GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

This is my first post other than an introduction.

Here’s the situation...

We are closing on our house Monday and won’t close on our new house until October 23rd.

So we will be in a hotel for a little over three weeks.

My new to me Wing (2001 with 97,000 miles) will be parked outside at the hotel.

It is my daily driver so I’ll be on the bike every day.

I just hate the idea of it sitting outside.

I live in Dallas so right now it’s pretty much just hot and dry.

Am I worrying over nothing? Should I buy a cover?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Howard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Make sure it has a way to secure the cover with a lock; otherwise you might come out in the morning and find the bike, but no cover...;)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have both Half and Full covers. I never use the Full.
I take the 1/2 cover when ever I travel-tour. Never worry about it getting stolen. They are relatively cheap and help keep people from messing with the bike when parked over night. I have a rope I strap around the cover and bike about engine section, incase there is heavy night winds projected.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
268 Posts
Often times, the Hotel will allow you to park under the covered area at the entrance - as long as you are more or less out of the way of other guests. Weather protection and in view of the desk clerk usually and possibly even in security camera range.
I say that, but I'm sure some places may not allow it. I find the areas of the country that appreciate motorcycle tourism dollars are more willing to do this.

I'm in almost the same boat as you. Our house sold in 11 days. We close on our new one the 18th of October.
We spent 3 nights in a hotel then finally just put our travel trailer in an RV park close to my job. Not ideal but $315 a month in the RV park sure beats $300 for a weekend in the hotel.
My brother in law was kind enough to stable my wing in his garage until we get moved in.
God I miss my bike

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure about your Wing, but mine was not only made to live outside, it was made to be road outside. I've road my Wing in 120 deg. Phoenix heat, over a mountain passes where it is snowing and 30 deg., in hurricane weather with sideways rain and wind gusts of 70mph, over roads that are now a river, in hail storms with such big hail that hits my legs like gulf balls, and in lightening storms so bad that the cars duck for cover.

However, not all Wings are equal, and yours might need a special place to sleep at night. Have you considered parking yours in a She Shear She Shed for those warm, calm Texas nights ???

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I always use a half cover on the road. My atitude is out of sight out of mind. If they dont see all the buttons and whistles they wont be tempted to touch them and so far its worked for 12 years.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
As the others have stated, rest well. Cover the bike, see if you can park it where you feel most comfortable. All should be well...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ultragard half cover. Readily available. Cheap. Keeps idle hands away from fiddling but otherwise no real security. Still, keeps off dew, frost, excess sunlight, etc.. Packs small. I take it on all my road trips. It lives on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I have Ultragard half and full-I find after using booth I can put the full on almost as quick a the 1/2 cover....I prefer the full cover now over the 1/2 for the added protection. Here in Hot Florida I will use the 1/2 for around town if I will be parked outside for a few hours...otherwise I don't use either if not parked very long. But on tours I always use the full cover. You will find your joy after trying them both they are not that expensive. They are lightweight and pack really small is a bonus speaking of the Ultragard covers.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Ours have been parked at motels all over Canada and the US over the last 15 years.

Don't even own a cover.

A little dew can soften the bugs and make them easier to wipe away.

Sometimes we lock the steering.

I certainly wouldn't be worried, unless you stay in a lot sketchier motels/neighborhoods than we do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies...

As far as riding in inclement weather, I sold my truck last fall and traded an old Lexus for the Wing.

My wife thinks I’m nuts

I work 3 - 4 days a week in outside sales roaming the DFW Metroplex. If it’s a work day I ride.

As far as a “She Shed” never heard the term. Sounds like something you’d find in Florida, not in Texas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I spent 37 days in hotels this summer on my cross country trip and never had a problem.

Like everyone else; use a cover.

Also, ask the hotel for room where you can look out and see your bike.

I slept better when I knew I could peak outside and see it okay.

Good luck on the new house!

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
As far as a “She Shed” never heard the term. Sounds like something you’d find in Florida, not in Texas.

LOL ... now that's funny :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
LOL ... now that's funny :)

Greg, that's a funny response too. A great technician with a GREAT sense of humor too? What a great combination!

This is an example of why I love this Forum. At many of the motorcycle forums, these two exchanges would have prompted a verbal fight. Here at this place, it's merely two cowpunchers having fun trading jovial word phrases with each other, and both of you having a fun-loving laugh about it.
It doesn't get any better than this. Thanks to both of you!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I don't use a cover when I travel so the bike might be out in the elements for a couple weeks at a time and it's never seemed to hurt anything. As such, I'm sure the bike will be fine without a cover but it might keep the seat a bit cleaner in case there are birds or sappy trees in the parking lot.

I'm in Arlington and have a cover I haven't used in a couple of years as I'm able to keep the bike in the garage. You're welcome to borrow it for your month. PM me if you are interested and I'll give you my address.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Hey everybody,

This is my first post other than an introduction.

Here’s the situation...

We are closing on our house Monday and won’t close on our new house until October 23rd.

So we will be in a hotel for a little over three weeks.

My new to me Wing (2001 with 97,000 miles) will be parked outside at the hotel.

It is my daily driver so I’ll be on the bike every day.

I just hate the idea of it sitting outside.

Thanks,
Howard

I would buy a half cover . Easy on easy off

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to cover mine at hotels. Then I realized 1) if any damage is done to the bike it's riding it down the road in the wind/rain. 2) I can use the space in the saddle bag for more important things.

"As far as a “She Shed” never heard the term. Sounds like something you’d find in Florida, not in Texas."

Aren't we supposed to call it a "They Shed" or "It Shed" now? :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts