GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Garmin 2820 with all the installation hardware and wiring, including a satellite antenna. :D :excited: I've never owned a GPS before, nor had a satelllite radio hookup of any kind. The hardware and electrical connections look pretty straight-forward, but I guess you never know until you actually get down to business. :tools1: I expect to do that tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I would appreciate any advice, pointers, tricks, etc. any of you might have to offer.

A few specific questions: Should I be "preping" the GPS unit before hooking it up on the bike? I opened the box enough to know that there is a v. 8 disc, but I don't know yet if it's just back-up that they include for what's already loaded, of if the unit has only v. 7, and I need to download the new maps, etc.

How quickly do they activate an XM subscription?

I'm going to be hooking up my bluetooth phone, and know that I have to have my phone "locate" the GPS bluetooth connection. :chatter: Anything else?

TIA for whateveer you have to offer me. :bow:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
What 'wiring' did you get? You'll need some way to get the audio into and out of your helmet (unless you've got a BlueTooth helmet headset adapter). The music does not transmit over the BlueTooth connection, only the phone audio.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon:

I got the complete package from CycleGadgets so all the audio will be directed into our headsets that plug into the bikes outlets. It's all the KTG components for the 2820/Golwing 1800. Although I've only glanced at the parts, it appears that the system provides a plug-in splice to the audio (where the rider's headset cord receptacle plugs into the bike's wiring), as well as power and aux plug-ins.

As I said, it looks complete and straight forward. I was just wondering if there are any obstacles I might encounter that those of you with experience might help me avoid or overcome. :?:

I didn't notice before, but it appears that this is your business. If so, I apologize for not ordering from you! :oops: I'd rather give my business to someone on this board, than someone who is not. It's especially nice of you to offer advice under the circumstances. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No problem - it sounds like you have all you need (assuming you got the 2820A cable).

The XM doesn't take long to activate, it's a pretty painless process. The disk in your box is for route planning (and eventual map data upgrades), the GPS will be ready to go once you get it all wired up.

I'd recommend testing all of the functions before you button everything up, JIC.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 2820A cable, so I guess I'm good to go. I'll certainly do as you suggest, and check it all out before closing everything up. Thanks again for your attention. I'll post a post installation message and let you know how it all went.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts