GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm getting back into the motorcycle world after 14 years away (the kids are gone)... I'll be buying a new wing this winter. I'm an engineer that likes to build things and am planning on constructing a trailer with a trailing link independent suspension. It looks like motorcycle shocks are the way to go but I'm worried that if I get ones that are too strong (compliant) the trailer will bounce. Any suggestions?
Dave

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Trailer Suspension

Dave,

I'm sure that if you contact California Side Car, they would be happy to sell you their independent air shocks that they incorporate into their Escapade trailers. Good luck with your home made built trailer.

Happy trailering.

Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Keghead,

I am looking at doing the same myself. I may try bicycle shocks as they havs less capicity than motorcycle shocks. I have found some that were air adjustable for the preload and dampining. If I can find the site for the shocks, I will forward.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
Good luck,you will need it. I would leave it to the exoerts,Bushtec and Tailwind.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I have been looking to do the same thing, but unfortunately I don't think a standard motorcycle shock and coil over will work. Even something off of a small street bike would be too stiff.

Since I am looking to build a trailer that is small, using a pair of Goldwing saddlebags, I was going to start looking at shocks for the motocross bikes that are built for kids. I am figuring a bike that is about 200 lbs and designed for kids up to 100 lbs should be about right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts