GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of performing the 24,000 mile air filter change on my 2005 Goldwing. During my inspection, only a few specticles of dirt were found. The air filter was last changed during the 12,000 mile maintenance performed by a local independent shop. My question to you, would you replace it with a new air filter at this point? Bear in mind, I have ridden my Wing throughout the entire year, including Winter, since I purchased it 10 months ago. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Given the cost of a new filter and the time it takes to get to it, why not go ahead and put in a new one and then you won't have to worry about it for another 20,000 miles plus. JMHO

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Do it but don't go back in to do it again until you hit 50,000.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
I think a lot has to do with your general area conditions. If it's dusty area and you go a lot on dirt roads it likely will have to be changed more often. In my part of the world I can easily go 25 to 30K miles before changing. Even then its really not dirty but while youre that far into the bike, I do change it anyway. I changed one recently for a guy from the Los Angeles area that had 15K on it. You could hardly identify it because of the grease and I presume smog laden air.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Change it if you've gone through all that trouble, mine wasn't bad after 14,000. miles but changed it anyway.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I am in the process of performing the 24,000 mile air filter change on my 2005 Goldwing. During my inspection, only a few specticles of dirt were found. The air filter was last changed during the 12,000 mile maintenance performed by a local independent shop. My question to you, would you replace it with a new air filter at this point? Bear in mind, I have ridden my Wing throughout the entire year, including Winter, since I purchased it 10 months ago. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
You should have waited until the pollen season is over. My bike is turning yellow :roll:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I pulled my spark plugs after 37k to see what they looked like. No dirt or anything on them. looked fairly new. i had them all pulled out so i thought i might as well change them. i now know they will not be needing to be changed till at least 100k. Do the same with the filter. now you know that it will not be needed to be changed for a long time

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I vote to change it since you have all the tupperware off...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I changed mine at 30k. The filter looked like new but I changed it because I was already in there.

I was dumb enough to change it again at 60k. I was amazed that the second one looked like new as well.

Do I "feel better" because I've changed my filters? Heck no! I feel stupid because I didn't learn my lesson after the first one.

YMMV... I suppose :shrug:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
You say it was changed @ 12,000 and I would ask why, but to late! I would wait and change it @ 37,000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts