm in Maine and bought my '06 from them. I had a real nice experience. Saved allot of $$ even after flying down to pickup, staying in hotel and driving back to Maine, 1200 miles. Thinking of calling for a trade-in quote. Going to test a Wing with Traxxion on Monday to see if I want to spend 2700 +- on it. If I can trade for 3 or 4 more, maybe a new wing is a better deal. Of course, that new wing will not have the Traxxion.

#10 ·
I flew in last Monday from South Fla., picked up my level 1 white Wing. Went smooth, no problems, was on the road back to Fla. With in 2 hours. Jesse and his family are great. Now the ride back to south fla., 99 degrees, even with sunscreen, i look like a cooked lobster after 788 miles. Schroader's beat all local dealers by quite a bit.

#11 ·
clev,

this Honda dealer has been in business for many years.
If cutting a check for a mere $1000 is making you nervous you may want to reconsider if you really need the new GW?
Look at it this way,,if it were a house you would have to cut a check for at least $2400 on an $24,000 item (10%),,, to get the ball rolling....:)

Something I ALWAYS consider,,and think about in something like this. Long ago,,,our mama told us,,if you have to "think" about buying something,,,anything,,,"You proabably really dont need it,,,,or you probably really cant afford it."
Talk about hitting the nail on the head! She said if you need something go out and buy it and forget about it!!! If you have to haggle over it,,or 'talk it over',,,you really dont need it.
Just something to consider.

take care,
bc

#12 ·
Thank all of you for the replies, I feel better. brc, I'm not concerned about the money it's going to cost me for the wing. Nor am I a foolish man with my money. Before I blindly send someone $1000, I want to know a little about them.

#13 ·
Thank all of you for the replies, I feel better. brc, I'm not concerned about the money it's going to cost me for the wing. Nor am I a foolish man with my money. Before I blindly send someone $1000, I want to know a little about them.
They are cool. No problems with them.

They have lots of stuff too, such as rear drives, extra rear rims and tires, just about anything you need you can call them and they will have it. Or get it pretty quick.

The shop in Sumter , South Carolina has good prices too sometimes. And that is another good dealer. High volume and will honor a Trike, which many will not.

#15 ·
I have no personal knowledge of Schroeders but they are a big high volume dealer and I would feel confident dealing with them.

Have you considered the dealer in Shawnee, OK, the two in Ark (Searcy and Russelville) or the one in MS? All offer similar pricing and are closer to take delivery. I bought mine in Shawnee, OK.

#16 ·
I have no personal knowledge of Schroeders but they are a big high volume dealer and I would feel confident dealing with them.

Have you considered the dealer in Shawnee, OK, the two in Ark (Searcy and Russelville) or the one in MS? All offer similar pricing and are closer to take delivery. I bought mine in Shawnee, OK.
Thanks Hb, I'll check them out.

#21 ·
I'm dealing with Schroader's. I'll fly in and pick up my Ultra Blue level 4 on Aug 8th. Accessory prices are good too. What part of Texas are you from?
:thumbup:
Jesse told me he had a C/Red level 4 coming in on the 1st (the one I hope to get), and he mentioned a level 4 Blue on the 8th; that must be yours. But obviously that's not you on the '12 Blue G/wing in your avatar; or is that a time travel picture? LOL.

I'm from San Marcos, b/t Austin and San Antone. The last time I was in Helotes was many years ago to see Fiddlin Frenchie Burk at Floores Country Store.

#22 ·
I live 5.2 miles from their establishment, and a native of Hendersonville. I don't care to do business with them and will ride as far as I need to avoid them.

I drove 4hrs to Southern Motorsports in Tennessee and had a great experience.

#23 ·
I live 5.2 miles from their establishment, and a native of Hendersonville. I don't care to do business with them and will ride as far as I need to avoid them.

I drove 4hrs to Southern Motorsports in Tennessee and had a great experience.
Was it something that Terry or his mother said? Has things changed since his son took over managing the business? Just curious?

#24 ·
They do have good prices. I bought my '05 from them. I wanted the 30th anniversary edition but was serving in Vietname with the USG at the time.

I was scheduled to leave the summer of '06 and was concern no more '05's would be available. I called and they said they would hold one; but I wanted to use my credit card to get the 19K points. They said no I would have to pay in full and they would hold it.

They did. I picked it up June of '06. I fly up from St. Augustine, FL and planned to ride it back. I got there and they had the bike ready but from then the service was terrible. As I was sitting at the desk completing the paper work (it was with one of the family members) he took a phone call from someone wanting to buy a bike and spent 30 minutes talking with the customer and kept me waiting. I guess he figured he already had my money and didn't need to give me good customer service and that his time was better spent hooking a new customer.

With that said I have not had to deal with them again and would probably shop around for a better price elsewhere if I did it again. Or at the very least I would be prepared for this type of service.

I would say shop around, how are the prices at Cool Springs?

#25 ·
Was it something that Terry or his mother said? Has things changed since his son took over managing the business? Just curious?
Well, you got a minute? lol

I had a 2004 Heritage Softail I wanted to trade for a new 'Wing back in '09. Since I'm local I went over to Shroader's to look at his bikes, of course, since I knew he had good prices on them. (BTW, I appreciate all of the info from this great forum, it helped greatly in my decision.)

I asked Terry to give me a price for a new Wing with my H-D as a trade and he went over to his desktop calculator and made me a little printout showing the numbers: $9,500 for my H-D and LIST PRICE for a new Wing.

Wow, I thought. So I asked "Why does your bike go to list price with the trade-in?" His reply was something to the effect that he needed to make money on the trade-in. I'm thinking, when you sell the H-D for $12,500 you've just made a couple of grand.........

So, since I'm religious at researching before I purchase, I happened to come across Southern Powersports in Chattanooga, TN. They beat Terry's price by $500 without and would give me Kelly Blue Book for my H-D - $10,500. Sounded like a no-brainer to me!

But, I did call Terry and let him know that I'd rather support the local businesses when I can and asked him if he wanted a chance to compete with Southern. He said "the price is the price". No problem at all I said, but I will be glad to bring you the maintenance and get accessories from him. He replied: "No, you'll have to take it back from where you bought it." Of course I laughed out loud and said that MR (in Biltmore) would be glad to do the service. (I had already asked them, since Terry had this reputation already.) I kindly finished the call by telling him that I'll certainly help him advertise this policy.

So, here I am doing so. This is not my opinion, but his stated policy. As a private business owner he has all the rights in the world to have whatever policy he wants, I will just not support him. No biggy though, he has plenty of business and certainly doesn't need me. There are several war stories I could tell from bad experiences by other locals, but since they weren't my personal experience I will keep them to myself. I personally know their former mechanic who was there many years. He is at Dal-Kawa now and I will take any major issues to him if I have any. He is one of the best Wing mechanics I know.

I will continue to support and promote Southern Powersports, I had a great experience with them when I purchased my new Wing! No surprises at all.

Also, Direct Line Parts has a facility here in town that I'm able to get accessories from. They always exceed my expectations!

As a business owner myself, I take every opportunity to make sure a new customer has no desire to look elsewhere to do his business, even if it costs me in the short term.

#26 ·
Well, you got a minute? lol

I had a 2004 Heritage Softail I wanted to trade for a new 'Wing back in '09. Since I'm local I went over to Shroader's to look at his bikes, of course, since I knew he had good prices on them. (BTW, I appreciate all of the info from this great forum, it helped greatly in my decision.)

I asked Terry to give me a price for a new Wing with my H-D as a trade and he went over to his desktop calculator and made me a little printout showing the numbers: $9,500 for my H-D and LIST PRICE for a new Wing.

Wow, I thought. So I asked "Why does your bike go to list price with the trade-in?" His reply was something to the effect that he needed to make money on the trade-in. I'm thinking, when you sell the H-D for $12,500 you've just made a couple of grand.........

So, since I'm religious at researching before I purchase, I happened to come across Southern Powersports in Chattanooga, TN. They beat Terry's price by $500 without and would give me Kelly Blue Book for my H-D - $10,500. Sounded like a no-brainer to me!

But, I did call Terry and let him know that I'd rather support the local businesses when I can and asked him if he wanted a chance to compete with Southern. He said "the price is the price". No problem at all I said, but I will be glad to bring you the maintenance and get accessories from him. He replied: "No, you'll have to take it back from where you bought it." Of course I laughed out loud and said that MR (in Biltmore) would be glad to do the service. (I had already asked them, since Terry had this reputation already.) I kindly finished the call by telling him that I'll certainly help him advertise this policy.

So, here I am doing so. This is not my opinion, but his stated policy. As a private business owner he has all the rights in the world to have whatever policy he wants, I will just not support him. No biggy though, he has plenty of business and certainly doesn't need me. There are several war stories I could tell from bad experiences by other locals, but since they weren't my personal experience I will keep them to myself. I personally know their former mechanic who was there many years. He is at Dal-Kawa now and I will take any major issues to him if I have any. He is one of the best Wing mechanics I know.

I will continue to support and promote Southern Powersports, I had a great experience with them when I purchased my new Wing! No surprises at all.

Also, Direct Line Parts has a facility here in town that I'm able to get accessories from. They always exceed my expectations!

As a business owner myself, I take every opportunity to make sure a new customer has no desire to look elsewhere to do his business, even if it costs me in the short term.
wireedm, thank you for sharing your experience and reasoning and I can see your point sorta... There were times that I was :22yikes: at Terry mostly due to his occasional business demeanor which came across as being somewhat arrogant but all in all looking back it usually ended with a win-win outcome and in most cases the only disappointments were usually mail order items and isolated to turn-a-round times and shipment issues.

By the way I used to live in Hendersonville as a kid and attended Etowah school back in early sixties and we lived on Green Acres dairy farm which is now a residential subdivision... :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.