GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice would be appreciated:

For several years I have used a Shoei X-11. In the winter I used a separate visor with a Fog City fog shield. The Fog City was very effective, durable and relatively aberration-free.

Alas, I retired the Shoei earlier this year (5 years - you're gone:cry:). I bought an Arai Profile as a replacement. I love the Arai.:p

My question is this, has anybody tried the Arai pinlock systems for fog relief in the winter? I'm debating that versus another Fog City. I think one of the "advantages" of the pinlock would be that it's removable. That's not an advantage for me as I intend to keep the modified visor for winter use only. I'd end up getting the Fog City with a new visor cheaper than the pinlock system, but hopefully either way will last me the next 5 years!

So, my question is this: Fog City vs. Arai pinlock for:
1. Effectiveness
2. Durability
3. Optical clarity

Thanks

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Pin lock is not an Arai system, but a system on it's own. I have Pin lock in my HJC. I have used Fog city, and prefer PinLock. Much more durable, clearer, and very effective.The only caution would be to never use any thing but very little soap and water on the P/L it's self.If you use Plexes you will ruin the shield.
Mick

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
i have been using a Pinlock shield for about 8,000 miles, the reason i bought it was because i was sometimes having very serious fogging issues when riding in the rain, i have riden in quite a bit of rain with the Pinlock and so far it has NEVER fogged :thumbup:
have not got to use it in real cold weather yet but i highly suspect fogging will not be a problem there either :thumbup:
i have been using Plexus and Honda polish to clean the Pinlock and have not noticed any problems

optical clarity ? the Pinlock is not as clear as just a regular Arai faceshield but it not really a problem, on a cloudy day it seems as clear as a regular faceshield, but on a sunny day sometime i get reflections, i believe they are caused by the light reflections between the Pinlock and the faceshield, it also happens at night sometimes, its not really a problem but its there, i never remove the Pinlock because i want to makesure its there when i need it and with my Arai XD it takes more than a few minutes to remove or install the Pinlock, i used to use a product called Fogtech to prevent fogging and it worked great, the only real problem was the Fogtech needs to be reapplied frequently and if u get caught in the rain without it recently applied your screwed, Pinlock solves that problem

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I used a Fog City for a while, but if you try to clean it you can scratch it very easily. I ended up discarding it because it became so scratched I could hardly see through it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll go the pinlock route on this helmet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts